Read any good books lately?

101 to 120 of 679 messages
27/03/2008 at 10:35
Kwality! I wish I'd done English Lit A-Level instead of Language. It's one of those "might do it if I have some spare time" things.
27/03/2008 at 10:52

I'm not sure that studying e.g. English helps enjoyment of literature because you're always aware that you will have to answer questions on the book.  I know that doing a History degree put me off Historical Fiction for years because of that (and because some of it is terrible).

PloddingOn    pirate
27/03/2008 at 10:59
I was fortunate.  I loved reading and always have done.  So in school, I actually read the books and enjoyed them.  I suppose it helps that I am a really fast reader anyway and tests showed that I borderline skim, but still take everything in.  Means you get through more books quicker 
27/03/2008 at 11:00
Oooh luck you PloddingOn.  I have always loved reading and got through loads of books as a child but probably not as good at taking things in (which is probably why I don't like exam questions!)
gingerfurball    pirate
27/03/2008 at 11:01
Of Mice and Men was carp too!! 
27/03/2008 at 11:01
Of Mice and Men was good, I though, but not Steinbeck's finest.
gingerfurball    pirate
27/03/2008 at 11:06
I'm reading Romeo and Juliet again at the minute...only cos a jrGFB is doing it for GCSE and needs help with the course work!!I honestly don't think the kids were given a complete book to read...all I see is various photocopies of transcripts!
27/03/2008 at 11:27

my fave author of ALL time is Robert Goddard.  He mixes thriller into real history and usually the stories span decades.  he is also from the south west so some of the towns are familiar to me.

27/03/2008 at 11:39
My Manchester United years by Sir Bobby Chalton -quality read!
27/03/2008 at 11:40
BRT - has he actually had any other years?
27/03/2008 at 11:41

Sick.

Right, I'm off. Laters.

27/03/2008 at 11:47

You deserve it after a busy morning.

I too am all forummed out for a while and am going for an early lunch to recharge my batteries.

27/03/2008 at 12:31

Ballini - I also like Robert Goddard a lot. 

27/03/2008 at 12:38

oooh - someone else has actually heard of him!!!

love em all!!

IronM.in    pirate
27/03/2008 at 13:26

I'm a fan of Patterson too, but yes it doesn't do to read them too closely together - I find the same with Natalie Cole - you just know what is going to happen next after a couple of books.

I did Eng Lang and Lit at school and got A's for both - much to the angst of my teacher who hated me mostly cos I was probably better read than her! My Mum was a big one for reading to us when were little but didn't bother with kiddy books - oh no, we were straight into the Classics. Pride and Prejudice at 3 yro anyone? It worked though - we're all voracious readers with wide vocabs.

27/03/2008 at 13:28

Min - that means you need to read some Mallory Towers and Famous Five or you're missing out.

Jolly hockey sticks, spiffing good reads.

27/03/2008 at 13:30
And lashings of ginger beer.
IronM.in    pirate
27/03/2008 at 13:34

Swallows and Amazons - I devoured those books! And The Magic Faraway Tree.

In our own time we were allowed to read books of our choice - it was just bedtime stories that had to be highbrow!

Every Saturday morning we would all tog up, walk across the mountain to the village library, chose our books, stop at the sweetshop for our weekly allowance of goodies and then walk back home via the castle clutching our library books. When you got to be in your teens, you were allowed 4 books!

Edited: 27/03/2008 at 13:35
27/03/2008 at 13:40

Loved the Mallory Towers and St Clare's books - in fact I got them for my neighbours daughter for Christmas.  The urge to go to Boarding School didn't leave me until I was about 25.

My fav all time line in a book is at the end of Lady Chatterley's Lover.  'And so John Thomas says goodnight to Lady Jane, a little droopingly but with a hopeful heart'

Ah bless.  i still think it's hilarious the book was banned.  Read all three versions I loved it so much.  The final version was definitely the best though.

27/03/2008 at 13:43

Last night form the libary

Scott of the antartic (not the one by ranlph finnes)

The real forgotton solider(WW1 stuff)

The devil riders(about the charge of the light brigade)

About 2500 pages all in all. Should keep me til sunday lunch time

101 to 120 of 679 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.