seen any good flicks lately?

6,181 to 6,200 of 6,529 messages
24/01/2011 at 16:10
I liked inception - it's a total head mess though, if you blink!

I saw the Coen Bros True Grit a week ago... really liked it. I wasn't expecting to - but I did
15/03/2011 at 10:32

I saw Inception.  Thought it was quite good and didn't really find it confusing.  The fight scene in the snow went on far too long - just about ruined all the other good content.

However, for me this pales into insignificance when compared to V for Vendetta which I saw on TV on Sunday.  What a film!  Completely blew me away.  Do you ever go to see a film and think it hits all your buttons and provides a totally satisfying cinematic experience?  V for Vendetta did that for me.  Also in that category - Constant Gardener; Ne Le Dis a Personne.  In The Loop came close too.

15/03/2011 at 14:17

I really liked Inception but I wasn't confused when I saw it first time.  Second viewing however bought up a few more questions and left me think more about it.  May need a thid viewing.

Not seen V4V Parky.  Had mixed reviews at the time.  I'll put it on the list.

15/03/2011 at 14:52

If you enjoyed the film, then look out the graphic novel it was based on (also called the same).  I am a huge Alan Moore fan, unfortunately some of the film adaptations of his work have been stinkers. 

15/03/2011 at 17:47

Hello Ferrett - I'm hoping someone at work's going to lend it to me.  The only graphic novel I've read is Persepolis although I did follow Sandman and some other stories when someone I used to share a house with bought comics and passed them round.  What did you think of the film Ferret?  I'm going to need to see it again soon.

4 of us are having a chiller evening at a friend's house on Friday.  Think we might watch The Orphanage (second time for me and one of the other people). 

16/03/2011 at 09:40
I enjoyed V, but like any adaptation there are details which get lost in translation.  From Hell (which is one of the more disturbing graphic novels I've read) was completely trashed in the adaptation into film form.  I have a copy of Watchman which I've not yet seen through yet, initial impressions are it's a fair stab at a close copy of the novel.
17/04/2011 at 22:26
Just saw Les petits mouchoirs (little white lies) dir: Guillaume Canet.  I loved it, although I can't actually say why.  It's not like I related to any of the characters particularly.  I felt affected for all of my journey home from the cinema and returned to normal after a couple of glasses of wine when I got in.
17/04/2011 at 23:18

V for Vendetta is one of my all time favourite films despite its various flaws.  As you say, it just pushes buttons for me.  Inception was very ggod too although I do agree the who snow scene did drag on some, especially given how clever the rest of the film had been.  I was however puzzled that my OH could 'get' Inception but not the Matrix!

Another favourite of mine is Pan's Labrynth, which is very dark but beatifully filmed and very fantasy.  Angel A is another.  A gorgeous film from Luc Beson in Frech (with subtitles if required) filmed beautifully  and with charisma.  Love them both in different ways every time I watch them.

17/04/2011 at 23:33
You're being far too cultured there Parky

CD - I thought the snow scene was the fastest part of the filum. I think Inception is a far higher concept than The Matrix. Not too much to get with the later - an actioner with a plot that aint as clever as it thinks. Good fun though.

I recently got a Lovefilm subscription so working my way through a few films. Any recommendations to add to the list?
18/04/2011 at 08:49

BDB, for starters:

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
In The Loop
Ne le Dis A Personne

18/04/2011 at 10:41

Latest film reviews (not as cultered as Parklife's though!)

Scre4m (aka Scream 4) - See if you liked the others, definitely one of the better out of the quadrilogy. Scream was the original horror spoof film & this film went back to it's roots, taking the piss out of itself & being able to pull it off. Storyline was ok & a handful of the cast were good. A couple of good laugh out loud moments too. #clear!

Red Riding Hood -  Was expecting better. It's made out to be a darker take on the fairy tale but it just kind of fell a bit flat. Never felt that it really took off.

Your Highness - Wanted to see something light-hearted but towards the end I was starting to get bored. Funny in parts but as usual you can catch all the good bits in the trailer. 

18/04/2011 at 11:14

Had a Scandinavian weekend recently and caught up with:

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)- I'm still musing about this one.  On the back sleeve of the box it tells you about the nature of Eli (the female lead), which I think would have been better left unsaid.  The film centres around her and Oscar an impossibly blond child who seems to have a perpetually snotty nose and is being bullied at school.  Its beautiful to look at, but quite slow paced, the peripheral characters are only sketched in and the end of the film left me wanting to know more. 

