Runners, Where do you put all of your running medals?

Most of my medals are stored in a plastic bag!

81 to 96 of 96 messages
21/02/2011 at 18:59

KK, I have played 5 a side, mainly for training, but I was comparing to sports trained for and taken seriously & competitively over reasonable periods of time (eg) hockey, squash, tennis, some of which I put far more effort and training into than running (I took up running to keep fit for hockey). Some of which (in my view) are tougher on the body - since as I get older, running is the one I can still do at a reasonable level (and still walk or even run again the next day).

I don't object to medals for 'taking part', I don't refuse them or throw them away - just asking the question why runners have or expect them, and it's not in other sports to the same degree.

But I do keep records of my runs - time, distance, and since GPS, routes etc etc. I've never kept records for any other sport whether individual or team. What's different with running? 

21/02/2011 at 19:15
One man's junk is another man's treasure.
21/02/2011 at 19:16
And good for him I say
21/02/2011 at 19:39

Maldot where did you get your thumbs up sign?

I do love my running medals  whether it is a 5k or 27 miles  race it is a reminder of my hard work of  trying to catch some of  those female sprinters who are aged 55 - 75 years runners.

They are all very nice

21/02/2011 at 19:55
kittenkat wrote (see)

I actually have more of a problem with the charity aspect of running, I hate the expectation and demands of that, the sport is blighted with it.

It's turned me off so much that I will never run for charity; it doesn't mean that I won't give to charity, I will do that privately and discretly; but also don't ask me to sponsor you to run, the answer will always be no. I will ignore you.

(I might make a private and anonymous donation to your charity if you are a good friend, but that's because you are a friend)

See KK, I agree with you there.  I got my place at VLM last year through persistence (lets not pretend it was talent!) and refused year on year to take a charity place because the expectations are, I feel, way too high.  In the end I got the ballot place and used it yo raise money for my local oncology unit.

Now I've placed myself in the tenuous position of registering for a challenge (55 mile bike & big feck off hill climb on Aaran) for the Diabetes UK charity.  The entry stipulates a £10 entry fee and minimum £50 fundraising, which I feel is achieveable.  The reality however is that I would have much rather have paid a higher entry fee, with part of that going to charity, accounting for organisational fees, at which point I would have happily used the event to raise money for my local diabetes endowment fund (I work in diabetes, which is how I found the DUK link).  Feel like a hypocrite but this is one I would have entered with or without charity affiliation, I just feel uncomfortable with the context.

And for the record - my medals hung on a bookcase like KK's until it fell apart.  Now they're on the bannister to the utility room because I can't think of anywhere else to put them.  Every single one of them is for my benefit and mine only.  Every single one of hem holds a memory, usually a painful one.

21/02/2011 at 20:12
: y : without the spaces Karen

Ironholgs    pirate
21/02/2011 at 20:36
First Ironman one framed with a photoon the living room wall, all other medals in a box upstairs.
21/02/2011 at 20:42

like this?

Thank you!

Edited: 21/02/2011 at 20:44
21/02/2011 at 21:06

Horse brass medals - I just can't get enough of them I only  have four of them - hanging on my

"Bedroom"  door   Sorry I have 2 more, one from The  Hastings Marathon and one from Dry hill 10 some years ago  (Dry hill )which  is smaller than other Horse  brass medals. 

Give me  a Horse Brass medal any day!

I  have race momentos such as  a:- bum-bag, cups a parker pen, towels draw string bags,  drinking glass, and coasters I think thats it.

My Jumble sale will be  next week Sunday.

Edited: 21/02/2011 at 21:09
kittenkat    pirate
22/02/2011 at 07:30
Mick wrote (see)

KK, I have played 5 a side, mainly for training, but I was comparing to sports trained for and taken seriously & competitively over reasonable periods of time (eg) hockey, squash, tennis, some of which I put far more effort and training into than running (I took up running to keep fit for hockey). Some of which (in my view) are tougher on the body - since as I get older, running is the one I can still do at a reasonable level (and still walk or even run again the next day).

I don't object to medals for 'taking part', I don't refuse them or throw them away - just asking the question why runners have or expect them, and it's not in other sports to the same degree.

But I do keep records of my runs - time, distance, and since GPS, routes etc etc. I've never kept records for any other sport whether individual or team. What's different with running? 

Well sports aren't uniform in their history and expectations, I also don't think you can make blanket comparisons across the board, just because they have the fact that they're called a sport in common.

So, in cricket they burn the stumps and give it out, in motor sport they waste a LOT of good champagne, running has medals.Well some do I have been to plenty of races that don't.

18/10/2011 at 10:50
 That was very polite LN.
18/10/2011 at 10:59

Of the few medals that I have kept, most of them are in a drawer in the kitchen.

A few of the more interesting ones are hanging up in the kitchen because they look a bit different.

Most (UK) medals are cheap and crappy, and given how little a reasonable medal costs I think that is a real shame. 

Race organisers - don't just go for the cheapest option, choose something a bit nicer, please!  They really don't cost very much.

18/10/2011 at 11:11

all my medals can be found in my sock drawer. 

18/10/2011 at 12:39

Mine are all on hanging on the bookshelf in the spare bedroom (where I go and gloat - mwah ha ha! - from time to time) but the special ones have a corner spot in a cabinet in the living room.

For people who throw their medals away, there's a charity that asks for unwanted medals and then gives them to poorly children: http://www.medals4mettle.org/ 

18/10/2011 at 13:25
Mine got put on a hook on a beam in the dining room when we moved in. Just for somewhere to put them, rather than them being on show. When we put a bookcase where the beam is, they're now hanging on the bookcase. When the dining room's decorated, they'll probably get shifted somewhere (probably somewhere where there's an existing hook/nail/corner of bookshelf).

I like getting medals and wouldn't throw any of them away, not even the cheap crappy ones.
RMD
23/03/2012 at 13:16

Try the following link they look great

www.running-memories.co.uk

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 96 of 96 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.