seen any good flicks lately?

6,061 to 6,080 of 6,533 messages
03/01/2010 at 00:44
A bit harsh in a year which saw Transformers 2...
Kryten    pirate
03/01/2010 at 02:49
I just watched The Deer Hunter on TV. Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, Christopher Walken. Now that is a great film.
03/01/2010 at 21:31

maybe jj but then that was Transformers 2, which nobody pretends is a groundbreaking ballbusting piece of cinema.as avatar was marketed. and it was awful.

03/01/2010 at 21:33

I've done some thinking about this one.

I think Avatar is like St Peters in Rome.

You may not like the ideas that led to its construction but you cannot deny the craftsmanship...

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 21:34
05/01/2010 at 13:30

I saw Avatar last night and I agree with everything JB said about it.  It's visually stunning with effects that manage to be understated and beautiful rather than in your face.  Unfortunately the story line is fairly weak, not bad but not really good enough to match the visuals.

The only thing that really ruined it for me was the terrible music over the end credits.  Whoever wrote that should be locked in a small room with Celine Dion.

05/01/2010 at 13:33
I've googled and the music is "I see you" sung by Leona Lewis.  It's already been tipped as an Oscar winning song.  Please, noooooooo!
05/01/2010 at 13:53

Not seen Avatar yet but plan to.

I did see Sherlock Holmes the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Guy Richie can actually make another kind of film.  All his touches are there like slow downs/speed ups and sneaky reveals and it's a crime caper set in London with the heroes being a bit handy.  But this has a completely different feel to his other films.  The partnership of Robert Downy Jnr and Jude Law works really well.  Whilst RDJ doesn't entirely convince with his dubious accent, he is still engaging as an extremely eccentric Holmes.  JL is great as Watson and that character is allowed to develop too, making him an almost equal partner rather than the tea boy the role often gets reduced to.  The old London town created around them looks great.  It's really hard to see the join between what's real and what is CGI.  The main plot is reasonably involved and there are a few sub plots and interests that don't really work so well but overall, I think it works and look forward to seeing the next instalment.

Hopefully will see Fish Tank tonight at the direcotrs chair screening.  Some Odeons, including my local, are doing reduced tockes on Tuesdays,  Perfect for the directors chair

05/01/2010 at 14:30
Thanks for the review, BDB, I might see Sherlock Holmes later, one of the local cinemas shows all films for only £3.50 on Tuesdays!
07/01/2010 at 10:05

Hmm thanks BDB - I've been wavering on this, so might go now.

I watched Almodovar's Matador on DVD last night.  About death and eroticism.  I've been catching up with some of his older films I haven't seen and I thought this was the best of the early ones.  Can't really give a coherent review as all sorts of things go on - definitely no sexual innuendo tho', it's all upfront.

17/01/2010 at 13:24

State of Play

Russell Crowe as a slobby journalist investigating two deaths in washigton finds that his friend congressman ben Affleck is somehow linked with them.

This was quite good, although I'm afraid i didn't quite follow the last twist in the plot. But it rattled along at a fair pace and I'd give it a 6.5/10.

District 9

Its a science fiction film Jim, but not as we know it. 

An alien spaceship has pitched up on earth - hovering above Jo'burg - and its inhabitants - the "Prawns" - have been corralled into a shanty town - District 9. They are treated as not much better than cattle by the SA population. Now what parallels could they possibly be drawing here?

A very good first half which is in a mockumentary style, which makes it unlike any sci-fi film I've ever seen. This was all very good. The lead character - a govt employee called Wilkus, whose job it is to evict the prawns to a new tent concentration camp - has a descent into madness when he becomes infected by the prawns he despises and starts to mutate into one of them. This was also very good.

It sort of descended into a robot blamfest at the end but it was a good watch, although not quite as deep and meaningful as some would have us believe.

