seen any good flicks lately?

41 to 60 of 6,530 messages
14/02/2006 at 11:39
Dodge (or is the name change permanent?) - agreed on 'Batman Begins'. Will have to look out for the other 2 as well. I wouldn't have previously put myself down as a fan of period Chinese kungfu movies. However, Hero and House of Flying Daggers have converted me (if they fit into that genre).
14/02/2006 at 12:06
SVT - If you like that genre, then definately look for the Once Upon a Time in China series with Jet Li.
14/02/2006 at 12:10
if your into period kungfu movies and you havent seen it...

http://www.zatoichi.co.uk/

a truly great film

14/02/2006 at 12:10
ABC - well, I did like Once Upon A Time In America (and Mexico).

'Warriors of Heaven and Earth' was quite good.
14/02/2006 at 12:47
lol - am now imagining Banderas in chinese outfit and hairstyle with high kicking, leaping onto the roof action ... brilliant

... maybe I should become a director
14/02/2006 at 14:28
good choice jason, even if it is actually a Japanese Samurai movie, Zatoichi is another excellent film from 'The Beat' and has the best musichall ending of any film of any and all time.
14/02/2006 at 14:31
SVT, those in the know know it is I, "The Dodge", but those that don't know it is I, "Earl".

:)

O.T.
anyone else have their keyboard change itself to US settings at random? " is where @ should be and vis versi. Please tell it to stop.
14/02/2006 at 14:45
ABC - in roof and treetop-hopping pursuit of Robert De Niro, similarly attired?
14/02/2006 at 15:15
You leapin' at me? You leapin' at me?
16/02/2006 at 01:30
'The River King'
16/02/2006 at 06:59
Recently seen for the first time:
"Roger and Me" (1989)

Low budget comedy documentary about Micha el Moore's attempts to get an interview with the Chairman of General Motors, Roger Smith.
Loved it! :)
16/02/2006 at 08:43
Nice choice Moomoo... I liked that more than 'Bowling for Columbine' and I thought that was an excellent documentary, which it thought illustrated perfectly the madness of the 'right to bear arms' lobby and the NRA...

"Out of my cold dead head"

Was not so sure about Moore's 9/11 documentary... thought it was too didactic... perhaps even misleading
16/02/2006 at 09:28
'Twas Valentine's Day on tuesday (if you didn't notice) so I got Elizabethtown out on DVD to watch with Mrs SVT.

Brief plot summary: messed-up boy goes back to roots, meets beautiful quirky girl who helps him 'find himself'.

So, basically, a more mainstream 'Garden State', replacing Zach Braff and Natalie Portman with Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst. Pleasant enough, with a great turn by Susan Sarandon and a road trip section that seemed to be Cameron Crowe's way of jamming in some of his favourite scenery and music.

Nothing deep, but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.
16/02/2006 at 10:30
Morning SVT! Did you farm out the kiddies to a babysitter on V-day?

Corinth- speaking of bowling movies, I really enjoyed 'The Big Lebowski', directed by Joel Coen. The tagline for that was:
"They figured he was a lazy time wasting slacker" :)
16/02/2006 at 10:33
Orlando Bloom is a bit wet though isn't he. I liked Garden State.
16/02/2006 at 10:35
much as i loveee Almost Famous as probably the most heart-warming movie ever, am gettin a little tired of cameron Crowe's schtick.

there comes a time when you can just not make any more schmaltzy nostalgic movies.

like garden state though. it was kooky (which i hate) but it was mostly unpretentious and fun, and peter saarsgard is great.
16/02/2006 at 10:38
Orlando is cute! (And I would worry if he was of interest to you :)

Haven't wanted to watch Garden State yet, for certain reasons.
16/02/2006 at 10:40
moomoo - no, but they go to bed at 7 so we can actually have an evening together!

Agreed - Orlando Bloom is a bit wet. So was Kirsten Dunst at one point in Spiderman.

Garden State was good. And so is Peter Saarsgard, who I last saw in Broken Glass. Hayden Christiansen is not great.
16/02/2006 at 10:42
Yes, Kirsten's points did get wet in Spiderman. Quite prominant.
16/02/2006 at 10:50
"Was not so sure about Moore's 9/11 documentary... thought it was too didactic... perhaps even misleading"

that thing is completely clouded by Moore's anti bush hysteria. its misleading to the point of being fictional.

shame since his other two efforts where such good documentary films.
41 to 60 of 6,530 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.