201 to 211 of 211 messages
17/02/2014 at 13:57
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

So LouiseG, you're Scottish are you

British

17/02/2014 at 14:04

Scotch British?

17/02/2014 at 14:09

My passport doesn't differentiate.  I am partial to a good Scotch though. 

17/02/2014 at 14:25
LouiseG wrote (see)

British

Cop-out, must be Scottish

17/02/2014 at 14:53
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
LouiseG wrote (see)

British

Cop-out, must be Scottish

Don't you get bored recycling the same c**p all the time?

17/02/2014 at 16:16

Louise, I was just asking a simple question (Well it was simple to me) I am English first, British second and European third, but I guess if I was ashamed of my heritage or background I might opt to British or European, anyway it just a question no worries.

17/02/2014 at 16:20

Oh come on, it isn't a case of being "ashamed of your heritage" if you think of yourself as British first.

Really Nick, you know you can debate better than this.

22/02/2014 at 12:10
Nessie wrote (see)

I made no comment about whether I wanted or expected still to be British - I asked what the splitting of the union, if it happened, would mean in terminology.  East Germany and West Germany were independent of one another, but were all still "Germany" (sort of).  Great Britain, as I understand it, is the island.  If Wales and Ireland voted for independence too, would England be Britain, would Britain no longer exist, or would "Britain" be something akin to "Netherlands".

It's all semantics, I think..............

What I would like Scottish independence to mean, if you want it, is that you all get north of the border and be independent on your own in solitary confinement and get out of the sight of the rest of us, because we're actually rather tired of you. If you want a divorce then divorce and disappear please. Anyone Scottish can be deported to your new homeland.

If I thought for one second that all non-Scottish British people thought like that, I'd be first at Hadrian's wall with a pile of bricks and some cement.  But fortunately, I think most are actually rather nice people, as are Scots, and I am quite happy to be British/UK along with them.

1. I expect the whole terminology will be redone if Scotland becomes independent. There won't be a reason to speak of "Britain" any more. A new term would be needed for England, Wales and Northern Ireland as a set of countries. 

2. I did say "if you want it". The people in favour of independence seem to have their eye not on independence but on dependence. You declare yourselves independent, but then you will still expect us to take your goods and provide your people with work when you can't find jobs for them all, et cetera. If you choose independence then actual independence should be forced on you by keeping you out of the EU, at least for an unstated trial period, so you can be forced to support yourselves within your own borders without treating England as a place to still come to and take what you like from. The rest of the UK will be entitled to prevent Scotland as an independent country joining the EU, so that should happen, at least for a trial period. We can consider letting you in the EU later, once we've got a clear picture of how you manage as an independent country. (Badly, I expect.)

Edited: 22/02/2014 at 12:11
11/04/2014 at 15:33

I was amazed to hear Alex Salmond on the 'Today' programme on Radio 4 this morning.

Interviewer: Since the UK government have said Scotland won't be allowed to keep the pound, what is your Plan B?

Alex Salmond: We don't need a Plan B because they'll change their minds. See, there was this article in the Independent where someone said the English will want us to keep the pound.

So you have someone apparently wanting to take his country into independence, who won't even say what will happen if the British currency isn't available.

Ridiculous.

Edited: 11/04/2014 at 15:34
11/04/2014 at 15:50

Worrying isn't it? 

Well, it is if you live in Scotland I would have thought.

11/04/2014 at 19:16

Not that I have a say in this referendum but if I did, that (if one was needed) would be the decider. Are they mad?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 211 of 211 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.