Running with the Pack

12 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/10/2002 at 21:00
Anyone else whose running partner has four feet? - my partners are called Snowy, Shani, and Oz.
Trogs    pirate
03/10/2002 at 00:04
Minto & Boomer - but only on an occasional basis.
03/10/2002 at 00:14
go to bed
03/10/2002 at 08:01
Don't you guys ever sleep? I'm an hour ahead of you
03/10/2002 at 10:08
Amber...the delectable hound on my FaceIT picture!
03/10/2002 at 10:43
Mine is Smokey but he can't keep up much after 3 miles..
04/10/2002 at 19:59
'lead wolf' Snowy has a finisher's medal from the Frankfurt marathon! Alpha female Shani does half-marathon training with me, junior male Oz is a beginner. Here in Germany there's a dog's endurance exam you can do, a 20km road run accompanying a bike, 2 rest stops for veterinary checks, and an obedience routine afterwards to show they're not knackered! Awarded a nice certificate for successful passing.
05/10/2002 at 12:31
Do hooves count? I run with Jester as part of our training for endurance racing.
05/10/2002 at 15:47
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on training with dogs? I'm assuming they have to build up a certain level of fitness too - you can't just take a puppy on a two hour run, for example.

I was just thinking about this very subject while running earlier - just by luck I noticed this thread. Funny old world...
05/10/2002 at 20:42
Hi Scott - best not to run with your dog at all until he/she's about 6 months old. At that age most medium to large size dogs can run a couple of miles easily and they love it. Depends on the breed - obviously very small or extremely heavy breeds can't run far enough to train with you. Build up slowly, same as you should yourself, and make sure their pads aren't getting sore. By 1 year, most are fully grown as far as major bone development goes, so then you can take 'em with you on all your training runs. I run in the forest almost always, so I pick routes where I know there's ponds or streams for them to drink. Don't run them in very hot or humid weather, and even if it's only fairly warm to you, remember they are wearing fur coats, so pick somewhere they can cool off, preferably big enough to swim in. Good luck and many happy hours running with your 4-footed friend(s), from the 'wolf pack'
06/10/2002 at 01:08
Thanks Ironwolf, that's really helpful. I know dogs love to run, so it seems silly to leave them at home when we go out. Cheers for the advice.
06/10/2002 at 13:40
Scott, you're very welcome. May you have many hours of enjoyable running with your dogs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.