seen any good flicks lately?

6,141 to 6,160 of 6,529 messages
29/09/2010 at 15:21
Single Man - Don't know why Tom Ford's debut at directing was heralded so loudly. The film felt more designed than directed. Firth's probably the highlight but found the whole thing a bit bland. Next please...
Edited: 29/09/2010 at 15:22
29/09/2010 at 15:26

I saw a bit of that last week LN and felt the same + I found it v slow.

29/09/2010 at 15:43
Yes, it was slow Parky. So what's next on your list? There's not really that much  new on at the moment that appeals.
Edited: 29/09/2010 at 15:47
29/09/2010 at 16:06
Nothing at all LN.
29/09/2010 at 21:02

Knowing

A Nicolas Cage film.

People can see the future. 

I wish I had, it was shit.

01/10/2010 at 18:03

Made in Dagenham -  was good.   Miranda Richardson was absolutely brilliant as Barbara Castle.  Good to see Bob Hoskins in a film again at long last.  He played a much more sympathetic role than his usual gangster type character.  The film has been very much dramatised and just a snapshot of what happened.  A lot of the original women have been sort of merged together to form one central character and the film centres on their dispute to get equal pay, although the strike was also about being graded as skilled workers which they never got.   A nice touch at the end though was to show recent clips from the actual women talking about the strike. 

Overall - an easy going film with some sad bits thrown in and worth seeing.  Wouldn't say its the best film in the world but is still most enjoyable.

01/10/2010 at 18:05
mmm-gonna watch that Tuesday soupy
02/10/2010 at 18:30

Hmmmm, what have I seen recently that's worth reporting on?

Inception on the big screen.  I'm sure it's not quite as clever as it thought it was but it was a good watch and I enjoyed the not-quite-ending. So, I thinkg at one point there were either six or seven levels of reality. Depending.

The Kite Runner on DVD. Quite a moving story that got a bit too Hollywood action film at the end but that didn't detract from the overall positives.

02/10/2010 at 18:58
The Kite Runner is a great film.  Got that on DVD too.
05/10/2010 at 11:52
Parklife wrote (see)

Boys from Brazil - great film.

Saw The Secret in Their Eyes last night, an Argentinian film, I think billed as a thriller but it's so much more than that.  A lovely, well-shot, subtle, slow burner with great character interaction.  I almost wish I hadn't see it, so I could watch it again.  Fab.

Thought Secret was fab too Parky. Should have seen the ending coming but didn't.
01/11/2010 at 06:37

FYI film fans:

Don't know if you've ever heard of Keynoir but it's one of those sites that offer x amount of discounts on random things each day. Today Keynoir London has 100 six months of 2 disc unlimited package membership for half price £38.97 for £77.94.  If you aren't signed up to Keynoir, just sign up to Keynoir for free and you should see the discount. 

01/11/2010 at 09:37
Do they do discounts on that protein-rich seed but can't spell?
01/11/2010 at 12:52

I see what you did there...

Finally got round to watching 'Ali' last night. Very strong central performance by Will Smith but I finished the film, even as someone with only a fleeting knowledge of Muhamed Ali, feeling like I didn't know anything more about him than I did when I started. I like to learn something from my biopics, rather than just be reminded of things I already knew.

01/11/2010 at 13:29

Watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona yesterday. Oh my, that Penelope Cruz is sexy. I don't usually like Woody Allen films, all that stuttering and angst, but Cruz and Bardem made it a memorable film. Yes the plot is a bit hackneyed and yes the ending is entirely predictable, but Bardem and Cruz make it brilliant.

01/11/2010 at 13:51

SoVeryTired - I agree; it was a bit disappointing, despite Smith's uncanny ability to catch his intonation.  Why not just watch When We were Kings instead.

Am still a little concerned about The Hobbit, despite the good news of Martin Freeman taking it on and the apparent new resolve to get on with it.  I just think it's going to be hard to make the twelve dwarves interesting characters.  I also wince at the idea of Andy Serkis throwing himself back into the Gollum thing and wish they'd get him to just tone it down a bit.

01/11/2010 at 14:46

SVT - I watched Ali and found it fluffy, dream-like and instantly forgettable.  I love When We Were Kings.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - fab film.  I liked all the players.  A nice feelgood film that's not too fluffy.

01/11/2010 at 16:09

I watched "Sherlock Holmes 2" being filmed in Richmond Park the week before last. Does that count?

Some rather crap low-resolution photos here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHETqfcyZQ

Edited: 01/11/2010 at 16:10
01/11/2010 at 17:37

Parky - I don't know whether to laugh at that or not But actually on that note, in the last few weeks I've seen a few black comedies.  Enough said really.

I also some of Ajami but I just couldn't get into it, and The Kids are All Right. The latter wasn't my choice and was a bit too American for me.

Edited: 01/11/2010 at 17:50
01/11/2010 at 22:08
Eh Ninja?  Which bit did you find funny?  That I liked Vicky C B ...  ?
01/11/2010 at 22:23

Saw Frost/Nixon the other night.

Whilst  I thought that Frank Langella's performance was none too similarphysically or vocally to Nixon, it was a well-written film, beautifully paced by Ron Howard, and engrossing throughout.

8.5/10

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.