Run/walk

sensible or wimpy........

3 messages
13/09/2002 at 14:30
I've just read the article on the website titled "Why run/walk really works". Previously I've always had the attitude that I need to run all my training runs and races, and that anything else is a form of wimping out. Now the guy (Amby Burfoot) who wrote the article and advocates run/walk is a former winner of the Boston Marathon, and as such demands respect. So now I'm thinking I should at least try his method once - maybe for my long effort this weekend.

He does say that run/walk might not suit everyone, but suggests that it should be given a chance. I think I'll try 9/1 (9 mins running, 1 min walking) for 2 hours and see if I feel any different at the end.

Has anyone else experimented or been converted to this method?
13/09/2002 at 17:36
The only time I've walked is on off road races when the hills are too steep to run up. I then alternated running with the occasional fast walk and sometimes a crawl! On road runs I wouldn't walk unless I was suffering an injury, but that's just me.
13/09/2002 at 18:36
I've used run/walk and still do, a bit, on longer runs, but wouldn't if I was as good a runner as Tim and Hilly. It's quite difficult to slow down and walk when your legs want to run!

When I restarted in July after a break, what I did was less run/walk than walk/run.

Where it does help is that if you're doing a distance that you know will challenge you, if you plan walking breaks into the EARLY part of your run rather than waiting until you're desperate for a rest, you'll probably travel further and faster than if you pelted out the first few miles then were forced to slow down.

So - sensible, and not at all wimpy.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.