Read any good books lately?

141 to 160 of 685 messages
PloddingOn    pirate
02/04/2008 at 12:30

I am nearly done with the Long Walk to Freedom.

Am big girl and have been crying through it - awesome book! 

02/04/2008 at 12:33
Can't say I've ever cried at a book. But then again, I've never cried at a film or TV programme either.
02/04/2008 at 12:36
You're just rock hard, SVT
02/04/2008 at 12:38
Or heartless.
02/04/2008 at 12:46
no  that is not true
02/04/2008 at 12:47

Awww, thanks beebs. You say the nicest things.

(sniff)

PloddingOn    pirate
02/04/2008 at 12:48

I cry in books 

I have a VERY active imagination

Actually, my old lit prof reckons it's empathy and compassion that makes you cry 

02/04/2008 at 12:49

I cried at a book today

SVT

02/04/2008 at 19:58
I cried at the end of The Time Travelers Wife....... but then I'm soft
02/04/2008 at 21:22
I've been crying with laughter at my latest book. It was given to me by Min and it's very funny indeed. It's called "how triathlon ruined my life" need I say more?
02/04/2008 at 21:32
me too Mrs Pig! even though I knew what was coming I still blubbed for the final 15 or so pages!
02/04/2008 at 22:03

oooooooooo! A book thread!

I shall curl up with it and read from the beginning. At the moment I'm reading Penny Vincenzi's latest (coz it was half price in WHS), about the Lloyd's scandal, and I'm listening to The Book Thief, which is fab.

02/04/2008 at 23:14

I'm ploughing my way through something like "English Folk Traditions through the year". iT'S MORE INTERESTING THAN IT SOUNDS

02/04/2008 at 23:17

Scoot, sorry for shouting. It's a good read. 1 of 3 books I got for mothers day. Last one I read was "Pies and Prejudice" about life in the North of England. I may have laughed out loud a couple of times...mainly at Yorkshire people

Still got a book on the history of slave trading to go...just as well I'm a history geek, with a side interest in folk customs

03/04/2008 at 10:46

Seems like there's a few closet history geeks on here!

I'm enjoying 'A quiet Belief in Angels', although I'm only halfway through. Well-written, if trying a little too hard to be Steinbeck (namechecking him so often only serves to highlight this).

Jj - audiobooks sound like a good idea for when I stat increasing the distances again. Do you find you enjoy listening less than reading though?

03/04/2008 at 19:06

chuck it in the bin SVT - it's rubbish - not worth finishing - it is a cheap copy of steinbeck (who gets mentioned a couple of times in the book)

the author is not fit to lick the boots of steinbeck who kept my attention and made me think on every page of "the grapes of wrath" whereas "a quiet belief in angels is boring" lots of words and description does not make a good book if the metaphores are just piled on top of each other for the sake of it

and

this really annoyed me - do you reckon some people in the middle of hicksville USA would have known about the nazi gas chambers before the US entered the war - when the allied forces didn't even know about them - sloppy writing in my opinion!!

did i mention i didn't like it?

kittenkat    pirate
03/04/2008 at 19:09

Starting Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Yes, yes, not aimed at my stereotypical market.......

04/04/2008 at 08:47

Maybe it's old age but I find I am reading more history books than fiction these days. 

Two that I read recently which are excellent are:

Great Game - Hopkirk : About the contest between the Russian and British empires for supremacy in Afghanistan and India. For readers who like Flashman. 

In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War - David Reynold

Both of these were in my local library, which was nice. 

04/04/2008 at 09:12

I've finished my folk traditions book, so will start on the slave trade one tonight. The reviews look good (bought it after reading the review in the Saturday papers in Febraury) so hope it lives up to what they've all said.

The last book I threw away half read was "Half of a Yellow Sun". Couldn't get into it at all, struggled from the first chapter and then decided life is too short and crappy to bother reading books you don't like just because you feel you "should" do

Do any of the history geeks on here know any books which might give some background to the WWI Mesopotamia campaign? Just found out my grandfather served there and I'd like to dig a bit more into it.

04/04/2008 at 09:16
I read Matt Rendell's "The Death of Marco Pantani" recently: it serves a cautionary purpose re the perils of EPO use (and cocaine abuse) I guess, although the stats got a bit too much after a while. I'm also trying to plough through Bryan Magee's "Confessions of a Philosopher" but it's hard work.
141 to 160 of 685 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.