RW Website Optimisation

Great job guys

21 to 35 of 35 messages
19/04/2013 at 19:19

graham. short answer is its fine. so long as you are going through your chrome browser and loading from the official site. i will give you the longer answer after my swim now as to the dangers of not downloading from an unofficial site.

19/04/2013 at 19:21

David, I've just done it and it certainly makes things very much quicker! Don't worry, nobody's more careful than me with downloads .

M...eldy    pirate
19/04/2013 at 20:24

I too have been driven back to Firefox and Adblock

It has improved my language somewhat 

19/04/2013 at 22:21

Graham, I promised you a longer answer, so just in case you were wondering about the safety of extensions, well heres the answer.

Basically extensions on a browser can be quite dangerous. Extensions dont just have access to the browser, they also have access to your file system. This means I could send you an extension, you install it, and I could have it go through every file on your computer, looking for anything that might resemble a credit card number or a password.

This is why you should never install an extension from a website but only from either the Chrome site (Tools-Extensions) or if you are a Firefox user (tools-addons). And the reason for this is they do both automated and manual testing of the extensions that are submitted. What they are looking for is any that are trying to send out information to a third party. If any are, they are rejected and not put up.

So basically you can pretty much trust any of the extensions, but only get them from the proper place, never from a random website.

19/04/2013 at 22:30
fat buddha wrote (see)

DF - I use adblock but that doesn't work with all sites bizarrely - it's fine with blocking RW ads though

The reason it doesnt work on all sites and block all ads, is that because although people think its a really clever extension somehow working out which part is an ad,and then blocking it, in reality, its a little more simplistic than that.

Basically what the ad blocker is doing is this.

Browser requests a page.

The skeleton of the page is loaded in (if you right click, view source ... what you see is what Im talking about.)

Now before the page is rendered (ie images loaded, css working out how things should look etc), what the adblock does is look through a preselected list of known ad companies that have their javascript inserted (the code that displays the ad). It then removes this javascript from the page, before allowing the browser to render the page.

So basically it loads the page, and then before it shows you the page, it removes all the crap from it.

Now the reason why it blocks some ads but not all is down to how good the 'ad list' is in the extension. Newer ad companies come in, sometimes they go by different names, so its something that needs to be constantly updated. Its also why on the more mainstream websites, it works better as they tend to use the bigger more standard ad companies, so they are easy to block and dont change their domain very often.

Geek lesson over.

19/04/2013 at 22:50

Right and what has that got to do with safari on an iphone which is what lots of people have complained about... Nothing

19/04/2013 at 22:57

Thanks David

19/04/2013 at 22:59

Woah ........ youre in the quite the mood tonight arent you booktrunk? 

...... the problem is that mobile devices havent caught up so Im afraid there is no solution on mobiles

Get RW to fix their website is my only advice

19/04/2013 at 23:10

Mobile devices haven't caught up? that's technical... I've not got ad blocker on ie7 to 10 which i've tested it on and it works fine with all of them without ad blocker. Opera, firefox, and safari. 

I don't bother wth ad blocker on individual browsers, as the proxy server i setup strips all that out anyway but even bypassing it or using various other net connections it's the same on every ios device.  So it's not ad blocker that fixes it.

Just saying that all your waffle was just that waffle.... ad blocker has nothing to do with the solution. Considering how much you seem to appreciate things being correct. I thought you would appreciate knowing that.

19/04/2013 at 23:17

What does your proxy server strip out?

Which part of the DOM is it targetting and removing?

Youre an expert .... I shall look forward to your answers, as I just waffle apparently.

19/04/2013 at 23:20
booktrunk wrote (see)

Mobile devices haven't caught up? that's technical... I've not got ad blocker on ie7 to 10 which i've tested it on and it works fine with all of them without ad blocker. Opera, firefox, and safari. 

I wish you could speak English. Are you saying you have tested Runners World on ie7 to 10 and it works fine?

And how did you quantify that?

Are you talking about mobile devices here, or your PC? Because before you were banging on about safari on your iphone, for which there is no solution, but now you seem to have widened out your statement to all mobiles (I think? You appear drunk so its hard to tell what you mean). You could always use the adblocker for firefox on your mobile I guess. Doesn't help your safari on your iphone issue, but to be honest maybe when you sober up in the morning you might be able to more lucidly put your statement across again so we can address the issues.

Oh and finally AdBlocker IS the solution to the issue of the slow loading website, as the javascript is making several calls to external domains and its getting caught in a loop, thus preventing the browser from rendering the page.

By removing the calls to these ads (by removing the javascript call for these ads from the DOM) it allows the browser to go ahead and render the page straight ahead.

You are aware of the DOM and how browsers process webpages right booktrunk? Perhaps you could correct me as to where Im wrong, and how this doesnt help and why adblock does nothing yet I know factually it would and everyone on here is saying how its helped.

But off you go, you tell me then bookworm ...... lol. Should be interesting.

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 23:47
20/04/2013 at 07:25

Come on guys, swop your VNC's and have a real fight.

20/04/2013 at 12:14
booktrunk wrote (see)

Right and what has that got to do with safari on an iphone which is what lots of people have complained about... Nothing

Not sure what this is about, but nobody mentioned Safari until you did.

You two seem to have a history, I guess, but DF3's answer was to queries raised, and on this occasion was perfectly reasonable and helpful.

Dark Vader    pirate
22/04/2013 at 18:42

Safari on the Mac works fine...    but the site won't load on my iPhone, which is also Safari...  

cougie    pirate
22/04/2013 at 18:49
Yep rw is dead to me from my iPhone. No other site fails to load - just RW.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.