royal godparents list

didn't realisesuch sexism still went on

1 to 20 of 90 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
23/10/2013 at 15:09

read a list of the childs godparents.and there are loads.....but all the married women were addressed by their husbands titles.........

even Zara Phillips was addressed as Mrs Michael Tyndell

I honestly thought this bygone way of women being the mans property had gone decades ago......

I can accept Mrs Zara Tyndell if she has taken his name and its her name...but why on earth is it the mans name on their name

23/10/2013 at 15:13

Errrr ........ we're talking about Godparents ..... you know that make believe ceremony about a make believe character. I think thats the bigger issue here.

23/10/2013 at 15:14

no its not Mr A....

23/10/2013 at 15:18

So females using a males name, which they have done for centuries is a bigger issue than giving titles which have no basis in law (anyone wanting to challenge the role of godparents should Wills and Kate meet their unforunate demise could legally do so) ....... based on a make believe character is a bigger issue.

You really sure about that?

23/10/2013 at 15:19

Did you really not realise such sexism still went on Seren?

Have you ever seen this website?

http://www.everydaysexism.com/

23/10/2013 at 15:22

ahh sexism ........ like you see in the family law courts every day ...... why is it that fathers automatically get custody of their children and the poor mothers never get a look in. So unfair.

23/10/2013 at 15:26

that was only the case Mr A until the 70's.....they now look at cases on an individual bases......

which is better than assumming men are always right

23/10/2013 at 15:28

So its a 50/50 split then????

23/10/2013 at 15:31

i don't think i said that at all Mr A.....

Scream.not sure about that site,.the first lot i read seemed not much to do with sexism.but with drubk people trying oit on and people not knowing how to handle it.........

it might have been sexual agression and shouldn't happen but its not what i would think of is sexism..something that happens purely because of someones sex.

23/10/2013 at 15:32

Mr A, this is purely anecdotal but the only guy I ever knew personally with access issues was an arsehole of the highest order - I wouldn't have left a goldfish in his care, let alone a child. 

23/10/2013 at 15:33

Seren - you haven't read very far down the list then.

23/10/2013 at 15:39

i am disappointed in the list.

it lacks diversity.

23/10/2013 at 15:40

it shouldn't need diversity.it should be the couples friends and family who they trust.......its their child and so their choice..I just think that they should also pay for it.but thats another matter

23/10/2013 at 15:48

yes, but their friends and family should be more diverse. it is the 21st century.

23/10/2013 at 15:49
skotty wrote (see)

i am disappointed in the list.

it lacks diversity.

Ha, I hope youre taking the P there. Royal family and diversity? Yeah you cant move for all the people who originate from Hackney and Tower Hamlets in the royal family.

23/10/2013 at 15:55
seren nos wrote (see)

Scream.not sure about that site,.the first lot i read seemed not much to do with sexism.but with drubk people trying oit on and people not knowing how to handle it.........

Hmmm... I'm a bloke and even I can see that this kind of behaviour goes on at least in part because the idiots involved think it is normal behaviour, since it's been normalised by similar antics going on since whenever.  And it only goes on in one direction as far as sexes go, so I'd call it sexist behaviour.

23/10/2013 at 16:16

I must say I do wonder though, Phil, why more of the women affected don't kick up a fuss when this stuff is happening in public? It worries me that they are intimidated so easily. 

The few times I've been groped by a Neanderthal I've gone apeshit on them. I walloped one of them and I was only 15 at the time 

23/10/2013 at 16:19

There are still Neanderthals around? Has the scientific community been informed?

23/10/2013 at 16:22

Definitely. Actually that flatters them - they're probably more the level of amoebas on the evolutionary scale 

23/10/2013 at 16:23

On a more serious note, do you expect any better from the unrepresentative anachronism that is the royal family?

1 to 20 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.