seen any good flicks lately?

6,021 to 6,040 of 6,529 messages
01/11/2009 at 13:20
Saw VI - much better than the previous, recommended.
01/11/2009 at 13:50
Ah - before seeing that I need to catch up with Saw V. And IV. III as well, come to think of it. And maybe I should also watch II. And without I it probably won't make much sense.
01/11/2009 at 14:17

went to see the fantastic mr fox with the boys

it was rubbish

01/11/2009 at 14:26
SVT - Saw 1,2,3 and 4 were pretty good but 5 was just poor viewing IMO. Saw 6 was has put the sequel back on track again.
Edited: 01/11/2009 at 14:26
01/11/2009 at 19:05
that's a relief.
06/11/2009 at 09:08

I can't think if I bothered with V to go and see Saw VI - I think even I had given up by then.

Anyone done the Imaginarium yet?

Righteous Kill
Thought it was quite funny that Lovefilm sent me it the day after SVT panned it.  I think I coped better with it than he did, I was happy enough with it for weekday evening viewing when it was that or soap operas.

Drag Me to Hell
Oh dear, oh dear me.  It's all been done before, a lot better.  Granted, a couple of scenes made us jump a bit, but that's good (adequate) cinematography, not a good film.  An hour and a half of my life I won't get back.

Parklife - Golden Compass is the first of three, based on the Philip Pullman books.

Edited: 06/11/2009 at 09:08
06/11/2009 at 13:16

I watched 'The Escapist' the other night. Like a British version of Prison Break condensed into a couple of hours, and without any shadowy extra-governmental conspiracy. Just some blokes escaping from prison. A good solid cast as well.

If anyone's seen it, I have questions about the ending (which would need to be prefaced with a spoiler warning...)

06/11/2009 at 13:31
SoVeryTired wrote (see)

If anyone's seen it, I have questions about the ending (which would need to be prefaced with a spoiler warning...)

Me too.  Though I applaud them for trying something different - i hate a cop out ending.

Dreading what Hollywood will do with Oldboy!!!  I Am Legend was bad enough.

06/11/2009 at 19:58
WHAT???? A Hollywood version of Oldboy????
06/11/2009 at 20:09

i think adam sandler is the lead.

or was it eddie murphy

08/11/2009 at 00:23

UP

Went to see this with Junior Blaze. Had heard good things about it but Kermode was less than effusive (but then Kermode can be wrong-headed on occasion).

Carl Meets Ellie when he is about 7 in 1920s America and they both have a love for  adventure, particularly as personified by Charles Muntz a South American explorer. They have a mutual desire to one day emulate Charles Muntz and visit Venezuela as adventurers. They marry, and life intervenes and their dreams for adventure and other things are unrealised. 

70 years later and Carl is a widower, and, on the verge of being farmed out to a retirement community, he decides on one last big adventure...

Pixar nearly at the top of their game with this one - an original (?) storyline,without the usual drag of flawed hero/spunky heroine which drags down more formulaic cartoon offerings. An old man and a rather chubby lad are the heroes of this one.

Much has been made of the emotional depth in several parts of this film and the first instance of this is affecting but not overly so. i have to say the second instance, 2/3rds the way through the film, made me wipe away a tear as it was quite touching: in a U certificate film - Michael Bay/Dreamworks take note - in fact most American film makers should take note because their films have become overtaken by CGI and lycra clad heroes and have lost their humanity along the way. The fact that Pixar can wring emotion from the arrangement of pixels shows that emotional depth is about the story and the characterisation, not the chosen medium.

I enjoyed this film a lot, despite what some critics have said was a flabby 2nd third featuring talking dogs. I have my theory on the talking dogs. In cartoons an unspoken convention is that animals cannot talk to humans. If they do, a wall in the story construction is broken. Pixar come up with a solution to this which strains the wall but doesn't quite break it.

OK its a U certificate: take a 7 year old niece/nephew for an excuse to go. 9/10

08/11/2009 at 14:30

Fast and Furious
Dodgy sort of remake sort of sequel to the original The Fast and The Furious with Vin Diesel and crew.  Usual rubbish, fast cars, bad people, FBI guy Brian blah blah blah. I know everyone will think it's a terrible film but I loved it.  An hour and a half of Vin Diesel yummmeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

08/11/2009 at 15:04
SoVeryTired wrote (see)
WHAT???? A Hollywood version of Oldboy????

yup, with Will 'box ofice' Smith in the lead role. Oh dear.

Seen Ghosttown (Gervais) and Get Smart (Carroll) on sky recenty - enjoyed both.  I've got Uncle Buck on my Sky planner to watch .

08/11/2009 at 16:52

An Education

So it was back to Curzon to see another movie er sorry film (it's the Australian in me you see). The screenplay was written by Nick Hornby (High Fidelity) so I had high expectataions, which isn't always a good thing to start with.

