Second Interview

What's the verdict?

1 to 20 of 32 messages
25/09/2003 at 11:07
Second Interview yesterday for the Internet job. Went very well and am I quietly confident. Just don't want to get my hopes up only for them to be dashed.

Decision will be made Friday...

Incidently, my current employer is organising one-to-ones giving details of redundancy, leaving dates etc.

Rumour is that I may get offered a (very juicy) carrott to stick around till the end of November. I want my new job but I would also like the cash. If I go sonner I lose out.

Still, I gotta work - it's the long term I gotta look at.
25/09/2003 at 11:09
well good luck Womble. Tricky call but try and get both.
25/09/2003 at 11:09
Can't you get both? The end of November isn't so far away. Tell the new employer that you have to work a notice period, finish an important project etc. sell it as evidence of the loyalty and dedication (!) they can expect from you once you join them.

With a bit of canny footwork you just might have your cake AND eat it!
25/09/2003 at 11:10
why would new job not be happy for end of nov? 8 weeks, but usually term people have to give is 6 weeks??
25/09/2003 at 11:13
oooh fingers and everything crossed MBTW.

Cash sounds great but your long term quality of life etc is much more important...
25/09/2003 at 11:26
Sorry... good luck with the new job. i do hope you get it.

Waap.
25/09/2003 at 11:28
dont put all your eggs in one basket though MBTW. i got everything crossed for you. dont be too sure though just in case.
25/09/2003 at 11:30
Good advice from Waapster, MtbW. 8 weeks is a fairly common notice period, and it does show committment. In fact, the longer the notice period required, the more valued you appear. I got my current job despite a 3 month notice period in my previous job.

But don't miss out on the new job that you really want for a few hundred quid. Life's too short and all that.
25/09/2003 at 11:31
Ooh Womble. Go for both! Good luck!
25/09/2003 at 11:35
Ta people,

I've had my one-to-one now. Pay off package is roughly 2 months salary which, with Christmas, should keep me going into the new year.

As for the notice period, well the last person left in May so they're pretty desperate and they know that I'm on a 4 week notice period.

Gonna chase the recruitment agency to discuss...
26/09/2003 at 11:21
I'm a head hunter, this is a situation that frequently occurs and should be no problem to handle if you play it cool.

Depending at what level you're at your new company will wait for you. You could even offer to accept documentation etc prior to your proposed start date to sweeten the pill.

Thing is, if they want you and you are the best chap for the job.... what are they going to do? Compromise and give it to the 2nd best person?... and if they do, is it really the kind of company that you want to work at anyhow?

Be careful with the recruitment agent, they can be tricky characters sometimes. Get it very clear in exactly what they've told your new company and what expectations that have set. They may try and spin a story.

My real advice would be completely straight with the new comp. Call your new boss direct and just simply explain your situation.
Its a sound commercial decision that anyone can relate to and you could stand to lose out a good stack of money.

You never know, if they can't wait for you they may offer you a sign on bonus by ways of compensation. You don't know until you ask. Be undemanding but professional.... Let them suggest the sign on bonus btw!!!

Good luck chap.
26/09/2003 at 11:38
Thanks for the advice - it's still gonna be tricky if they offer it to me as I don't want to get their backs up before I've even set foot inside the building.

Anyway, I'm expecting a decision by 2.
26/09/2003 at 11:56
Keeping them crossed MBTW
26/09/2003 at 12:06
Everything crossed for you, MBTW. My hubby is about to be made redundant too, and so far has had interviews only - no offers. So from cash-strapped couple, best of luck, I hope you can get what you want from this.
26/09/2003 at 13:52
Not long to go.
26/09/2003 at 13:56
Ah, I thought you had it in the bag already.

Keep schtum until you got an offer letter.

Don't be swayed by any "we can't issue an offer until we have a start date" baloney. Thats for a contract NOT a simple letter.
26/09/2003 at 14:08
Just had a call from the recruitment agency.

My interviewer is waiting for a call back from the CEO who's in Germany. If they're going to that trouble and the fact I haven't had a no looks pretty good as far as I can see.

I'ma wibblin'
26/09/2003 at 14:09
Wibblw wibble keep 'em crossed
26/09/2003 at 14:16
and I'm a wobblin'.
cougie    pirate
26/09/2003 at 14:21
Ooooh - I always hate this part. Good luck !
1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums