Say hi to the next runner you pass in the street.

Cheer up

21 to 40 of 41 messages
22/08/2013 at 13:08
seren nos wrote (see)

Why just runners........hwn out I smile and/ or say hello or good morning to everyone I meet whether they are walking their dog or waiting for a bus.......

That makes me think of Crocodile Dundee, when he first arrives in New York!

22/08/2013 at 13:09

I think you get more responses the earlier in the morning it is - kind of a solidarity thing at being the only people up that early.

22/08/2013 at 13:15

even top athletes like paula radcliffe seem to manage a nod.

22/08/2013 at 13:15
literatin wrote (see)

I think you get more responses the earlier in the morning it is - kind of a solidarity thing at being the only people up that early.

I agree with this. A run before work and several people nod or say 'hi'. A run later on and I hardly ever get a response. I always nod at the very least but I'm not too upset if I don't get anything back- at least, I've tried to be polite!

22/08/2013 at 13:24

I also say hello to everyone I cross paths with during a run and the majority of the time I get a positive response. I do it to be friendly and also as a safety measure just in case anything happens to me hopefully someone will remember saying hello to me.

22/08/2013 at 13:25
skotty wrote (see)

even top athletes like paula radcliffe seem to manage a nod.

Boom boom

22/08/2013 at 14:12
literatin wrote (see)

This, and also horrid weather

22/08/2013 at 14:22

I live in Lincs and London ... When im running in lincs (weekends) you rarly see other runners but when you do i always say Hello swiftly as im plodding by them and always get a response ... but when im in London and running and passing what feels like hundreds of other runners i rarely even get a look let alone hi not through lack of trying!!

22/08/2013 at 18:03

I find it depends on the neighbourhood.  Some places the runners seem to be friendly and respond to me, others seem to prefer their isolation.  My default is to acknowledge everyone but I tend to stop if the response rate is too low.

22/08/2013 at 20:19

I think partly depends how many people you see. If I acknowledged everyone that would be hundreds of hellos.

22/08/2013 at 20:47
When I run in the morning I say Hi to everyone I see, other runners, dog walkers etc and normally get a hello/morning back.When I run in the afternoon/evening I only greet other runners as there are far too many people to greet otherwise. In the evening I end up swearing, more or less, quietly at ignorant people who see me coming but still can't make any space for me. Do they think I just disappear or grow a set of wings?
seren nos    pirate
22/08/2013 at 20:53

aren't you used to ignorant people by now Jindalee

22/08/2013 at 21:02
lol you would think so Seren, wouldn't you but no, still getting annoyed with them, last time was tonight when I said "excuse me" twice and I was still being ignored.
Edited: 22/08/2013 at 21:03
23/08/2013 at 13:13

I always nod or try to say morning....usually comes out as more of a "mrrrfphng".

29/08/2013 at 10:48

i run in the morning and usually get a good response from everyone i meet I

29/08/2013 at 12:24

I always say a quick ,hi,hello or nod to all runners and anyone if i,m in the countryside,    I am from North Staffs and when we had a new member from down south,he said how surprised he was that everyone spoke,said wasnt done down south (sure someo ne will put me srraight on that !!)   Went Rhodes on my hols and it was 50/50 answering me 

05/09/2013 at 12:33

Where I used to live (Leamington), the runners were really friendly. Almost always got a hello, nod or smile from other runners. I'm now down on the outskirts of London and I think I've only ever seen a couple of people nod or smile.

05/09/2013 at 13:30

I greet all runners, some are miserable and ignore me but most respond positively.  Bristol and surrounding area are supposed to be quite friendly though.

Rafiki    pirate
05/09/2013 at 13:39
Dachs wrote (see)

I make eye contact and nod.

If they respond, I'll assume that we are now firm running buddies, and accompany them for the rest of their run, step for step, matching every surge and slow-down, chatting the whole way round and periodically trying to get a sing-song going.  Once the run is finished, I will let myself into their house, help myself to whatever's in the fridge, and then sleep with their wife/husband/eldery relative.

If they don't respond I do the same thing.

As it appears, judging by his club top, I live near Dachs, I've decided to give up running

11/09/2013 at 23:08
I love smiling and getting a response especially if I am in my Macmillan vest.. Sometimes people beep and I think it is encouraging! It gives you a push to keep going! I am ready for the GNR on Sunday! Good luck to anyone running it!
21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.