seen any good flicks lately?

61 to 80 of 6,530 messages
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
16/02/2006 at 11:00
Was impressed with the FX in Chronicles of Narnia. And that ice queen purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
16/02/2006 at 11:01
I liked the BBC version.
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
16/02/2006 at 11:11
Didnt see that one, hence the reason I went to see this one as some said it was very good.
16/02/2006 at 11:13
NIcko-did they cast Clarence the Lion from Daktari as Aslan? Haven't seen it yet :(
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
16/02/2006 at 11:14
No this one wasnt X eyed hehehehehehehe
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
16/02/2006 at 11:15
Anyway thought Clarence died yrs ago ?
16/02/2006 at 11:24
I was just kidding! I liked Clarence. And Judy the chimp, etc.
16/02/2006 at 11:58
Chronicles of Narnia was awful.

I don't even think the FX's were that great compared to LOTR 1,2,3.

Saying that, I hated the books even as a ten year old so perhaps I viewed the movie with extreme prejudice.

Why did I think it was awful?

Twee to the point of vomit inducing

Really bad casting (Ice Queen excepted and perhaps the youngest kid)

Over indulgent sentimentality... The Aslan resurrection... oh for 'Christ's' sake!

Crap battle scenes...

Overlong by about 30 minutes

Okay for under twelve’s... but beyond that, total rubbish …and I'm being kind
16/02/2006 at 18:30
aslan looked like a computer generated lion.

i enjoyed it but it was blandtastic.

unlike Lord of the Rings, where peter jackson used sweeping landscape shots to give a real depth to the world of middle earth, we don't get this in Narnia.

it seemed like a forest, a field and a castle and had no other-worldy quality.

So not really much worth bothering about. and thus, i didn't.

tilda swinton was gr8 as always but aside from that,,,

16/02/2006 at 18:41
The BBC version seemed to bring the book to life more (although if you never liked the book you wouldn't like either adaptation).

I'm afraid that it was bound to suffer by comparison to LOTR. I read the Chronicles of Narnia and LOTR when I was a fairly young kid. On re-reading both, it's clear that the CofN are kids books, so it was bound to be largely a kids film. Perhaps I liked the BBC version better because the effects were rubbish in comparison, so it focussed on the story. And because I was younger when I saw it. And because that Peter Jackson fella hadn't come along and raised the bar for all fantasy films to a ridiculous height.

Nice song at the end by Imogen Heap though.
16/02/2006 at 18:46
yep the beeb version was good.

and yes, LOTR has raised the bar.
16/02/2006 at 18:58
American Psycho. An odd, blackly funny film.
16/02/2006 at 19:14
:D

How about the sequel, "American Psycho II: All American Girl" (2002)

"Patrick's gone and a girl that survived him is now killing everyone so she can be a college professor's assistant".

Typical- because she's a girl they won't let her become professor, but rather settle with the assistant's post. Decidedly patchy.

Sadly, although thought-provoking, neither have the tacky appeal of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"...
16/02/2006 at 19:32
oooh oooooh i watched that.

by mistake, i must add.

bizarretastic, as it had almost nothing to do with the original.
16/02/2006 at 19:34
Just had a look on IMDB and AP2 looks a bit poo. Even has The Shat.
16/02/2006 at 19:48
Alright, I admit it, a gap in my education:
Actually I've seen neither of the AP, or even read the book :(
"The Shat"? Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Sounds pants to me :o

<============exit, stage left: dinna time!
16/02/2006 at 20:05
AP issno bad, although a little tame next to the book.

16/02/2006 at 20:44
I collect movie score CD's and must admit that The Chronicles of Narnia is a quite good listen.

My favourite at the moment is 'Black Hawk Down'... thpough 'Lost in Translation' runs a close second
16/02/2006 at 20:51
cannot wait to get the harry potter goblet of fire score, just to see if jarvis cocker is on it.

i have the chamber of secrets but only listen in the background when i am reading the books.

the Napoleon Dynamite score is fantastic.

Far-out elevator music would be the best way to describe it.
16/02/2006 at 22:07
16/02/06 - Chicken Little.

plot overview—boy cries wolf scenario, dad/son relationship stuff.

Quite literally alone in the theatre, i sat down to enjoy one of the most enjoyable kids flicks of the year.

Not phenomenally original and prone to spells of overwhelming schmaltz, this animated film is nonetheless impossible not to love and contains numerous laugh-out loud moments.

CL himself was a sympathetic and likeable character and, although his love interest and sidekick Abby the ugly duck (the unbearably wonderful Joan Cusack) was a rip-off of Dory from Finding Nemo, she was funny they played off each other beautifully.

While runt was annoying, the other pheripheral characters, particularly the exuberant Fish-out-of-water, were great.

good for kids 6/10.
61 to 80 of 6,530 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.