The girl with... (dragon tattoo, hornets nest, played with fire).
slightly more mainstream fare here.  I'd read and enjoyed the books, so was looking forward to the films.  Slightly disappointed is a short summary.  The books are packed with information and character interaction some of which has been sacrificed in order to keep the films to a manageable length.  Noomi Rapace went the extra mile and got the piercings to play the part and is very good at acting what she was given, but what appears on screen jars slightly with the mental image I built up when reading.  Enjoyable but not fantastic.

18/04/2011 at 11:20

Agree with you completely on Let The Right One In, Ferret.

Haven't seen tattoo.

18/04/2011 at 12:08
Thanks Parky, I'll check those out. Have seen In the Loop already and it's very funny and scary at the same time.

I saw District 9 a couple of weeks ago. Interesting take on the alien invasion theme. Lots of different references in there from War of the Worlds to The American Office (really). Nothing new to say about how we treat those we don't know or the under classes, but it makes it's points in a light pacy way. Thumbs up from me.

I've also worked my way through the Red Riding trilogy. Shocking take on the behaviour of the West Yorkshire Police through the 70s and early 80s and a series of child abductions and killings mixed in with a fictional take on the Yorkshire Ripper case. Very dark, very unpleasent yet compelling. However, if you've read the books, things don't work out quite as you think they might.

I've got The Prestige and Gone Baby Gone to watch next.
Edited: 18/04/2011 at 12:09
18/04/2011 at 12:48

I liked District 9
Red Riding - really, really good
The Prestige - I liked that too and also The Illusionist which was out at the same time and on a similar theme

19/04/2011 at 11:14
Really enjoyed The Prestige. Hadn't realised it's anothe Chritopher Nolan. It seems that man just can't go wrong. Nice set of twists which you're allowed to work out for yourselves too.

Nearly didn't watch it as my player didnt like the disc or Gone Baby Gone. Fortunately worked on a friend's so got to spend the evening with a mate and watch a great movie too. Not bad for a Monday night.
19/04/2011 at 13:27

I saw Limitless a few weeks ago. The premise of the plot was promising, but I was diasppointed with what was made of the special powers that the protagonist gained through taking the tablets. In addition, I had no real sympathy for the main character when he got himself into trouble. I'm trying to remember another movie, maybe with John Travolta, which also deals with special powers being attained, but due to a brain tumour.

I haven't decided yet which movie to watch next, there's always Film 4. I recently watching Kung Fu Hustle (for the zillionth time), this one really makes me laugh, and for those of you who are familiar with the film, I'm the landlady!

19/04/2011 at 13:35
I'm not big on chocky whatever it's called, but really like King Fu Hustle.  Really silly but great action
16/06/2011 at 13:11

Howdy Flicksters.

Got to the flicks last night to see Senna.  I like a good documentary me and this is a particularly good one.  

It tells the story of the great Ayrton Senna from his arrival in Europe as a go kart racer, to his progression into F1, his rivalry with Prost, his 3 world championships right up to (spoiler alert) his eventual demise at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994. 

The best documentaries take you on a journey where you know some of the stops and even the final destination, yet involve you enough to make you forget where you are going and allows you experience that journey again as if it's brand new.  The film is made entirely from archive footage, giving it a fresh feel.  There are a few voice overs but not a single talking head.  I don't think I've ever seen profile peice made like this and it is refreshing and engaging.

There is genuine tension in the racing and politics that dominate F1.  We get plenty of behind the scenes footage making this a fascinating film not only about one of the sports greatest protagonist but of the workings of F1 itself.

Tensions really rack up as we approach the San Marion GP of 94.  The whole weekend is handled extremely well and there is a genuine sense of peril.  It would be easy to make the events of that weekend ghoulish, a horror side show.  The fatal crashes are shown, but they aren't subject to constant slo-mo and analysis like we are used to seeing on a Sunday afternoon.  The less is more approach really works, having a big impact on the completely silent cinema audience.

The film is a great piece of work.  Lots in it for motor racing fans but it's more than that.  The film will satisfy anyone interested in what makes driven (excused the pun) people tick, and how an individual can inspire so many others.  A big thumbs up from me.

16/06/2011 at 13:20

Oooh goodie, I've got a ticket for this Friday.

A question for you film enthusiasts.  Local library was selling its DVDs off so I picked up a copy of Cloverfield.  Completely underwhelmed and perplexed.  Maybe it's because of too many hours playing first person shooter computer games (where I'm in control of 'camera angles') or just the fact that I didn't really care for the lead characters so didn't care what happened to them.  Is there any point in going back to watch Blair Witch project (as this seems to have been the start of this 'reportage' type of technique)?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.