I'd say 8/10

22/01/2010 at 22:15

Theres a reputed classic film coming to the Prince Charles cinema in London -  Bicyle Theives   Its in a book of the top must-see 500 films.  An old Italian film but should be good.  I'm looking forward to it, I love old black and whites.    Anyone else?

Will report back.

22/01/2010 at 22:20
Bicycle Thieves is top class. Don't expect high speed chases or CGI. Just a great and sad film
I recently saw Up In The Air (better than I expected) and The White Ribbon - a fantastic film.
Rc.    pirate
22/01/2010 at 22:36
Agree with you there JB on District 9 good film. Also enjoyed the new star trek very much great film
23/01/2010 at 00:27
Just saw A Prophet.  V good - amazing attention to detail and so understated (and terefore believeable and realistic).  Affected me more after while digestiing and discussing in the pub.
23/01/2010 at 18:53
Hello, it's about a year since I last posted on this thread. Due to injury and the accompanying sulks I have only recently got back to visiting the RW forums.

I noted a recent query about The Golden Compass, based on the first book in the Philip Pulman triology. It's very unlikely that the next two books will be filmed. although the film performed well worldwide, it disappointed at the American box office - partly due to the backlash against its anti - religious stance, and the options for the sequels haven't been picked up.

I was wondering if anyone had seen the Joe Meek movie, Telstar - probably a typically quirky small British movie.

On the subject of small quirky movies, I watched "Once" an Irish movie, which I think won an Oscar for best original song. I've had it sitting on the shelf for about a year now and never got round to watching it. It's a sort of 'will they, won't they" story about a busker, played by Glen Hansard, of the Frames and Irish rock band and a musically talented Czech immigrant (Margeta Irglova) as their lives entangle over a week in Dublin. It's quite engaging, and the sound track (lots of Hansard composed songs), is very strong. Sadly it's let down by the fact that neither Hansard or Irglova are particularly good actors.

Recently I watched the remade "Manchurian Candidate" which I thought was a bit weak, so I promptly stuck the original into the DVD player. What a great film this is - a classic cold war conspiracy, with Angela Baddeley outmonstering Merryl Streep by a mile. Cheered by this I resolved not to bother with the remade "Taking of Pelham 123" and again opted for it's original. Although it has a very 70s feel to it, especially the rather over the top sound track, it's sharp and well paced and very funny -very much the style of John Carpenter in his early years. The leads are Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. Matthau played the same style of pan faced, aercerbic and quick tonged charactor that he plays in Charlie Varrick, whilst Shaw played the same wild eyed, simmering charactors that he played in Jaws and the Sting.

Last week I ended up watching In Bruges twice! I'm sure this has been reviewed here previously, so I won't rake through the ashes again, except to say that I was really surprised by Colin Farrell. I've previously not rated him, but his performance here had depth and nuance.

Finally, for now, I finally got round to watching "Burn Before Reading". I wasn't too sure about this, as it didn't get particularly good reviews - generally regarded as being lazy film making by the Coen brothers standard. I must say I really loved it, a bit like Fargo without the snow, peopled by incompetants and inadequates who heaped misdeed upon misdeed to create a mini mayhem which eventually came to nothing. Very funny and well acted and even (well almost) Brad Pitt.

That's it for now, reading your reviews with interest, now it's back in me box.

Edited: 23/01/2010 at 18:57
31/01/2010 at 19:30
Boing.

Tom  - think that should be Burn After Reading. Enjoyed the film though as I can be a black comedy fan.

I've been having a bit of a film catch up in the last few weeks, mostly mainstream stuff. I've seen Up in the Air (George was the only highlight but can see why it's going to do well with the awards - it's a typical feel good film), Avatar (good effects, too darn long (like Titanic), predictable plot), Sherlock Holmes (Robert DJ was good!) and White Ribbon (impactful) and the only one I'll probably remember seeing in a few months time.
Edited: 31/01/2010 at 19:40
01/02/2010 at 17:42

Tom- I share your opinion of In Bruges, I really enjoyed that, and was also agreeably surprised by Colin Farrell's performance, I might buy it!
I also liked Once, as you said, the acting was maybe not great, but I thought they were good together, and I don't regret having seen it.

