Ribena Tax

21 to 26 of 26 messages
05/02/2013 at 11:30

But couldn't you also say how many packets of fags does it take to give someone lung cancer?

05/02/2013 at 13:14

i'm pretty libertarian when it comes to this sort of thing. educate people and give them the information they need to make an informed decision. if they still want to smoke 60 a day or drink 50L of coke a week, then fuck em

05/02/2013 at 14:46

Yes you could xine267.  Just mean that as an occasional pepsi drinker I don't think (or hope) I'll be losing a foot soon!

According to that advert for cigs though, don't they say that one cig will cause a change? 

05/02/2013 at 15:29
xine267 wrote (see)
popsider wrote (see)

There are a range of things they could do but I would go further than voluntary agreements.   Maybe ban advertising and make any drink or food judged to be over an unhealthy level of refined sugar be sold with cigarette style labels - name of product, health warning and pictures of Shane McGowan's teeth or a diabetic ulcerated foot or similar.  Diet drinks could be labelled similarly but with warnings they are full of chemicals that will make your appetite go haywire and probably give you cancer.  In other words let people have the unpalatable truth about it at the point they consume it.

I love this idea, but I don't think it would ever happen. They could do a version of the advert with the guy smoking the tumor-ridden fag, but with 2l bottles of coke and rotten teeth.

Putting death labels on fags doesn't stop people smoking, because everyone legally old enough to smoke knows they're bad for you. The same would apply with food, no one could be so retarded as to eat like a pig and wonder why they're 20st, they know why, but choose to ignore it because food tastes better than being hungry.

The problem with this country (all western countries) is that calorie high food is too easilly available. Not just that we no longer have famines (despite what some rich farmer might tell you about how bad his crop was!) and shelves are always full, but because there is so much access to ready to eat products.

If you went to tesco and could only buy basic food stuffs, nothing processed, you'd think a bit more about what you eat, and if you wanted to eat pies you'd have to do some work, and making you're own chocolate would have you wondering why you're bothering.

13/02/2013 at 10:59

That's very true! I think I wouldn't want some of the convenience food at all if I saw how they were made and what went in to them.

13/02/2013 at 11:05

Did anyone see the story about the woman in New Zealand who drank 10l of Coke a day and died of a heart attack? Coroner has said that it was a substantial factor in her death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21423499

I can't believe that someone can drink that much of any liquid on a normal day, even counting water, tea & coffee, juice and the milk I have on my cereal, I doubt I get up to 4l of liquid. Let alone Coke - it makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.