The film is set in the 1960's but I'd never call it a 'period piece' as I don't like that term. Jenny (played by the talented Carey Mulligan) is a 16 year old girl who thinks the best way for her to get somewhere in life is to go to Oxford and marry well, and her parents (very focussed on money and keeping up appearances) think the same.

Alas as a small town girl Jenny can't wait to leave life as a school girl and dreams of living a far more cultured life, not just reading about it in a text book. Then almost like a fantasy coming true, enters David (Peter Saarsgard) a man almost double her age who is soon letting Jenny experience the fine art and culture she dreams of, including whisking her away to a weekend in Paris. It's without a doubt a sign oft the times as her parents go from hanging their hopes on Jenny getting an education to David as Jenny's entry into a better life. Imagine in 2009 a similar situation and what kind of reaction David would get nowadays, let alone would her father who almost appears to be pimping Jenny as David charms the parents as well! 

Naturally not everyone agrees with Jenny's reaction to this new exciting life and here enters Emma Thomson playing Jenny's disapproving school mistress (I can't say I thought much of Emma's acting but i haven't forgiven her for having anything to do with 'I am Legend') and Olivia Willams who whilst having a mini role was one of my favourite characters. Jenny was Olivia's pet and she's not at all happy about Jenny throwing her education away. Alas, David is Jenny's first love and though the girl is smart, she sees the opportunity with David and seizes it.  Her school education needless to say suffers greatly. 

It was still enjoyable to watch Jenny transform in what is obviously a coming of age film and Jenny's intelligence still shows as she begins to see both herself and David in a clearer light. Classic line after they have done the deed (in Paris) nevertheless is 'All that poetry and all those songs, about something that lasts no time at all.'

So it's a coming of age film which of course has to include teenage heartbreak and the ending wasn't entirely unpredictable, at least for this sceptic. For that reason, I couldn't help but feel despite the great acting by Mulligan, it was a bit too same ol' same ol'. 

08/11/2009 at 17:23
Ultra Mouse wrote (see)

Parklife - Golden Compass is the first of three, based on the Philip Pullman books.

Thanks Mouse.

I saw The Descent on Friday on TV and liked it even more 2nd time around.  Liked the director's Dog Soldiers too.

03/12/2009 at 10:49

I keep forgetting to add my reviews.

Twilight - A New Moon
Teen vampire movie.  Fantastic if you are a teenage emo, equally fantastic if you are nostalgic for being a teenage emo.  Seriously, I rather liked it.  Liked it a lot. Though it will never been the 80s/90s vampire films of me yoof.  Gary Olman, Winona Ryder, Sadie Frost - droool.  (PS none of them are in this film).

Flashbacks of a Fool
Daniel Craig in (and involved in production) of a feel documenting the early life of a washed up Hollywood star who has over indulged his excesses.  Quite a good film actually, nice enough story, well enough acted.

Wolverine
Huge pile of overrated, CGI laden, sequel/prequel moneyspinning X-Men rubbish.  Quite entertaining really ha ha ha.

He's Just Not into You
I object to this film.  It's based on a pop-psychology self help book.  The message of the book is a bit sort of 'take a look at yourself and stop letting men walk all over you, sister' and the film takes all of the premises in the book and turns it into an effing rom com with a (mostly) happy ending. Gah!

03/12/2009 at 12:22

I saw The Men who stare at goats and The Informant.

TMWSAG is a satirical look at the US army and its dealings in Iraq. There are some good performances, with a scruffy George Clooney and an OTT hippy Jeff Bridges. Ewan MacGregor is pretty much himself, he plays a reporter who is investigating the existence of an army unit which uses paranormal powers in its missions.

Matt Damon is excellent in The Informant. He is uncharacteristically tubby, and plays a very bland person who decides to act as a whistleblower in a company where he is a senior executive, because of the culture of bribery and kickbacks there. He eventually hopes to advance his own position, and when the FBI gets involved, interesting things start happening. But things are not exactly what they seem...

Edited: 03/12/2009 at 12:40
03/12/2009 at 12:34

Ooooh, what have I seen recently?

First, the big screen. 2012. It's a disaster film and follows absolutely every convention including the more recent one of divorced-dad-as-hero. The people you expect to die, die. The people you expect to live, live. The scale of the disaster is massive, but almost too massive such that you never really connect with the human side. It passed the time, and looked good on the big screen, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. If only they'd taken some risks with the plot.

On the small screen, Changeling. An unbelievable-yet-true story of a single mother (Angelina Jolie) in 1920s Los Angeles, whose son disappears. When the LAPD return a boy to her who isn't her son, she objects and is locked up in a psychiatric hospital for being a nuisance. A very good film, with a great performance from AJ. She seems to be getting less attractive and a better actress with each film.

03/12/2009 at 13:37
AJ was brilliant in that movie SVT... I never knew she had it in her (Note the use of the word 'movie' Little Nemo... 'film' is something people used to put in their cameras in the olden days)
03/12/2009 at 13:41

Meh.

I'm old fashioned. I watch films.  Well fillums to be precise.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.