seen any good flicks lately?

5,981 to 6,000 of 6,529 messages
27/10/2009 at 15:48

Yes and don't forget I like all the rom com crap with Julia Roberts in it too, though I do draw the line and Sandra Bullock.

I shall try and prove myself wrong and think of a film with him in it that I did like.  I haven't seen the two that Parklife mentioned though (I don't think).

Arrangements currently being made with chum to see Imaginarium.

27/10/2009 at 15:56
hey sandra bullock is grrrreat! she can't help it if all of her films are rubbish
27/10/2009 at 16:04

ha ha ha ha

Doesn't she make/direct/produce/write* her own films now?  So she is rubbish by her own doing?

(delete as appropriate)

27/10/2009 at 16:20

Not seen The Savages.  Will keep an eye out for it.  Don't remember enjoying The Sqid and The Whale so probably just washed over me.

SB has made some real stinkers.  Which is a shame because she's very likable.

27/10/2009 at 23:22

If I may interrupt the conversation for a moment...

re Philip Seymour Hoffman - he seems to be better as a supporting actor, he was in The Big Lebowski and Punch Drunk Love, which are rather good fillums.  Also in Magnolia which was ok.

28/10/2009 at 08:34
He was good in a leading role as Truman Capote.
28/10/2009 at 09:27

He is very versatile... and very annoying.

Watched 'Johnny Mad Dog' last night.  My first movie for months... I don't think I'll ever enjoy another war film again.  Amazing film but harrowing, terrifying even... not a date movie (What was I thinking???)

Full review to come once I've lost the 1000 yard stare...

*edited for subliminal expletive which somehow materialised onto the page

Edited: 28/10/2009 at 09:29
28/10/2009 at 09:50

*chimes in*

I'm a PSH fan. He seems pretty down to earth and just gets on with the job.

I saw Katalin Varga t'other day. A fairly sombre movie but it got my vote. The cinematography (one of my real interests) was excellent.

Edited: 28/10/2009 at 09:51
28/10/2009 at 10:42

Johnny Mad Dog 

One of my favourite genres is the war film.  Each war film has a set of conventions that are usually followed.  Examples are: dehumanising initiation to the world of war in training; the soldiers are good men forced by circumstance to do evil things; the group will be a cohesive ‘band of brothers’; there will be leaders and followers; there will be an ‘outcast’ who is part of the group and yet not part of it and this outsider will either be a coward, a rebel or one who enjoys the brutalising consequences of war a little too much.

“Johnny Mad Dog” follows all of these conventions – adds a few more and the remarkable thing about the film is that none of the soldiers are over the age of 14. (The majority look about 11)

The film is set in the Liberian Civil war and is based upon a book by a US based Congolese author; it follows the brutal and sometimes harrowing adventures of a group of child soldiers led by the eponymous Johnny Mad Dog and his nasty little shit of second in command and rival ‘No Good advice’.  (Other boys have similar names like ‘Jungle Rocket’ and ‘Small Devil’).  The boys are cynically used as cannon fodder for the adult government backed troops to draw sniper fire or clear mines and IEDs but have a roving commission to execute civilians for target practice and group bonding purposes, press gang other boy soldiers into their unit and indulge in casual rape and torture.  ‘Band of Brothers’ or ‘Saving Private Ryan’ this is not – these children are evil personified... think Lord of the Flies with AK47s

Yet the genius of the filmmaker is to get you to identify with this feral tribe of ‘Lost boys’ and invite you to try to understand their plight.  This is done by constantly cutting to a parallel storyline of a young girl fleeing from the front line with her family, including her crippled father and younger brother.

I’ll not give too much away but there is a crisis point when the young girl meets Johnny and his character seems to be altered – redemption?... well, you’ll have to see for yourself.

The acting is superb throughout, with special plaudits to the kids playing ‘Johnny Mad Dog’ and his deranged second in command; the female child actor (Lokoto?) also displays a range way beyond her years.

All in all, it was an uncomfortable night in the cinema and the film stayed in my mind for many hours after the curtains closed and the turbulent ending is still causing me to reappraise my initial feelings; but this is a film I’d thoroughly recommend... but be warned, it is not one for the faint hearted.  It doesn’t deal in the glory of war - rather it deals with the imbecility of war and gets you to question your previous enjoyment of the genre.

8.5/10 – remarkable filmmaking at its best... but don’t take a date unless its Kate Adie

28/10/2009 at 12:17
Sounds like one to watch, having warned the wife first. And possibly one to watch on my own. She finds Lord of the Flies extremely disturbing.
28/10/2009 at 14:54

Have you seen 'Days of Glory' yet SVT?... very powerful war film (French Algerian)

I saw it last year and I think I reviewed it... it's on offer at Morrisons for £2.99 - well worth the punt

28/10/2009 at 15:52
I have Corinthian - I thought it was v good.  Took 2 dyslexic friends with me who struggle with subtitles but they said watching it was well worth the hassle of reading the titles and so much of it is visual/emotional anyway.
28/10/2009 at 15:56

i have just won 2 golden tickets to my local cinema. i took a survey to name the bast chck flick of all time, dirty dancing obv!!!! well they sent me 2 tickets to watch the winning fil its out of

fame

dirty dancing

grease

love actually

top gun

bridget jones

sex and the city

atonement???

pride and prejudice

and also i am going to watch THIS IS IT!

28/10/2009 at 16:00
 I'd struggle to choose.  I am a chick, but I don't do chick flicks.
28/10/2009 at 16:22
Top Gun a chick flick?  I thought it was one for young boys and a bit of a gay cult movie too.
28/10/2009 at 16:27

It was one of the few films that have changed a government's policy Parklife - after the French President (Not Sarkozy... the one before) had seen the film he lobbied for a law change so that 'Arab' troops that fought for France in WWII got the same pension rights as French troops

Top Gun... chick flick?

It's got more subliminal gay imagery than any other movie I can think of... even KellyMcGillis looks butch compared to the posturing boys in white suits. 

28/10/2009 at 16:28

Spooky!

28/10/2009 at 16:28
I loved Top Gun. Not at all because of the uniforms Haven't watched it for years. I think it'd be a serious time warp to watch it again, and I'm not a fan of Mr Cruise.
Edited: 28/10/2009 at 16:29
28/10/2009 at 16:50
I could understand Officer and a Gentleman being in that list of 'chick flicks'...
28/10/2009 at 16:51
Corinthian wrote (see)

Top Gun... chick flick?

It's got more subliminal gay imagery than any other movie I can think of... even KellyMcGillis looks butch compared to the posturing boys in white suits. 

What even more than Spartacus?  Surely not.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.