Reading as you run

41 to 50 of 50 messages
18/10/2012 at 10:52

I've never read while running, but I have tried to compose stories while I was running. It made a nice change from thinking about what had been happening at work that day.

18/10/2012 at 10:59

This is why you need the dictaphone, you see.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 11:00
18/10/2012 at 11:16

I just found a funny review for it.

18/10/2012 at 13:56

gul dar - i don't think its a coincidence. that must be why it is being serialised here http://www.mobydickbigread.com/

its pretty good, not sure about the david cameron chapter though!

furball - i love it so far. it's so.....so......redolent

18/10/2012 at 18:08

I tried reading actual physical books on the treadmill when I was studying for my A-levels.  I ended up with so many bruises on my arms from where I ran too fast and hit the front of the treadmill that I went back to loud music and mental oblivion!

The audiobook idea is a good one though - I might have to try it.  Not that I have a treadmill now that I'm a poor student, but people might look at me strangely if I start running along the road with my nose in a book (I say that as if I'm not clumsy enough already...)

18/10/2012 at 18:12

The dude... which was your favourite Dickens? I'm doing that predictable thing of reading all of them in order and I'm up to David Copperfield. Only just started that, so I have to say I rather liked Barnaby Rudge so far, the first of his 'historical' novels.

18/10/2012 at 18:42

daisyjess - now that's impressive. when I was injured I used a cross-trainer and I could (just about) read on that but a treadmill? that's hardcore

im ultra training at the moment so i find audio books particularly beneficial for those long slow miles. not sure how it would work for a tempo run...maybe a thriller!

peter - i like the humour and the detail of the old curiosity shop but overall?...great expectations.

18/10/2012 at 20:29

Do the dickens novels have to be read in a particular order then ? I thought they were individual books so it didnt matter. I've just downloaded Great Expectations

19/10/2012 at 12:53

Carterusm, Dickens' novels are individual books, but a lot of people read them in chronological order to see how he progressed as a novelist.  They get a lot more subtle as you go through them - Oliver Twist sort of beats you around the head with melodramatic goop but by the time Dickens got to Great Expectations he could really write incredible books!  GE is one of my favourites, especially the bit in the marshes.

(yes, I like books  )

edit: and some people are like me ie. anal enough to read them in order just because!

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 12:55
19/10/2012 at 12:57

Is there much sex, violance, drugs, aliens in any of his books ??

Nothing wrong with being anal 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 50 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.