Say hi to the next runner you pass in the street.

Cheer up

1 to 20 of 42 messages
Blisters    pirate
21/08/2013 at 23:55

We're supposed to be enjoying ourselves.

22/08/2013 at 00:45

Always do, mate.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/08/2013 at 05:54

I always acknowledge other runners and they me - maybe it's more friendly where I live.

22/08/2013 at 06:31

Same here, runners always seem to meet and greet, incidentally on trails so do the cyclists

22/08/2013 at 09:03

I nod a greeting. Unless they're in their own world with their ipod.

22/08/2013 at 09:06

Most of my running and cycling is off road so don't see that many people, but when i do we always acknowledge each other. 

22/08/2013 at 09:36
I always make a point of it and try to keep my mind busy by working out the percentages across certain groups / time of day / weather etc.
The worst score was the group of 12 ladies from the local running club. I only got 1 response back. I was considering joining until then.
gingerfurball    pirate
22/08/2013 at 10:36

It always amazes me how many runners who don't nod or say hello to me...I thought we were in a gang.  

22/08/2013 at 10:51

I always nod or give a thumbs up if they are on tother side of the road and I always say something encouraging if we pass within speaking distance. And I live in London!!

there will always be the odd bod who can't cope with running and being polite at the same time 

it's funniest when running laps of the park in opposite directions and I say hello 2 or 3 times and they ignore me.....  I just think they'll crack before I do 

22/08/2013 at 11:07

I always nod or say hi (Depending how out of breath I am at the time)

I reckon I only get a response back 1/10 times!

22/08/2013 at 11:16

This subject comes up quite reguarly.

I do nod, or smile, sometimes say "morning!", but I don't care if they don't respond.

Some people seem to get very upset/annoyed if other runners don't acknowledge them, but I can't see why.

You don't expect people you pass in the supermarket to greet you (and you probably don't greet them), but you're all shoppers!

22/08/2013 at 11:17

I use this as a training technique - no matter how tired I am on a training run my task is to raise a smile and a hearty hello - sometimes I get a nod, sometimes a big smile.

The point for me as a training technique is to prove to myself that I am not as tired as I felt just before the runner/cyclist was heading towards me - it also seems to have a short term benefit on the run itself.

EDIT: PS This is what I try to do - there have been a couple of occasions where my smile has been a grimace and my hearty hello more of a grunt

Edited: 22/08/2013 at 11:20
22/08/2013 at 11:18

I always acknowledge a fellow runner, starting cycling recently and they are all quite keen on a nod. Doesn't work with swimming mind you.

22/08/2013 at 11:47

I've more or less given up. The runners round my way are a miserable bunch of feckers.

I do have a sixth sense for the ones that are going to say "good morning" though and I'm happy to reply if they do. 

22/08/2013 at 12:22

Wilkie wrote (see)

You don't expect people you pass in the supermarket to greet you (and you probably don't greet them), but you're all shoppers!

A good point, well made. 

Being a London runner, my default position is to be on "acknowledgement alert". A cheery wave will make a lot of urbanites think you're either mad or flirting with them, but catching the eye followed by the subtlest of nods is perfectly acceptable.

22/08/2013 at 12:31

I make eye contact and nod.

If they respond, I'll assume that we are now firm running buddies, and accompany them for the rest of their run, step for step, matching every surge and slow-down, chatting the whole way round and periodically trying to get a sing-song going.  Once the run is finished, I will let myself into their house, help myself to whatever's in the fridge, and then sleep with their wife/husband/eldery relative.

If they don't respond I do the same thing.

22/08/2013 at 12:33

Top post Dachs 

seren nos    pirate
22/08/2013 at 12:42

Why just runners........hwn out I smile and/ or say hello or good morning to everyone I meet whether they are walking their dog or waiting for a bus......I nod at cyclist and smile at runners.....

why just the runners.....

22/08/2013 at 12:43

I always nod or smile, Stevenage runners seem to be a miserable breed though and it is rarely recipricated.

Cake    pirate
22/08/2013 at 12:49

Always nod greetings ever when on the bike or running. At worst they think your a nutter which I am anyway or at best you've made someone smile.

1 to 20 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.