seen any good flicks lately?

6,041 to 6,060 of 6,533 messages
03/12/2009 at 14:19
I like 'fillums'... we had them in Liverpool too ;-)
03/12/2009 at 14:41

I call big blockbuster fillums movies.  Otherwise they're films to me.  I go to the pictures or flicks still.  Never been to the movies.

Saw Harry Brown a couple of weeks ago.  Think Get Carter with a pension book on a sink estate and you're there.  It's all a bit bleak but great performance by Sir Micheal.  I'm glad I saw it but not one if you're after happy viewing.

Also saw Adventureland.  A coming of age tale set about a young college graduate learning about life and love working the summer at the the eponymous Adventureland theme park.  Gentle and occasionally funny, it's a teen flick with heart.

03/12/2009 at 16:46
A Very Merry ChrisMouse wrote (see)

Meh.

I'm old fashioned. I watch films.  Well fillums to be precise.

I'm not old-fashioned, I'm British but with you Mouse.  I don't use an American short form for moving pictures.
03/12/2009 at 17:02
I'm not British, I say "movies"
03/12/2009 at 18:22
Shouldn't that be Moovies?
03/12/2009 at 18:30
You're right there, Moona says Moovies!
10/12/2009 at 19:11
I'm thinking it might be interesting to see Avatar in 3D when it's on at my local IMAX, find out what the fuss is all about! The only other movie I've ever seen in 3D is 300.
gingerfurball    pirate
10/12/2009 at 19:19
Anyone been to see The Descent 2 (it doesn't look like our ((stoopid)) omniplex is getting it so we might have to wait for the dvd) - I loved the first one so looking forward to the reviews.
10/12/2009 at 19:25
I've not watched it yet, but I've got the DVD of Colin sitting on my desk for later. A £45 zombie film (or fillum, or movie, or moovie...) has to be worth a watch. Anyone seen it??
10/12/2009 at 19:33
I haven't seen either of the above! I have a bit of catching up to do. I still want to see Seraphine and the movie about Keats, Bright Star. Has anyone seen these?
10/12/2009 at 20:25
Watching Colin now - so far, what a load of bullocks
27/12/2009 at 23:12
Just been to see Nowhere Boy - directed by Sam Tylor-Wood - about John Lennon's home life pre-Beatles.  I wasn't particularly expecting great things but I really liked it and thought it was a well-rounded story which captured the era well and didn't resort to unecessarily arty camera work.  I'd recommend it.
29/12/2009 at 20:12

Sherlock Holmes

went to see this yesterday.  I have read some of the books and hated them.  this was a lot of fun, lots of action, good chemistry between Holmes and Watson, great to look at and a funny dog.  what more do you need for a holiday film.   

29/12/2009 at 20:24

I went to see this with Junior B at the Leicester Showcase, which was undoubtedly the poshest shiniest picture house I've ever been to. It was digital 3D as well.

Srsly.

James Cameron has undoubtedly made some great cinema - Terminator 1 and 2. Aliens and ahem Titanic. Also some less successful clunkers - Abyss and True Lies.

How does this match up?

Well, if you can get past the "Dances with Aliens" storyline - and i reckon some people will have real problems with some of the Pocahontas stylee mysticism - then what you are left with is possibly the most visually stunning and beautiful film ever committed to celluloid (see what i did there). Frame after frame of gobsmacking visuals, and really quite wonderful.

Yes fans will undoubtedly recognise some aspects of the design from their album covers and many of Cameron's tics are also there - particularly referencing back to Aliens.

I loved it. Storyline notwithstanding and plotline holes not withstanding, all the budget was up there on the screen and, given this had the potential to be an enormously expensive turkey, it wasn't.

One of those rare occasions when you leave the cinema thinking WOW!

9/10

29/12/2009 at 21:54
Thanks for that JJ - I've been wondering about seeing it so may go along.  Some reports say it can make you a bit nauseous - are they right? 
29/12/2009 at 21:58
In 3d there were a couple of moments that made me go ooh er but otherwise I was ok.
29/12/2009 at 21:59

Ta.   I'll give the hot dogs and popcorn a miss then.

29/12/2009 at 22:14
I finally saw The Great Escape. I'm not reviewing it because I'm sure you've all seen it but one off the list...
29/12/2009 at 22:52
Watched ' Inside' last night..... plenty of gore.
31/12/2009 at 20:00

Happy New Year film fans. Lang may her lum reek.

best film of 2009: Let The Right One In

worst film of 2009: Avatar

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.