Religion

Never discuss religion or politics they say

21 to 40 of 61 messages
12/06/2013 at 15:05

Nicky are you thinking of this bit? (rendered in lego).

12/06/2013 at 15:08

No mystery really though - the major religious texts were all written by men. Human men with political agendas and a hunger for power and control.

People just like to be sheep though don't they? Look at these idiots following this Aussie bloke calling himself Jesus. Heaven forbid you should think for yourself and make your own decisions in life - so much easier to let someone else tell you what to do.

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 15:09
12/06/2013 at 15:26

That and others like it lit!

Those poor, poor lego people.

12/06/2013 at 16:05

As far as I understand it. Groups held together by religion were on the whole more successful than those not.

The original co-operative, all singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak.

True that most; if not all religions were strung together by men, with an ulterior motive. The more modern religion's certainly were. Nothing more than a means to a shag-a-thon with a bunch of paedophiles added for bad measure.

12/06/2013 at 17:12
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Religion. A good thing or bad? Just seen a haunted young girl on TV. Just wants to grow up in Syria. Is it religious differerences that stop her ? Would the world be worse off or better off without religion?

Can be good or bad but on balance bad.   Why we privilege religious belief over other  ideology or identities i don 't know - people should be free to believe what the like and religious belief should be no more protected or persecuted than other beliefs.      

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 17:13
14/06/2013 at 16:13

There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it, creating fundamentalist terrorism.

Some prime examples are the morons who murdered the soldier in Woolwich the other week. Most Muslims are peace loving individuals, but these morons give the religion a bad name. The same can be said for the IRA terrorists of the 1970 and 1980s, or the Catholic priests involved in abuse scandals, or the Klu Klux Klan members in America who preach hatred against black people.

Religion isn't the problem, but extremism is.

14/06/2013 at 16:57

Fuck me Friday just got a whole lot worse

14/06/2013 at 17:12
literatin wrote (see)

Nicky are you thinking of this bit? (rendered in lego).

that is sooooo good

14/06/2013 at 17:28
Rickster wrote (see)

There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it,

See that's where I'd differ. The problems often begin when people read it properly and stick to it.

14/06/2013 at 17:38

It's still just hocus pocus voodoo nonsense.

14/06/2013 at 17:52

Seems the non peace loving minority of Muslims in Syria have killed over 100,000 people. Good job they are a minority. 

14/06/2013 at 18:03
Rickster wrote (see)

There's nothing wrong with religion on the whole, but the problems begin when certain people misinterpret it, creating fundamentalist terrorism.

but how do you know who's interpreting it correctly?

For me the religious aspect is problemmatic - because it leads to some people believing something as unquestionnable and not using their critical faculties.

14/06/2013 at 18:33

When a hypnotist picks people out of the audience to do his tricks he knows who to pick, generally the dicks. The religious leaders alsp spot the dicks to carry out their bidding. Gullible people fall prey to religions. I don't know of any atheist extremists

seren nos    pirate
14/06/2013 at 18:42

they are loads of extremist who are not based on a religion though..........so probably atheist.

some extremists are found amongst the following

animal rights people
Anti nuclear protestors
keep britain british
football supporters.( not so bad nowadays)..

anywhere where you get a mass of people together you will get extremists.....

14/06/2013 at 18:55
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Seems the non peace loving minority of Muslims in Syria have killed over 100,000 people. Good job they are a minority. 

I'm quite liking what's going on in Turkey - people protesting about having a certain ideology imposed on them. Good to see it's not all one way.

14/06/2013 at 19:19
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

When a hypnotist picks people out of the audience to do his tricks he knows who to pick, generally the dicks. The religious leaders alsp spot the dicks to carry out their bidding. Gullible people fall prey to religions. I don't know of any atheist extremists

You might be forgetting a few communist leaders that slaughtered millions then

14/06/2013 at 19:39

This is true. On a personal level people can charm/persuade people into doing just about anything, it doesn't  have to be connected with religion.

Hitler was apparently personally charismatic, as was Idi Amin, as is your average psychopath. People have lied, killed, cheated, stolen and turned their backs on their families under the influence of people like them.

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 19:40
14/06/2013 at 20:15

Hitler was very Charismatic, but what aided him was a country where the normal working man had been deserted by the politics of the day. This is similar in some respects to the recent rise in popularity of the UKIP party, and our mainstream parties deserting the middle English voter.

Hitler tapped into a certain mood and gave them very basic human requirements in return, a little more earning power a look at new affordable technology and hey presto, a feeling of being listened to amounted to a new superiority. Stalin did it with electrification of cities and education for all, but took them on a similar ride to Hitler.

15/06/2013 at 07:36

Religion only exists so I can wear a dress and not be frowned upon by my own family

15/06/2013 at 08:37
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Hitler was very Charismatic, but what aided him was a country where the normal working man had been deserted by the politics of the day. This is similar in some respects to the recent rise in popularity of the UKIP party, and our mainstream parties deserting the middle English voter.

Hitler tapped into a certain mood and gave them very basic human requirements in return, a little more earning power a look at new affordable technology and hey presto, a feeling of being listened to amounted to a new superiority. Stalin did it with electrification of cities and education for all, but took them on a similar ride to Hitler.

I wouldn't disagree with that but the point being made was that you could have atheist extremists (or at least those who don't claim that wat they are doing is in the name of God/Allah/Yoda) as well as religious ones. Economic circumstances often help determine whether either sort of group rises or falls.

Edited: 15/06/2013 at 08:37
21 to 40 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.