Rugby World Cup 2011

New Zealand: 9th September - 23rd October

221 to 240 of 316 messages
14/10/2011 at 18:21
@ratzer
Due to the quantity of coffee I need of a morning I shall be taking several leaks.  I trust this will meet the requirements as regard the involvement of Wales in my morning repast.
14/10/2011 at 18:28

prediction

Wales
Aus

I suspect France may well play better and could pull a shock, but it would be a shock.

Aus/NZ - Pocock and the Aus backs break a nations heart ...

14/10/2011 at 18:45

I'm still disappointed but England didn't deserve to continue.  France, having already been beaten twice in the tournament, really don't deserve to be there either. 

I'll be shouting for Wales in the morning.  They really have set the standard the rest of the home nations need to get to.  Should be a cracking game.

Good luck to Wales (sorry Nemo).

yeo
15/10/2011 at 09:52

I know you never beat Wales, only score more points than them, but at half-time it looks like Alain Rolland has ruined a bloody close, exciting match

bah!

15/10/2011 at 09:53
Yup, going for a run now instead of after the match. I'd rather not risk seeing the French run riot.
Crash Hamster    pirate
15/10/2011 at 10:07
Never a red; I doubt anyone could've quibbled about a yellow, but that's ruined the game.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
15/10/2011 at 10:18

get in there!!!!!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
15/10/2011 at 10:19
i normally dislike Phillips - but right now he's a beauty!!
15/10/2011 at 10:20
Game On !!!
15/10/2011 at 10:28
Little Nemo - No more marathons! wrote (see)

Have a great time Ratzer

I promise if Wales win that I'll support them in the final but it may take a few days to be able to get back to the thread without ranting

LN  Things are never that Bad !
15/10/2011 at 10:57

What a horrible game!

I don't understand how France came so close to losing this match. It was a bad tackle and made the game v. strange. France showed no adventure and I fear they're going to be squished in the final whoever they're playing. On the plus side though they haven't played their one big game yet so maybe they're saving it for last huzzah.

Bad luck Wales you did deserve to win this one

Crash Hamster    pirate
15/10/2011 at 11:00
Yep, unlucky, Wales; thrashed no tries to one is a bit harsh (though if you think Alain Rolland is crap, you should watch David Rose); with players of that calibre, you should be very well placed in 4 years' time; I'm still tipping a Wales Australia final in 2015.
15/10/2011 at 11:08

Oh don't boo Dusatoir you cretinous crowd! Nice show of class

Unless it's the French unhappy at how weirdly they played

yeo
15/10/2011 at 11:29

Why on earth didn't Wales try the drop goal when they had the opportunity?

Say what you like about England, but they wouldn't have missed that chance

15/10/2011 at 11:34

God the ITV coverage is awful!

yeo wrote (see)

Why on earth didn't Wales try the drop goal when they had the opportunity?

Say what you like about England, but they wouldn't have missed that chance

Yes that was strange, Yeo. And I couldn't physically watch the last 2 minutes when the Welsh had the ball. Was so sure France would give away a penalty.

15/10/2011 at 11:59
Gutted.

Clearly the sending-off was wrong. At worst, it was a "yellow card" but I didn't think there was any malice and it's hard to see what else Warburton could have done once he committed to the tackle.

The loss of Adam Jones was a huge blow and our scrum never recovered. He is one of the unsung heroes of the Welsh side and it was asking a lot for Paul James (who is a loose-head in any case) to replace him.

Having said that, the game was still there for the taking. Our line-out went to pieces and we missed several penalties and a conversion that should really have been kicked. Not Halfpenny's effort; that was a great kick and came oh so close. To be fair, it shouldn't have been a penalty to Wales anyway.

I agree that we should have set up the drop goal attempt at the end. There was nothing to lose and with all Stephen Jones's experience I am really surprised it wasn't called.

I thought Faletau and Halfpenny were outstanding, but on the other hand I think the argument for Hook or Priestland at outside half "going forward" is now settled - it has to be Priestland.
15/10/2011 at 12:31

Well the best team didn't win. 

Just listened to BBC radio - Rob jones and ian Robertson talking. It is clear that the referee made the right decision. Rolland didnt ruin the match. Warburton did. 

My first reaction was that a yellow card would be right (despite that rediculous ITV commentary which couldnt even see anything wrong). But Rolland is a referee and has to apply the law. He did apply the law.  While it mght be nice to think he has the leeway to make the call we would like to see - he doesnt.  It might be hard to accept but the ref did the job he was put out on that pitch to do.

15/10/2011 at 15:52
Granted, it's a "fine line".

The spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll on the Lions tour of NZ was absolutely appalling and could easily have broken his neck and the authorities are right to do everything to eradicate those sort of tackles from the game.

However, I still think a straight red was a harsh call in this case.

15/10/2011 at 15:52

Yes, illegal tackle and red card deserved according to the commission board of the IRB which has presented the referees with explicit instructions on these tackles.  Regardless of the fact there was no drive into the ground, Clerc was lifted beyond the horizontal and the tackling player made no attempt to safely bring him to ground.

Doesn't matter.  The game was destroyed by a mistake with no malicious intent.  That Wales managed to play so well even though their set pieces were destroyed, with France capitalising on the scrum and line-out deficits, speaks volumes for the players who remained.  14 men can't beat 15 when all else is equal.  7.5 men can't beat 8 in the scrum.  A reduced line-out invites the opposition to challenge your limited options.  Still S Jones should have converted the try, and Halfpenny was agonisingly short on the penalty.  But had either of those gone over surely the French would have thrown everything and the évier into the last few minutes.  As it was they held the Welsh at the 10yard line making a drop impossible and their discipline was superb.  And the extra man really told.

We'll never know what would have happened.  All we can be sure of is that the trophy is staying in the Southern hemisphere.  Still, I will be supporting the French.  I just don't see them having any chance at all.  None at all.

15/10/2011 at 16:00
Problem being is that there have been about five other spear/dump tackles in the World cup and none of them have resulted in a red card......yet again we end up talking about consistancy of refereeing.
221 to 240 of 316 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.