Running a marathon

How many of you walked some of it

1 to 20 of 40 messages
BK
13/10/2002 at 13:17
I'm still determined to run one, because until then I won't feel like I'm a real runner.

I know loads of you have so the question is " is walking part of it cheating or the norm"

After 14.5 miles yesterday I'm damn sure I couldn't even have walked the rest
13/10/2002 at 13:29
Yippee, five computers later, and a visit to the American site, Im in

Bet my bleep goes off now
Bk, the only reason I finished the marathon was sheer bloodymindedness
And to show my dad
BK
13/10/2002 at 13:32
I'd take my hat off to you if I had one on. Did you do lots of training.
13/10/2002 at 13:36
yes, a get you roud programme for beginners
Trained 4-5 times a week
It was lovely in summer
The furthest i ran /walked was 13 miles ( on treadmill) and my longest continious run not more than 20 minutes
I did find when doing race for life that my time had improved by 2 minutes after only a month of training
it was hard to run uotside at first, so youve got a big headstsrt there
This computer is awful
BK
13/10/2002 at 13:39
Did you go round for a week afterwards saying "I did a Marathon", I think I would I've built it up to make it in to a must do thing.

Which picture did you go for
13/10/2002 at 13:44
Marathon piccie??
The beginning oone, I looked the same at the end, but they didnt even bother to wait until Id crossed the finish line for the end picture
Or do you mean GNR, not looked yet, too excited by being able to log on at work
It was obvious Id done a marathon at work by the way i couldnt walk
13/10/2002 at 14:03
Sob, just been to on running
I look even fatter than I thought, and apparently I look better than i did four weeks ago
Sob, sob
Bring on a crisp binge
BK
13/10/2002 at 14:13
Put those crisps down. Will have a look later so I can recognise you at Brighton.

No I meant the Gin ones.

Going to watch Paula finish now.

No more sobbing
13/10/2002 at 16:44
BK, If I can do it, anyone can, believe me!
If you can run 14.5m now, think how ready you'll be in 6 months time. The crowd support at the FLM is worth 6miles at least anyway!!!
I say go for it.
13/10/2002 at 16:48
OK, with the time I hadm I could have SLEPT throug half of it.
I don't care.
I walked fromt the time I dislocated my left knee and suffered a stress tracture of the right foot.
Withdrawal was not an option. Too much to prove.
Benz, undersatnd you completely.
I will help you show your Dad. promise!

13/10/2002 at 16:49
BK
You are more of a runner than I am, so don't sweat it..
I am still a slow porker.
But I love my badger!
13/10/2002 at 17:02
The great thing is that you achieve your goal of having done a marathon if you turn up at the start, follow the course and cross the finish line using only your legs to carry you, regardless of the speed with which they pass beneath your body (which will slow down for almost everyone during the course of a 26.2 mile effort).

Walking for bits is part of the whole experience, not a failure to "run a marathon". Otherwise, I'd definitely have been disqualified for the pee-stop I had to take at 8 miles into FLM.

The legs get stronger over time - as you do long runs more regularly, the body gets better at providing the right mix of fuel and the muscles adapt to working for longer and longer.
13/10/2002 at 17:03
Well said SB!
13/10/2002 at 17:14
People never ask if you ran a marathon, or walked part of it, they are just impressed that you completed it. It'll probably take several goes (if ever) for you to run one all the way. I always walk the aid stations, as I can't drink whilst bounding along (although I wouldn't call what I do at 24 miles "bounding"). And I still walk near the end: When you hit the wall, you hit the wall. No-one will ever sneer at you for that.
Actually, I don't think even the elite usually ran a whole marathon until the latter half of last century, and carbohydrates were appreciated. Run/Walking was a normal part of the marathon. (They didn't have gels in those days!)

Big Bopper.
B.O.P. till I drop.
Trogs    pirate
13/10/2002 at 18:15
BK - walking is definitely not cheating.

My aim was to complete the course, without walking if possible, and I achieved it but only cos by about 18 miles my legs had locked into a steady jog and I couldn't have changed pace if I'd tried. Stopping at the end actually hurt!

If you can do 14.5 now you'll have no problems steadily building up to 26.2 Having said that, it only needs a "bad run day" to ruin the best preparations and don't you just hate it when that happens!
13/10/2002 at 18:25
I did a marathon that I shouldn't have done due to inadequate training and residual injury. I ran 14 miles, ran/walked the next 4, and walked the rest. Didn't have a run left in me by then.

My last two miles were 40-minute miles. My first half took about 2:15 and my second half took about 3:42.

I wasn't last.

If I ever do another, I shall do better - but may never get to the stage of NOT needing walking breaks.
BK
13/10/2002 at 20:38
Thanks all, thats what I though you'd say. I've already paid for the FLM but needless to say won't get in anyway. Paris anyone?
cougie    pirate
13/10/2002 at 21:45
Good luck for FLM BK - you never know, you might just get straight in !

Doesn't matter if you walk - so long as you get there.

(even Lance Armstrong has freewheeled in the tour De France on occasion, and he still wins !)

Seeya in London !
BK
13/10/2002 at 21:48
Hi Cougie, you will have to reserect that old picture before London. Is your latest graphic from that deceased bike of yours
13/10/2002 at 22:05
BK
I've paid for London. If we get in we're A TEAM!
1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.