Ready Steady Cook

looking for new recipe ideas

15 messages
19/11/2006 at 19:44
if you've seen the show, you know

contestant has a mixture of food items and the shows cooks come up with sometimes interesting meal ideas

so over to you

I have
mini chicken fillets
baked potato
sweet potato
curly kale
eggs
mixture of veg carrots, broccoli and cauliflower

over to you
19/11/2006 at 20:16
personally what i would do is ...

1-bung it all in the fridge
2- ready steady phone a takeaway !!

but then my cooking skills go as far as pouring water on a pot noodle!
x
jaggy...    pirate
19/11/2006 at 20:48
What did you have?

I would have made sweet potato chips with a cheesy cauli and broccoli bake with the chicken grilled - keep the kale for tomorrow and serve with some crispy bacon on the baked potato with a salad of rockett, strawberrys, blackberrys and raspberrys with a balsamic dressing!

Just a thought...
jaggy...    pirate
19/11/2006 at 20:50
In fact keep the strawberrys - marinate them in balsamic and serve with a bit of marscapone and shortbread for dessert!
19/11/2006 at 20:53
Ditch the sweet pots, dice everything else cook off add the stock then put in the blender for a nice thick warming soup.....

Serve with a nice crusty roll......
19/11/2006 at 20:54
19/11/2006 at 21:06
lorraine thanks did you see the same programme as me earlier today, thats why i got the kale, see what its like and try something different, my meals are getting a bit boring need to liven them up.

Jaggy not had anything yet, ordered shopping on line coming tomorrow when i'll try something new.

Never had sweet potatoes either so thought i'd try them to
Damn i knew i forgot something - Bacon. :(
19/11/2006 at 21:24
yes Pammie I was watching - I watch every week. I find even I can manage Simon's recipes. The Magic Pudding last week was yummy but I didn't like to think how many calories ;-)
19/11/2006 at 21:34
I prefer Big Cook Little Cook
jaggy...    pirate
19/11/2006 at 21:37
I love big sweet potato chips - they are the best! Slice them and roast in olive oil - just fab!
Blisters    pirate
19/11/2006 at 21:41
The kale's great as a side veg if you treat it simply. Chop it into broad strips and microwave in a lidded casserole and a half glass of water for 2 or 3 mins. Maybe add some chopped garlic before you cook it.
Next time add chopped toms instead of water.

Sweet potato (great idea) and other potato: Hotels would do a mixed sautee of all the veg, I CBA with all that grease.
I think I'd go for sweet potato boiled then diced big or is it diced big then boiled? Ordinary potato boiled in a separate pan - the timing will be different. If you end up heading to mash, then add a large spoon of seedy mustard and a knob of butter to help it.

The chicken. Any chance of marinating it before you grill it on a kebab? Half an hour would do, but overnight is better. Try plain yoghurt and ground cumin, or soy sauce and olive oil marinades. I'm assuming you don't happen to have buttermilk, no I thought not.

Which gives us 6 eggs to make a pudding.
If they are as fresh as fresh can be, then chocolate moosse (help I can't spell!) in individual ramekins.

If they are a bit "yesterday", then we'll cook with them. Chocolate souffles? Bread and butter pudding? Poor Knights of Windsor? Microwaved steamed pudding with custard? A million cake recipes? You can make, cook, and be eating a Victoria Sandwich in 30 to 40 minutes. What about pancakes or crepes suzette?

Oooooh I'm hungry now....
Blisters    pirate
19/11/2006 at 21:45
Even better idea for pudding.

Individual baked Alaska.
But you'll need a bit of cake for the base layer, a good slice of proper ice cream, and a topping of whipped up meringue. A super hot oven just to crisp off the meringue peaks and WOW.
19/11/2006 at 21:50
Thanks blisters they sound yummy.
jaggy...    pirate
19/11/2006 at 21:59
Blisters - great ideas for the week ahead!

Just finished dinner:

Butternut squash salad with parma ham

Steak stewers with roasted veg

Pear and chocolate in filo pastry

washed down with a nice dry white...

My wifes a fab cook!
jaggy...    pirate
19/11/2006 at 22:00
Foe stewers read skewers!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.