Royal Mail delivering spam advertising

My postie thinks that everybody on his round is called 'the occupier'...

1 to 20 of 28 messages
10/02/2014 at 22:14
Any thoughts on this folks? Each week I get about 10-15 spam advertising letters and leaflets put through my door by our postie. Everything from car insurance to British gas and even double glazing. All of the letters are to 'the occupier, the home owner etc but are not actually addressed to specific door numbers so they are basically spam mail. Surely I am not the only one who is really pissed off about this? This is not a pointless rant though because I have the solution- and no it is not an eventclip. Anything that gets put through my door by the postie that is not addressed to myself or the good lady, gets pushed back into a post box so royal mail can return it to sender or dispose if it how they wish. If we all do this they will stop spamming us as it will not be financially viable for them to have to sort through all the crap they have spammed. I have enough stuff to recycle without having to sort junk mail! Anyone else get loads of this crap too?
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
10/02/2014 at 22:28
I collect it all up and stick it in the post box in town on a Saturday morning
10/02/2014 at 22:28

I get loads, but if it helps keep the postie girl in a job I don't mind too much.

10/02/2014 at 22:30
Yes, most of it from beardy Branson offering TV and broadband.
I'm not sure of the legality of it all but it must be some reason why it has "occupier" on the front.
If I could be arsed I'd put "return to sender on them" or find out Bransons address and send it all back.
10/02/2014 at 22:52

I just scoop it up and plonk it in the recycle bin unopened.

It helps keep postie in a job so I really don't mind at all.

11/02/2014 at 00:32
I find the keeping someone in a job argument a bit lame. My postie is a lovely fella. Before the spamming started he had a huge bag that he took rounds his walk everyday. Since the spamming began he has has to push a giant pram with a box on it because he has about 2-3 times the load to shift. The walk would still need doing even if the spamming stopped. His life would just be easier.

Millsy- you don't need to put return to sender on it- just stick it in a post box, because as there is no physical address on it, it can not be returned to you do RM will have to keep/dispose of it. My guess is that it is cheaper to pay rm to leaflet houses than to pay them to deliver letters via the standard process, not yo mention cheaper printing costs by having every spam exactly the same, hence no address and the occupier/home owner crap on the spam.

Dave- Keep up the good work!
11/02/2014 at 00:38

Royal mail deliver the stuff under one of their business products, probably http://www.royalmail.com/marketing-services-regular/deliver-your-campaign/door-to-door As a person with a letter box you can a product which stops them delivering it to you, so they win all round!

11/02/2014 at 00:43

Here's how to opt out from what RM delivers:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-stop-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material

11/02/2014 at 00:47
But they charge for that don't they?
11/02/2014 at 06:16

Ask for Froyal Mail Door to Door opt out. It's free and should stop the flyers. Any thing with a house address has to be delivered.

The reason why your postie has a dumper truck is because rounds are now twice the size they used to be and we are no longer allowed to use bag drops. Apparently this is an H & S issue to reduce damage to shoulders and backs.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 11/02/2014 at 06:17
seren nos    pirate
11/02/2014 at 08:01

didn't realise that you could opt out......really annoys me

seren nos    pirate
11/02/2014 at 08:09
11/02/2014 at 08:33

I suspect that in the newly-privatized Royal Mail the posties' load would not be lighter if there were less spam, there'd be fewer posties.

Doesn't take a second to pick it up and bin it. By continuing to allow Branson to waste money advertising his products to me with no chance of success, I believe I am performing a service for society.

11/02/2014 at 14:47
I'm slowly converting people I know to re posting the crap into post boxes. It may be a slow process but if it costs RM time and money then It's worth my while passing the post box when I walk the dog.
As stated previously- Nowt against the postie- just the cheek of it!
11/02/2014 at 16:57

I started putting it in the postbox at the top of my road a while ago, but whoever empties the postbox just dumps it in the kerb, so I stopped.

Yes, the Post Office is a nuisance putting this garbage through everyone's letterbox.

Also, in littering the streets with rubber bands which they could re-use instead. I don't understand why they just throw them in the street. (Brown now. They were red before.)

I like the "write return to sender" idea. I'll start doing that from now on, and post their crap back to them so they can handle it a second time. What goes around comes around.

11/02/2014 at 17:20

All door to door leaflets are classed as live mail and have to be treated as such. If we do not deliver these items without an official opt out notice then we are liable to be charged with "willful delay".

Muttley has it right. Without this there would be far fewer posties and the loss of the universal service which would affect delivery of race packs or your copy of RW etc.

So lifted from their website

If you wish to opt out of receiving Door to Door mail items - please either
Send us your name and address details to the address below:
Freepost RSTR-YCYS-TGLJ
Royal Mail Door to Door Opt Outs
Kingsmead House
Oxpens Road
OXFORD
OX1 1AA

or email your name and address to us at: ptout@royalmail.com]optout@royalmail.com

12/02/2014 at 02:43
I have asked to be removed from the mailing but until then I am going to let RM have their shit back and will continue with that policy with any junk mail I receive whether addressed spexifically to my home or not because RM is acting immorally.

Postie-Postie, I'm guessing you are management and not one of the walkers who have to deliver this crap to people's doors. The posties I know hate leafleting.
seren nos    pirate
12/02/2014 at 07:52

postie.have you tried emailing that address......it comes back undelivered

12/02/2014 at 08:33

First world problems, eh?

12/02/2014 at 08:36
Anyone else find it funny that they can manage to deliver junk mail but not an e-mail?
1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.