seen any good flicks lately?

6,401 to 6,420 of 6,533 messages
19/04/2012 at 08:06
it wasn't expecting it to be quite so funny/violent/odd
19/04/2012 at 09:18

Recent DVDs:

The Warrior and the Wolf - a film that does exactly what it says on the tin. There's some warriors, some wolves and some blurring of the lines between the two. A small hint of historical setting, a bit of fighting, repeated rape. If there's any message to this film it's that we're all just animals - but I'm really not convinced there was an attempt at a coherent message or plot. The sort of film that left me with nothing more to say than "anyway...".

Law Abiding Citizen - Gerard Butler isn't happy. His wife and daughter are killed and one of the guys all but gets away with it. Cue a quite well-plotted revenge campaign, with Jamie Foxx as the DA trying to deal with the fallout whilst questioning his actions in the original case.  I'm sure it woulnd't stand up to repeated viewings but there was a fairly engaging plot that didn't twist in a contrived way.

21/04/2012 at 08:48

hi svt - i really hated law abiding criminal.

Lockout is a giggle. it's a bog-standard premise. like The Rock but in space.

but quite unexpectedly, guy pearce is really genuinely funny in it. who'd have thought? and joseph gilgun a terrifying glaswegian villain.

21/04/2012 at 15:47

Hi Dude! How have you been??

I haven't been to the movies for ages, but one I really enjoyed was "Rio", I've seen it several times with different people, and I can recommend it for all ages. The sound track is brilliant.

21/04/2012 at 19:54

hello you im fine, been busy training for ultras!

i think ive seen Rio. parrots innit.

21/04/2012 at 21:40

Glad to hear it!

The hero is a blue parrot, the only one of his kind to exist...until the only girl blue parrot is found

25/04/2012 at 20:51

*waves*

I saw "The Hunger Games" in That London. 11 pound summat!

I liked it a bit but I couldn't follow WHY the kids had to kill each other? What were they supposed to gain? Couldn't they just have all refused to fight?

I actually liked the Hunger bit more than the Game bit, but I found the wacky Vivien Westwood costumes a bit flaming annoying.

7/10. It was this or Titanic 3D

25/04/2012 at 21:48
I saw Avatar recently. The story was ok. Mildly entertaining. But the special affects added little to it. Basically a mildly entertaining cartoon.
25/04/2012 at 23:26
£11 Good Grief!

26/04/2012 at 10:29

dude - interested in your views on Law Abiding Citizen, given that I can't summon up much in the way of strong feelings on it and have forgotten most of it already. Or amybe that's the problem.

Another couple of DVDs:

The Tournament - Battle Royale but with grown-up professional assassins, played out for money and gambling, in Mddlesbrough, with Robert Carlyle as a drunk priest caught up in the middle of it.  Cartoonish - disengage brain before watching and it's not too bad.

Aftershock - Chinese disaster melodrama, starting with an earthquake in the '70s which rips a family apart and following the effect on the surviving family members through to the recentish major Chinese earthquake.  The focus is not so much on the special effects and the usual who-makes-it-out-alive guessing game but on the human 'aftershock'.  I've noticed before that what I'd find over-emoted in an English language film is something I can accept much more in a subtitled film - possibly as I just don't know whether what is being portrayed is culturally accurate or not.

26/04/2012 at 10:36
its just butler. the man is an abomination.
26/04/2012 at 11:39
Anyone seen Salmon Fishing in the Yemen?
26/04/2012 at 11:48

dude - fair enough!

27/04/2012 at 09:20
Yes, I saw Salmon fishing in the Yemen last night, and enjoyed it. Kristin Scott Thomas was very amusing as the PM's PR lady. In fact all the performances were very good, although I found it very difficult to come to grips with Ewan Macgregor in an old man's cardi at the start of the film!
27/04/2012 at 10:07

Thanks Squawk.  I wouldn't struggle to get to grips with Ewan - old man's cardi or not!

Going to see it next Weds.

28/04/2012 at 09:33
I know what you mean . I'm sure you will enjoy the film, and the cardi doesn't last long!
02/05/2012 at 23:54

Saw Salmon Fishing.  Sweet little film and agree with Squawk - KST was great as the PM's press sec.  I loved the "you feel me" bit.

Ewan as ever, mouthwateringly everyday and lovely.  Liked the sexy Sheikh with the big nose too.

03/05/2012 at 18:09

went to see albert nobbs.

its about glenn close dressed up as meryl streep being a butler. in the film the people think she is a bloke which is odd because she looks really like a lady. the twist is that the butler makes the maid pregnant and she gives birth to a frog. or something like that.

pretty bad film.

03/05/2012 at 22:23

I just watched a preview.  Close looks like a reptile and has a bogus accent.  Looks like a bit of a non-event.

03/05/2012 at 22:38

Marvel Avengers Assemble

Known as "The Avengers" in the States. Presumably the title change for Britain is to avoid the possibility of people confusing this film with that Avengers abomination starring Irma Theakston and RALPH Fiennes a few years back. Easy mistake to make - I mean who listens to these media onslaughts and looks at the poster before paying to see a film these days. Sheesh.

Any road up. As a comics collector from the time when Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man (hyphen!) et al were in their pomp... although Black Widow and Hawkeye were always a bit pants...I am here to say i loved it. Some snappy dialogue and a few great jokes, including a zinger of a visual gag with Hulk, and at least a token effort to build some character behind the spandex. Best performances were Tom Hiddleston chewing the carpet and, surprisingly, Chris Evans. Mark Ruffalo also looked suitably haunted as Bruce banner. The one actor I can't get along with is RD Jnr, whose delivery is an affected mumble which I just can't decipher half the time. he is a good actor, but I despise him in Sherlock in particular, and in this one he bugged the crap out of me as well.

Lots of whizz-bangs and the budget is all there up on the screen.

Go to cinema, sit back and enjoy.

9/10

6,401 to 6,420 of 6,533 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.