Rice

Cooking/Recipe ideas

16 messages
04/06/2007 at 17:47
I've never been a lover of rice, a bit bland i always thought. But last month when in London tried some and you know what i actually liked it full of flavour. Yum Yum

Normally my carboydrates consist of Potatoes, bread occassionally pasta and cereals for breakfast. Not all in the same meal

So wanting a healthier but delicious meal tried to make my own at the weekend. Got some Basmati rice with some saffron. It was ok, but it wasn't as good as it could be.

Any ideas
04/06/2007 at 17:49
Risotto!
Plum    pirate
04/06/2007 at 17:51
boil it :-)

In a bag
04/06/2007 at 17:51
I like to make rive with frying a bit ogf onion, then using half water and half chopped tomatoes and simmer
stier in a load of cheese

whoops that is not healthy is it

yesterday i added mint and peas to cold rice

or stir in some harissa paste
04/06/2007 at 17:52
Plum    pirate
04/06/2007 at 17:54
Boil eggs and rub through a sieve. Chop parsley fine and set aside. Boil water, add salt. Pour rice in boiling water slowly; let boil uncovered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil haddock in another pan on high flame for 10 minutes. Remove from fire; remove bones from fish and flake meat. Drain rice and set aside.

Heat butter in a saucepan; add curry powder and rice; stir. Add smoked haddock to rice and cook for 5 minutes; add 1/2 of hard-boiled eggs. Remove from fire and place on a platter. Garnish with remaining eggs and parsley.
yum kedgeree
if you just want plain rice with some "bits" in try

cooking it with coconut milk instead of water

adding some chopped coriander or peas/broad beans or similar when cooking

nutty rice - dry fry some almond slices/pine nuts/red lentils/channa dal/ sesame seeds etc - until nicely toasted (I often do a mix of all them) and then add to the rice before cooking it.......lovely
Plum    pirate
04/06/2007 at 17:55
2 c cheddar cheese

1 egg

1/2 lb beef, minced

1 tbsp cooking oil

4 oz rice

1 small onion, chopped

1 c tomato soup

1/2 pint water

1/2 tsp salt

Dash of pepper

1/4 tsp mustard

1/4 tsp mixed dried herbs

Procedure

Grate cheese and beat egg. Add to meat and mix well. Shape mixture into balls, adding dry flour if needed. Heat oil and fry balls until brown. Put rice and balls in a casserole. Saute onion and cook for 2 minutes; add tomato soup, water, salt, pepper, and herbs.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour this mixture into the casserole. Cover and bake 350°F for 40 minutes. Stir before serving

Plum    pirate
04/06/2007 at 17:57
Marinate pork in soy sauce, wine, and cornstarch at least 10 minutes. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and pour eggs; stir quickly to make a fluffy omelet. Remove from pan and set aside.

Again heat 3 tbsp oil; add marinated pork and cook on high heat; keep stirring until well done. Add green peas and cook for a minute. Set aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil; add green onions, sauté for a while, then add cooked rice. Mix well. Add salt, cooked eggs, pork, and peas. Mix again. Serve immediately.

04/06/2007 at 17:58
god i am hungry

rice with bacon and cheese
Plum    pirate
04/06/2007 at 17:58
http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/recipes/recipes.htm

I cant cook to save my life ............................ But I can google with the best of them ;-)
04/06/2007 at 17:59
Nasi Goreng's my favorite rice dish.

6 oz (180 g) Basmati Rice
1 inch (2.5 cm) Piece Fresh Root Ginger Finely Chopped
6 Spring Onions Finely Chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic Finely Chopped
2 Eggs
4 oz (100 g) Peeled Prawns
2 Teaspoons of Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoons of Groundnut Oil
1 Heaped Tablespoon Fresh Coriander Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper

Cook the long grain rice, (if you are not using leftovers.)
Chop all the ingredients that need chopping (ginger, onion, garlic and coriander). Once you start cooking, you need everything to hand. Keep the white part of the spring onions separate from the green part. Chop the coriander stalks as well as the leaves.

Beat the eggs together with the salt and the sesame oil.

Heat the groundnut oil in a Wok or frying pan, and fry the garlic, ginger and the white spring onion until they start to turn colour.

Add the cayenne pepper (not too much as it's better to have gentle heat to complement the ginger).

Then add the beaten egg mixture and stir fry it until it starts to 'scramble'. (Or make an omlette of the egg then when it's cooked, shred it and put it on top of the dish prior to sprinkling with the green spring onion and coriander garnish)

Add the cooked rice and the prawns and stir until heated through.

And finally, add the green spring onion and chopped coriander, and serve.

Yum.
04/06/2007 at 18:14
Thanks for all the recipes so far, they all sound delicious.
Robborunner, thanks for the link not seen that website before. And plum too.

Googling - can i put that on my cv?
04/06/2007 at 19:05
Oh yes, nothing quite like a good google.
04/06/2007 at 22:20
Rice pud too.

Lots of variations on that theme.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.