I'm scheduled to see Up in the air tomorrow, so I'll look forward to that. I'm not an absolutely massive fan of George Clooney's, but I don't mind him. I wonder whether any of my experiences at Franfurt Airport during the Xmas catastrophes will be replicated?
I still haven't seen Sherlock Holmes, but I intend to, I rather like RDJ! I'm surprised that they need to use CGI for something that sounds like a fairly regular type of film visually??

I,m booked to see Avatar at the IMAX in about 10 days' time, so I'm looking forward to that.

02/02/2010 at 12:35

I loved In Bruges too.  If I see it for a few quid, I'll grab it.

LN - not sure that Up In the Air is a feel good film.  I felt a bit sad after.  There are life afirming moments, but it doesn't have a happy ending.

Moo - CGI is everywhere now.  In Sherlock Holms, it doesn't impact the film, but CGI is how you build such a great looking period set.  I would imagine a fair amount of the outside action was shot in front of a green screen.

02/02/2010 at 13:18

My friend dragged me to Burn After Reading at the cinema and it took us both a while to get into it but I'm glad we stuck with it because we found it hilarious.

Telstar has been on my Lovefilm list since it was available on DVD.  I wish they'd send it.

I thought the Golden Compass was OK.  The ending completely suggested more to follow.  It'll be weird if they don't continue the story ...

I didn't like In Bruges at all.  I found it a cold, hard film and couldn't relate to any of the characters.

I've got Love In The Time Of Cholera here to watch later.

02/02/2010 at 14:30

Well, just in, here are some of the 2010 Academy Award nominations!

Best Picture
* “Avatar” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
* “The Blind Side” Nominees to be determined
* “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers
* “An Education” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
* “The Hurt Locker” Nominees to be determined
* “Inglourious Basterds” Lawrence Bender, Producer
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers
* “A Serious Man” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers
* “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer
* “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers

Actor in a Leading Role
* Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
* George Clooney in “Up in the Air”
* Colin Firth in “A Single Man”
* Morgan Freeman in “Invictus”
* Jeremy Renner in “The Hurt Locker”

Actor in a Supporting Role
* Matt Damon in “Invictus”
* Woody Harrelson in “The Messenger”
* Christopher Plummer in “The Last Station”
* Stanley Tucci in “The Lovely Bones”
* Christoph Waltz in “Inglourious Basterds”

Actress in a Leading Role
* Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
* Helen Mirren in “The Last Station”
* Carey Mulligan in “An Education”
* Gabourey Sidibe in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
* Meryl Streep in “Julie & Julia”

Actress in a Supporting Role
* Penélope Cruz in “Nine”
* Vera Farmiga in “Up in the Air”
* Maggie Gyllenhaal in “Crazy Heart”
* Anna Kendrick in “Up in the Air”
* Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”

Animated Feature Film
* “Coraline” Henry Selick
* “Fantastic Mr. Fox” Wes Anderson
* “The Princess and the Frog” John Musker and Ron Clements
* “The Secret of Kells” Tomm Moore
* “Up” Pete Docter

Art Direction
* “Avatar” Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair
* “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” Art Direction: Dave Warren and Anastasia Masaro; Set Decoration: Caroline Smith
* “Nine” Art Direction: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim
* “Sherlock Holmes” Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
* “The Young Victoria” Art Direction: Patrice Vermette; Set Decoration: Maggie Gray

Cinematography
* “Avatar” Mauro Fiore
* “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Bruno Delbonnel
* “The Hurt Locker” Barry Ackroyd
* “Inglourious Basterds” Robert Richardson
* “The White Ribbon” Christian Berger

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.