seen any good flicks lately?

6,101 to 6,120 of 6,533 messages
01/03/2010 at 10:05

I started to watch The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas last night but didn't like it at all.  I thought the casting and ultimately acting wasn't right for the subject matter.  I switched it off and went to bed.

I've got Let The Right One In to watch next Johnny B + A Very Long Engagement and a French film - The Girl on the Bridge.

I loved Nowhere Boy, Flibberty.

EDIT: typo

Edited: 01/03/2010 at 13:25
07/03/2010 at 18:56

Alice in Wonderland 3D

I went along to this yesterday just because my sister wanted to go for her birthday.  I didn't really expect much and thought it would be for kids (being Disney and all that) but I have to admit that I really enjoyed it.  The 3D effects were more about giving depth than things coming out at you, although they did at times.  The star of the film was undoubtedly Johnny Depp who was brilliant as usual.  There is often something quite hyptotic about his performances for me and this one didn't fail on that as I could have watched him all day. 

One things for sure - its not for young kids and deserves its PG certificate.  There were a few young kids in the cinema aged around 8 or 9 but they were bored and getting up to go to the loo all the time.  I don't thing they understood what was going on. 

All in all, a good bit of fun.

07/03/2010 at 19:10

I saw Zombieland the other night.

Although it tailed off a bit when it started to focus on "relationships" as opposed to blowing zombies' brains out, the first 40 minutes were very funny and quite inventive.

I would recommend it for anyone who likes horror films with a bit of wit in them.

08/03/2010 at 22:27

I took my ten year old to see Alice in Wonderland yesterday. (3D).   I have to disagree with Soup Dragon's answer to why the 8 - 9 year olds were going out to the toilet a lot, I don't think it was because they didn't understand the story, it was because it was so boring.  Or because their parents had bought them a bucket of coke.

I wouldn't say it was a must see.

08/03/2010 at 22:48

LOL biziliz - I wonder if its cos I went expecting to be bored so my expectations were pretty low to begin with.  Too much coke is a possibility too.  I still enjoyed it though.

09/03/2010 at 19:27

Glad that Hurt Locker beat Avatar in Best Director and Film at the Oscars. 

I've not seen The Last Station (Helen Mirren) but think Sandra Bullock was lucky. She did okay in The Blind Side but I wouldn't call her performance brilliant. 

And some more foreign films on the 'to see list' now. 

09/03/2010 at 21:01

I watched 'PS I love you' last night. To be honest I hadn't thought a great deal of the book and I found the film boring, I watched about 3/4 of it and then decided I'd had enough and turned it off!

Also watched Premonition on film4 which I really enjoyed, I like a film with a bit of intrigue!

I am ushering at the cinema on Saturday night and will be watching 'Up in the Air'. It doesn't sound like something I would normally choose so we shall see!

I wasn't over impressed with 'The boy in the Striped Pyjamas' either. Again, I think its because I read the book first and preferred the book!

I haven't seen The Hurt Locker or Avatar yet

14/03/2010 at 22:37

I also have some catching up to do with films since the last time I posted. Of the "big" films mentioned at the Academy Awards, the only one I saw was Avatar.

While viewing Troy on tv last night, I couldn't help thinking: isn't it about time that Brad Pitt got rid of his facial furniture?

15/03/2010 at 07:37
Watched 'up in the air' over the weekend. A few people had told me it was good but I didn't like it I'm afraid. I don't like George clooney! I found it a bit predictable and slow. Started to watch 'burn after reading' last night and went to bed before it finished as it was boring!!!! Not having much luck!
19/03/2010 at 11:55

The Hurt Locker

Cons Paint by numbers hat tilt to ye olde Western Movie - cliched, manipulative... and quite possibly racist in outcome if not in intent. (Made my blood boil at one point!)

Pros Very skillfully made, tense and then some, some very good acting

6/10

19/03/2010 at 17:10

Yo Corinth!

Has anyone seen The Green Zone with Matt Damon yet? Is it worth seeing?

19/03/2010 at 17:12
Really enjoyed Looking for Eric and also Tell No One, despite the latter unexpectedly being in French.
19/03/2010 at 17:22
Tell No One (Ne le Dis A Personne) is one of my favourite films Sheri.  I need to go out and buy it.
19/03/2010 at 17:47

Yo Moo!

Re Green Zone - I quite liked it. Moo. I also liked 'Tell No One'...

19/03/2010 at 18:23

Drag Me to Hell (no, not literally)

Un film de Sam Raimi of Spider-Man fame. I got quite a few jolts out of this and there were also a number of ewww moments, plus a few LOL moments - which I dunno were intended or not.

But it was good fun while it lasted although the ending was telegraphed more in advance than a Bugner left hook.

Mrs B also stayed awake throughout, which generally means a thumbs-up. Worth seeing if you want a comedy horror film but not for littlies. 6/10

19/03/2010 at 19:37
Hmm ... I like Sam Raimi's The Quick and the Dead.  It's my favourite modern Western.
Rc.    pirate
20/03/2010 at 15:30
 I like that as well Parklife, but my fav is Tombstone with Kilmer and Russel in brilliant
05/04/2010 at 17:59

Since it's Easter- has anyone caught up with movies on TV? I saw all sorts of British gangster movies I've never seen before!

At the movies, I saw "The blind side". I thought it was pretty good, especially since it's a real story treated well. But was it worth Sandra Bullock getting an Academy award?

05/04/2010 at 21:48
I saw Layer Cake at Easter on TV moomoo.  Not amazing but watchable I thought.
05/04/2010 at 21:55

Vantage Point

Well, it's got Dennis Quaid in, so I should have known better.

Started off "quite interesting"  US President is assassinated in a big public meeting in "Salamanca, Spain".

We then see the assassination from a number of different points of view - each participant seeing things that the others do not. So I thought it might be a film where you have to construct your theories as it goes along - bit of a workout for the old brainpan. Wrong.

About 45 minutes in it goes all "24" with DQ running around a lot and some quite frankly ludicrous car chases and plot developments. By 1hr 15 I wanted to switch it off.

A bit of a turkey all in all. 3/10

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.