Read any good books lately?

61 to 80 of 679 messages
26/03/2008 at 15:39

Picked up a copy of Brian Keenan "An Evil Cradling" in the charity shop a few weeks ago - an account of his being held hostage in Lebanon. Absolutely amazing book - I found it hard to put down. Some of it is obviously harrowing but there's a real thread of redemption running through it.

Highly recommended.

26/03/2008 at 15:40

I've a soft spot for Marian Keyes  but only because she loves Strictly Come Dancing.

Lots more good ideas here.  Mind you, I've got a few that I need to read on the shelf already.

PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 15:40
Ha ha RTS!  You're welcome!  Am trying to convince a mate to get into fell running with me now...  
26/03/2008 at 15:41
HL - I know what you mean. I should have started this thread when I had no books to read and needed inspiration.
IronM.in    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:10

Is anyone else like me in that they have more than one book on the go at a time - I currently have 5 on the go and which one I read depends on what mood I'm in.

I can't remember exact details of them all, but will look and post later.

I also read War and Peace and found it a brilliant book.

26/03/2008 at 16:18

Plodding On - yes, get on the mountains. There's no doubt a whole sub-genre of appropriate literature. Although I can only think of 'Heidi'

26/03/2008 at 16:25

IM - no, I really struggle with more than one book on the go. But you know men and multi-tasking...

I finished War & Peace last year and didn't find it particularly worth the effort.

PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:26

Horrible though because I am in London RTS and the only place I know to go and find a mountain is in Wales...  

Maybe I should just move back and bother the Welsh again 

26/03/2008 at 16:29

Iron Min - I often have 2 books on the go but don't think I could manage 5 - I normally have one that I can't put down and one that I come back to every now and again.

War and Peace - must be almost 20 years since I read that - thought the first 500 pages were great but found it a bit hard-going towards the end.

PloddingOn - I'm sure the Welsh wouldn't mind if moved back

PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:31

Hahaha - wait until Token gets here....  

26/03/2008 at 16:42

I liked Heller's Catch 22 a lot. Lulls you into a false sense of security then hits you in the face with a brick.

Metaphorically of course. It wasn't one of those interactive books.

Plod - M1 North, exit Jn29 - Peak District.  M1 then M62 - Yorkshire Dales / North York Moors.  M1 then M6 Lake District. The world is your fell running lobster.

RTS

26/03/2008 at 16:44
Misread - thought for a minute PO was announcing Tolkien's imminent arrival. Then I realised he's dead, and she typed 'Token'. I finished Don Quixote this year after three of four failed attempts. Final verdict, as with War and Peace, was "okay but not really worth the effort".
PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:45

Ah but am completely reliant on public transport.  Or hire cars.  Which I should really get onto, but is far more orgnisation than I am good at!

Will moan until I realise that it's that or nothing. 

And will more than likely rent a car 

PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:45

SVT - Token = Token Welshman who tends to yell at me a lot and threaten to leave me with Welsh "locals"

Scary thought 

26/03/2008 at 16:49

M1 North, M6 North, M54, A5 - Snowdonia.

M1 North, M6 North until it ceases to exist, A/M74, M73, A/M80, M9, A84, A85, A82 - Fort WIlliam, and the Nevis Range.

26/03/2008 at 16:50
(And the last part of that journey is superb scenery, over Rannoch Moor and through Glencoe. Work out how long it takes you to get to Milton Keynes, then add 10 hours!)
PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 16:56

See - I have climbed Snowdon, Pen-y-Fan and all those.  My thing about London is that you can't just pop out - even if it's an hour away on a train.  You have to hire a car and turn it into a weekend thing.

Directions up to far places of the UK is brilliant.  But it's not something I could realistically do every weekend 

26/03/2008 at 17:02

....returning to books

Ones I have particularly enjoyed are:

We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lionel Shriver)
The Magus (John Fowles)
Sick Puppy (Carl Hiaasen)
The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon or similar)
The Secret History (Donna Tartt)
The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)

for starters....

PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 17:05
Good grief ST - you been preparing that all day? 
PloddingOn    pirate
26/03/2008 at 17:05

They also sounds like Mills and Boon type books...

Are they books that SHOULD be discussed on a running forum?  Hmmmm? 

61 to 80 of 679 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.