Religion

Never discuss religion or politics they say

1 to 20 of 61 messages
12/06/2013 at 13:33

Religion. A good thing or bad? Just seen a haunted young girl on TV. Just wants to grow up in Syria. Is it religious differerences that stop her ? Would the world be worse off or better off without religion?

12/06/2013 at 13:36

Religion is just how our inbuilt tribalism comes out, if it didn't exist we'd find another way to discriminate as it is in human nature, we love things like us, we hate what is different.

12/06/2013 at 13:39

So would the hate still be there without religion? Is religion just a vehicle for hatred of one set of people to another?

12/06/2013 at 13:41

Yes the hate would be there, we think we're intelligent and that we've outgrown instinct, but instinct is probably the greater intelligence

12/06/2013 at 13:55

Yes I like that. People fear their own instict because it has no backing of a philosophy recognised by society. Hard to believe that YOU are right and a religion backed by millions is wrong. But even religions can't agree on anything. More Muslims have been killed by Muslims than any other religion. Same goes for Christians.

12/06/2013 at 14:01

Religion and politics are being discussed all the time everywhere as far as I can see. 

12/06/2013 at 14:15

Almost as often as people work with animals and children.

Actually, nativity plays should be a big fat no-no, shouldn't they?

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2013 at 14:34

people just use religion as an excuse........

religion is used for many good causes in the world.............buts sadly by extremists of those same religions for horrible cause

12/06/2013 at 14:39
Intermanaut wrote (see)

@Screampillar - How is asking why the OP cares either negative or obtuse?  I'm neither, but I have no time for petty whiners who think they're entitled to whinge their way through life without being offended.

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

More Muslims have been killed by Muslims than any other religion. Same goes for Christians.

I think you'll find that most Christians (not sure how the stats are these days) are killed by Lions

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2013 at 14:40

Probably not Nick.............how many people in the tudor times alone were killed for wither being catholic or protestant at the wrong time.....multiply this across a number of european countries

12/06/2013 at 14:42

That's maybe becaue Lions had died out by that time and they had to kill them another way

12/06/2013 at 14:43

It's like most big ideas isn't it. It can be a vehicle for good or bad.

In the end the problem is people drawing a circle around who is or isn't part of the "in" group and shelving all the tolerance bits that had to be there to prevent the religion being persecuted to extinction when it was powerless.

Once your in group is too big you have to have schism and division otherwise you run out of enemies, so eventually you get more killing within the group of sects with a common origin than with other groups.

Wherever religion has been largely abandoned it hasn't really produced a significant change in ordinary peoples lives, other than a significant reduction in the number of silly hats sold. So bad news for milliners I suppose.

I would rather religion didn't exist but I suspect that nationalism, tribalism, or some other bad idea would stand in its stead everywhere and no-one would significantly benefit

12/06/2013 at 14:51

Or as previously stated we would revert to anything that we could use, as we're led by our instincts

12/06/2013 at 14:54
seren nos wrote (see)

religion is used for many good causes in the world.............buts sadly by extremists of those same religions for horrible cause

What surprises me is just how much truly horrible shit it is possible to justify using a holy book. The Old Testament alone can be used to justify really, really, really unpleasant things. Why don't the lovely huggy peaceful Christians just disown those bits? It's not like they haven't edited it before. Why keep printing such hateful nonsense?

12/06/2013 at 14:54

Yes, discrimination and hate of the other will always find a way.

12/06/2013 at 14:55

I think most people DON'T trust their instincts. If they did the world might be a better place. People think the big organisations must know better. 

12/06/2013 at 14:56

The bible like the koran is probably vague by design, if you give a straightforward plan for life why would anyone argue

12/06/2013 at 14:58

I can't fathom it. 

Religion made absolute sense when we were unable to explain the heavens, plagues, floods and other natural disasters.

Now that we can, what purpose does it serve apart from the community thing?

12/06/2013 at 14:59
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

The bible like the koran is probably vague by design, if you give a straightforward plan for life why would anyone argue

I wouldn't mind the bible being a bit more vague in the bits I'm thinking of. It's terribly specific about how to deal with people who try to convert you to another religion, have a bit of the good old bum sex, or eat shellfish. Also encourages a bit of genocide as long as god is on your side.

12/06/2013 at 15:02

The Q'uran is total obscure poetry. You can make it say anything you want. To peace on earth to kill the infidels. Today's religion is the EU. Are their charters any more clear. Is that why lawyers get paid millions to decipher it. The Imams of Europe?

1 to 20 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.