Read any good books lately?

681 to 685 of 685 messages
gingerfurball    pirate
29/11/2012 at 09:57

I've downloaded Les Miserables (free on Kindle) to read again before I go and see the Anne Hathaway film...I couldn't get through the book before without crying (actually weeping and wailing!!) - so I'm not sure if I'll make it through in the cinema...will remind myself on the story first.

30/11/2012 at 17:15

I've never managed to make it through Les Miserables - the book - managed the musical though!

LN - having a Kindle has widened my reading - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies being one I wouldn't have bought but quite enjoyed in an odd way

Just reading Stephen King 11/22/63 - tis a good read - about going back in time to stop the assassination of Kennedy 

30/11/2012 at 18:48

I'm halfway through reading Nabokov's Pnin. it's hilarious.

30/11/2012 at 18:50

it's no unlike curb your enthusiasm.

01/12/2012 at 00:11
Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
anyone read any of the rabbit series - updike.

I just finished all the "Rabbit" books. I am happy to recommend these. They are:

1. Rabbit, Run

2. Rabbit Redux

3. Rabbit is Rich [this got John Updike a Pulitzer Prize]

4. Rabbit at Rest [this got John Updike a Second Pulitzer Prize]

The books are each written a decade apart, so you get the protagonist in his 20s in  about 1960 in the first book, in his 30s in about 1969-70 in the second book, in his 40s in 1980 in the third book, in his 50s in 1989-90 in the fourth book, seeing his life and American society change as he ages. A clever way of writing a series of books if an author is young enough at the start and has the patience.

The prose is first class.

There is also a fifth book, "Rabbit Remembered", a novella, which I read too, but you don't need to read that one, it isn't really part of the series although it follows the "ten years further on" pattern, and it isn't as good as the four listed above, so I suggest you could usefully give that fifth one a miss.

Edited: 01/12/2012 at 00:55

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
681 to 685 of 685 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.