Schhols closed again

Why do schools close at the drop of a hat?

1 to 20 of 126 messages
18/01/2013 at 08:19

I live in a village in Hampshire and yet again the school has closed due to a bit of snow. I'm going to work today though I admit I won't be driving, I'll be walking and using public transport.

Why do the schools close so easily when it must cause massive disruption to everyone.

Didn't used to happen

18/01/2013 at 08:35

My son and wife cannot get to school because of a snow drift where a roundabout used to be! My daughter has fallen down a flight of steps and hurt herself...I suspect these and other stories have something to do with them closing. I always get in; 'cos I ride a bike and I do an essential job. And; the schools always used to close at the drop of one flake of snow in my day! But; of course people used to say back then that 'back in the good 'ol days' the schools never used to close when it snowed!

18/01/2013 at 08:39

I can't actually remember ever missing school due to snow, and i was at school up to the end of the 90s...

must be a new era of H&S!

18/01/2013 at 08:43

I went to school in the 80s and often used to get sent home when it snowed, but I lived in Yorkshire and the roads got blocked and the bus company would dictate when it was safe for their drivers to be driving. Bus companies do still call the shots - if they feel they have to bring the buses early because of the snow, or not run at all then kids can't get to school.

Also schools do not have a big supply of grit and so it can be very dangerous around the school site. How would you feel if your child fell on ice at school and broke a leg/arm? Schools only close if they feel it absolutely necessary

18/01/2013 at 08:45

Not a lot of now on the hampshire/dorset border.  I made it in by running.  Feel very smug.

I do nto understand these school closures, from the tintermet the schools by home are closed, WHY?  In my youth we just got on with it and i doubt the snow these days is different from back then.

On a plus note the office is quiet so i can get on without interruption.  huzzah

seren nos    pirate
18/01/2013 at 08:49

I think they are right to close if its going to be dangerous for the staff and kids.........back in the 70's they didn't shut the schools.but i can remmeber being 1 of just 11 kids who went to school in the snow one day............

what was the benefit of keeping it open........no teaching could be done.......just free childcare....when i could have been playing out in the snow with friends.,.....

and cost a fortune to heat and clear the school..

we don't have snow that often.let the kids enjoy it and be kids............there are plenty of days to be in school

and remember nowadays very few teachers live in the village or near where the school is for obvious reasons...............so can't walk there .....

18/01/2013 at 09:12
So why is it a h&s issue for schools and not everyone else that have to clear snow grit paths, etc, etc. For every school that closes probable over 100 people can't go to work. In my street ther is a couple who ate a doctor and paramedic. One of them will have to stay home today. This is a village primary school with very good transport links, train, bus, etc.
18/01/2013 at 09:14
Piers wrote (see)
So why is it a h&s issue for schools and not everyone else that have to clear snow grit paths, etc, etc. For every school that closes probable over 100 people can't go to work. In my street ther is a couple who ate a doctor and paramedic. One of them will have to stay home today. This is a village primary school with very good transport links, train, bus, etc.

Medical staff cannibalism sounds like a good reason to move!

seren nos    pirate
18/01/2013 at 09:18

Piers.thats being a parent..if one of the kids were ill they would have to stay at home.......part and parcel of having kids

18/01/2013 at 09:38

Eggyh73,

Trouble with typing on a mobile phone with a wet screen while walking in the snow.

18/01/2013 at 09:54

So Seren you are saying that it's OK for teachers not to go to work but everyone is supposed to.

In our company everyone was told that if you don't come in today you have to take it as leave or come in an extra day to make it up, which I don't think is unacceptable.

I would imagine that if teachers were docked pay they would possibly reconsider the ease at which the schools are closed.

The H&S argument is absolutely rubbish, there is no reason why the paths can't have been cleared and gritted, schools have as much access to salt and grit as any other company, perhaps more so due to their links with the local authority. As to the kids falling over and hurting themselves, what are they going to be doing if the schools are shut; playing in the snow, falling over and possibly breaking limbs, they are probably safer in the school environment.

I beleive it's easy for the Head to just decide to shut the school, makes no difference to her yet it causes a hell of a lot of inconvenience to others.

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 09:55
18/01/2013 at 10:07

Our school never closed for snow - only for burst pipes and bomb threats! I think it is done now for fear of being sued.

18/01/2013 at 10:32

Our kids school is closed for the third day ina row now, it's because the busses can't get through. The kids that made it in on Tuesday were stranded as the busses couldn't get back to school to collect them.

I'd rather my kids were safe and warm at home on days like this.

cougie    pirate
18/01/2013 at 10:39

I dont think its just a teacher thing. 

When I was young - everyone would walk to school. 

Now people are more mobile and they live further away from school - both kids and teachers.  Is it illegal to have less than X staff to pupils or something ?  If the head is concerned that some teachers might not be able to get in - then maybe the best thing to do is to close the school ?

Plus imagine if a kid got killed by a car sliding on ice as he walked in. The outcry then ?

Crash Hamster    pirate
18/01/2013 at 10:47

This snow was predicted; what's wrong with teachers getting up an hour earlier and starting out an hour earlier? Our road was fine at 9am; our local schools are closed.

If it's a bit difficult to get home and takes a few hours, that's tough. No excuses. I'm not suggesting that people should currently be travelling in the Heads of the Valleys where the red warning was issued, but in cities? Man up, Britain.

18/01/2013 at 10:52
Crash Hamster wrote (see)

This snow was predicted; what's wrong with teachers getting up an hour earlier and starting out an hour earlier? Our road was fine at 9am; our local schools are closed.

The teachers do not have a say in schools closing due to weather. It's got nothing to do with them.

Crash Hamster    pirate
18/01/2013 at 11:01

Didn't say they did; one of the excuses used for closing schools is that 'the teachers can't get in.' This is generally utter nonsense; if they got up an hour earlier, they'd have an hour more time to get in, which in the vast majority of cases would mean the school could open on time.

Most of these excuses could be countered by 'yes it's inconvenient and very slightly more risky; now get over it.'

18/01/2013 at 11:20

I don't think schools do typically close easily - my eldest is 14 and the youngest pair 11 and I don't think the eldest has ever missed a day through snow - the youngest pair missed one day a couple of years ago because not enough teachers could get in.  

It's not like a lot of businesses where if someone turns up an hour late then it's OK - or if they have to leave early because of the snow - in a school you need the staffing numbers all day from 8.30 onwards and you need to pretty much guarantee it in advance.   

18/01/2013 at 11:26

yet another example of lazy teachers.

my school never closed in the snow. i don't buy the teachers not being able to get in. don't schools have a caretaker who takes care of all of this, grits paths etc?

Lee the Pea    pirate
18/01/2013 at 11:31

...because the schools are shit, and terrified by H&S nonsense.  Common sense has gone out the window I tell you!

1 to 20 of 126 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.