seen any good flicks lately?

6,161 to 6,180 of 6,530 messages
03/01/2011 at 20:08
*bump*

Saw The Way Back t'other day. The first 30 or so mins were good, but then found the film a bit slow. Cutting 20 mins out may have helped. Some spectacular scenery though. 7/10

Parky - comment about whether to laugh or not was re your comment on Keynoir
03/01/2011 at 20:12

I saw Tron Legacy with Junior Blaze the other night.

$170m it cost, of which I would guess about 8 quid went on the script.

Actually quite a dull film, which was only marginally enlivened by a truly bizarre cameo from Michael Sheen. Lead man (don't know who he is) was a charisma void, as was the female "love interest".

Even Jeff Bridges couldn't save this one.

5/10

03/01/2011 at 22:41

Speaking of Michael Sheen - I love the video for the Manics' 'It's Not War' in which he stars.

I saw In The Loop last night.  Oh how I laughed.   It was f*** c**t funny!

05/01/2011 at 15:11

Checking IMDB I see in the loop scores a perfect 10 out of 10 for profanity.

Over the festive season I caught up with Iron Man 2.  A bit like Iron Man 1 without the original development of the character and a new baddie.  Jolly in a 'brain switched off' kind of way.  One bit which did grate though was the use of bleeps.  If you can lip read, you can pick up the sense of the word anyway.  I'm wondering if it was done to qualify for a 12 and not a 12A certificate.  For reasons I can't quite articulate I find this worrying/annoying.

Kick-Ass.  What would happen today if you set out to be a superhero, but without possessing any superpowers?  Join our teenage hero as he...  It's another comic/graphic novel crossover and they've broadly kept the storyline intact.  The film is slightly lighter (in tone) than the novel which, on balance I prefer, but both are uber-violent in a cartoonish fashion.  The only actor I recognised was Nicolas Cage, which in my book is no great recommendation as he's not a mesmeric performer.   

05/01/2011 at 15:56

was dragged under extreme protest to watch Gullivers Travels (3D) on Monday by family as part of no.1 son's birthday (he wanted to go to the flicks and there was nothing else on)

I can't beleive that I had to pay £36 for the pleasure of having 1 hour 25 minutes (near 2 hours if you count the interminable ads \ trailers beforehand) of my life stolen from me.

I think it was made in 3D so that the fact people were wearing glasses would save them when trying to push pointy objects into their eyes to stop the horror.

Awful, awful awful film ... although the final 'dance scene' is probably so far past awful as to become something to behold.  

05/01/2011 at 16:02

I feel for you Bruce.  I've not seen it nor plan to.  I find Jack Black with his stupid facial expressions and his eyebrows really annoying. 

06/01/2011 at 08:19

Bruce - I feel your pain. Whilst not having found it quite as painful, it wasn't good. It was the kids' choice as we had free tickets for them, while I was trying to convince them to see Voyage of the Dawntreader. Their mistake. They seemed to enjoy it, and I did laugh with them on a couple of occasions but I can't remember what they were.  As a family afternoon out, success.  As a viewing experience, fail.

And given that I was only on 'moderately bad' rather than 'awful', the final dance scene for me was just plain awful.

Funniest moments? Looking at my 5-year old in massive 3D glasses, him looking at me, and us both laughing. Then him standing up at the end looking like he was wearing a pair of popcorn trousers (front and back, somehow). Those were the comedy highlights.

06/01/2011 at 23:14

The King's Speech - Preview screening
What an awesome film this is.  I was enthralled from start to finish and everything about it was so well done.  Brilliant casting (I was skeptical of Colin Firth not looking anything like George VI but the character was so convincing), script moved along seamlessly with some lovely lighter/comic lines dotted in at exactly the right places.  Music was perfect and overall a very heart-warming story that you don't have to be a royalist to enjoy.  Just go and see it. 

Well thats my view anyway.     Awards all round I hope.

Edited: 06/01/2011 at 23:14
14/01/2011 at 23:56

The King's Speech

Really, I shouldn't like this film. I am a republican, I don't much like costume drama, and Colin Firth has always struck me as a rather muted, over-rated screen presence. Too buttoned-up by far.

But this is his annus mirabilis - a superb performance which was frequently painful and emotional to watch - and for long periods, an object lesson in acting without saying a word.

Witty, and frequently comical, it was gripping throughout - with no CGI, no monsters and no explosions.

I'm not entirely sure it will chime with "The Academy's" requirement for films which fit their current world view, but I doubt I'll see a better film this year.

If CF doesn't win an Oscar for this performance he never will.

See it.

9.5/10.

16/01/2011 at 21:31

Saw The King's Speech yesterday.  I agree with JB, fab film, beautifully written dialogue, just so watchable.  

My husband wasn't keen to see it - he likes action films - but he was babbling about it for ages afterwards.

16/01/2011 at 22:21
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

I saw Tron Legacy with Junior Blaze the other night.

$170m it cost, of which I would guess about 8 quid went on the script.

Actually quite a dull film, which was only marginally enlivened by a truly bizarre cameo from Michael Sheen. Lead man (don't know who he is) was a charisma void, as was the female "love interest".

Even Jeff Bridges couldn't save this one.

5/10

Agreed, poor acting, dialogue and story, but I enjoyed the sound effects and music, subsequenty have listened to the soundtrack a few times, it is quite good. I think the cameo by Daft Punk was the highlight of the film.

21/01/2011 at 12:26

127 hours

Don't go if your squeemish.  Based on a true story.  Interesting but gruesome.

21/01/2011 at 16:06
I saw that at the weekend. I thought it was ok, I knew the storyline before I went but feel it was too padded out.
21/01/2011 at 16:11
Really want to see The Dilemma & although I have no interest in ballet whatsoever I would like to quite see Black Swan.
24/01/2011 at 14:07
I didn't really like The King's Speech.  I thought it was cheesy, ridiculous in places (Guy Pearce's accent a case in point) and quite a bit of overacting was going on a lot of the time.  I agree with what JB says above about Colin Firth's acting.  His disability was done very well.
24/01/2011 at 15:23

Saw Black Swan & The Green Hornet at the weekend.

Black Swan was quite good and for the guys who don't want to see it, there is a girl on girl scene in there to keep you entertained.

The Green Hornet was ok, not really my sort of thing anyway but Seth Rogen's acting/character made it bearable for me.

Anyone seen The Dilemma yet?

24/01/2011 at 15:24
k8greene wrote (see)

i don't know whether to go or not.
24/01/2011 at 15:26
the last film i watched was inception (on dvd!!) just dont know what the hype was about and still now i have no idea what was going on!!
24/01/2011 at 15:33
skotty wrote (see)
k8greene wrote (see)

i don't know whether to go or not.

Get your own coat.

Muppley - saw Inception twice at the cinema. First time I found it was ok, second time I really really liked it.

24/01/2011 at 15:34
Inception is a cracking movie.  I wasn't lost on the first viewing, but the second bought up more questions.  If I watch it a third time I'll probably be super cuffuddled.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.