seen any good flicks lately?

6,321 to 6,340 of 6,530 messages
10/01/2012 at 16:24

Agree Inter; I don't think I've seen anything so spectacularly crap and I only watched 20 mins to see what all the fuss was about.  What was Streep thinking of?

10/01/2012 at 16:40
An oscar maybe
10/01/2012 at 16:49
Red Squirrel. - she was thinking of Benjamin.
10/01/2012 at 19:52

The In-Betweeners Movie

Took kazillions at the box office and I can see why. Extremely coarse, rude and sexist (although there were some redemptive "teen learns to treat women as people rather than as erm, "clunge"*-type resolutions for the pc crowd.)

I watched it with my two lads and we all laughed like drains. Mrs B left the room as she felt the attitudes on screen were quite extreme - I felt they were fairly typical of 18 year old lads.

Started to run out of steam after an hour and the "pairing up" of the speccie one with the gorgeous blonde was highly unlikely but it definitely gave me a lot of laughs - the dance scene in the nightclub was priceless.

definitely 8.5/10 if judged as a no-brain comedy.

11/01/2012 at 10:29

Saw 'Anvil: The Story of Anvil' last night on DVD.  For those not familiar with it, it's a documentary about a Canadian heavy metal band who had minor success in the 80s but keep plodding on, working routine day jobs to fund their dream of maybe making it big again one day.  In many ways it's a buddy film, focussing on the complex and co-dependent relationship between the lead singer and drummer.  It's also about dreams, and the refusal to let them go despite no real promise of success.

But let's deal with the obvious point: it's Spinal Tap.  The band have had various line-up changes (but no exploding drummers).  They were once succesful, sharing the bill and paving the way for the heavyweights of 80s thrash metal.  They're not really very good.  They play to disappointingly small crowds in big venues.  They argue a lot.  They acquire a hopeless female manager who is attached to the guitarist.  Their music sounds uncannily like Tap.  They have inexplicable success in Japan.  The drummer is called Robb Reiner.  They argue a lot but love each other really.  They come out with statements of unbelievable yet believable stupidity.

All the above make it difficult to believe this is a real documentary and I think the Spinal Tap comparisons are played up to, deliberately setting out to confuse the viewer as to whether this a spoof.  Like Tap, it's very funny and yet has moments of deep poignancy.  I was reminded also of The Wrestler, in the protrayal of people whose best days were brief and long behind them but they just can't let go.  The ultimate triumph of this film is that, despite all their flaws (the quality of the music being the biggest one), you can't help but wish the band the success that eludes them for so long.

11/10

11/01/2012 at 12:02
Intermanaut wrote (see)
Red Squirrel. - she was thinking of Benjamin.

Who's Benjamin?
11/01/2012 at 12:23
Franklin.
11/01/2012 at 12:48

Soup Dragon - I'm off to see The Artist on Friday, I can't wait!

Saw the second Sherlock Holmes film the other day, really enjoyed it - a fun actioney film to watch over the xmas hols. I liked the nod to characters and plot devices in the Arthur Conan Doyle stories as well, the Reichenbach Falls incident and Colonel Moran.

11/01/2012 at 23:48
Private Benjamin?

I laughed myself hoarse at 'The In-betweeners' ... The missus thought it was tripe - liking it must be a bloke thing. (She laughs at stuff like Ab Fab and Vicar of Dibley - weirdo)

Not seen the 'Anvil' film - but it sounds interesting
12/01/2012 at 08:33

Corinth - at 70 minutes it's worth watching, without taking up too much of your life if you don't enjoy.  It's at the very least interesting in subverting the whole mockumentary genre and filming real subjects in a way that feels like it could well be fake.

12/01/2012 at 08:35
The inbetweeners was a quality film.  I'm clearly a girl with the mind of a teenage boy
12/01/2012 at 08:36

Last night we started watching Waltz With Bashir, but Mrs SVT declared after half an hour that she "wasn't into it", so I'm saving that for a night in by myself.  Instead we watched Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.  This has prompted me to start a list.  Feel free to add any other films you can think of, but I think this is pretty comprehensive:

Good films based on computer games:

12/01/2012 at 08:57
*whistles*
12/01/2012 at 09:15
Though, I've written a screenplay based upon the game 'Pong' and it's been passed back and forth between me and a major studio... and back and forth... and back... and forth... and back... and...

;-)
12/01/2012 at 09:18
There was also the one based on Pacman... but it didn't have any legs - and my Sonic the Hedgehog trilogy was spiked...
12/01/2012 at 09:37
My FIFA '12 screenplay was kicked into touch.
12/01/2012 at 09:43

My Call of Duty was shot down in flames...
12/01/2012 at 09:51
My Street Fighter script was... oh, somehow that one made it through. It really shouldn't have.
12/01/2012 at 10:09
Street Fighter? I'm surprised it wasn't a hit...

(Okay - I'll stop now).

Seriously, I can't think of a film based on a video game that even creeps into the mediocre category...
12/01/2012 at 10:49
Dead or Alive was rubbish, but Holly Valance was nekkid in it.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.