Rumble in the Chapel

6 messages
09/11/2008 at 17:25

BBC News story

Just proving that there are as many numpty extremists alligned to Christianity as any other form of religion.  You have, in one corner, Armenian monks and, in the other, Greek Orthodox monks who decided to have a tear up in arguably the Holiest of Holies, The Church of the Sepulchre built atop the traditional site of Christ's crucifixion.

"Two monks from each side were detained as dozens of worshippers traded kicks and punches at the shrine, said police."

"Shocked pilgrims looked on as decorations and tapestries were toppled during Sunday's clash."

I've visited the Holy Sepulchre and, to be honest, for a site that is supposed to be so Holy it doesn't look  the best taken care of and has as much graffiti as a public toilet.  Chuck in some brawling masses (no pun intended) and it really shines a light on the Christian Church that isn't jumble sales and Harvest festivals.

09/11/2008 at 17:48

Read the story out loud to Mrs Moose and we both fell about laughing!

Just proves what I've long since thought about religion being what you get when you politicise spirituality.  And in the end politics always becomes a batlle of sectarian interests.

They're all morally bankrupt, and I'm actually quite please to see them lay it out there, so everyone can see it.

09/11/2008 at 17:54
I admit I also had a bit of a laugh. On a more serious note, there have been worse things in England- remember when Protestants were burnt at the stake during the reign of Mary I. Historically, it has indeed not been jumble sales and so forth.
09/11/2008 at 17:58
Indeed... In fact I wouldn't mind betting that there's been more bloodletting in the name of religion than any other cause.
09/11/2008 at 18:23

The Romans had the right idea ... feed 'em to the lions.

Here, kitty kitty!

10/11/2008 at 00:57
Muttley wrote (see)

The Romans had the right idea ... feed 'em to the lions.

Here, kitty kitty!

Yep, persecution on the grounds of religion's always a vote winner, especially when you can roll it up into something entertaining on a saturday afternoon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.