Semanya - man or woman?

201 to 216 of 216 messages
24/08/2009 at 16:50
"Oh, the hilarity."

and Oh, the sadness of not only reading, but posting on a thread you think is so unworthy.

24/08/2009 at 17:27
Jj wrote (see)
"Oh, the hilarity." and Oh, the sadness of not only reading, but posting on a thread you think is so unworthy.

And Oh, the even greater sadness of bothering to post a reply to my sad post.....

This could run on, but it could just get too sad all round.

25/08/2009 at 16:12
from the BBC

Tests have revealed Caster Semenya's testosterone level to be three times higher than those normally expected in a female sample, BBC Sport understands.

An analysis of Semenya's testosterone levels was carried out in South Africa and it is understood that this information contributed to the IAAF's decision to request the ASA carry out a detailed "gender verification" test on the athlete.

Those medical tests are said to be ongoing, with the results not expected for several weeks.
25/08/2009 at 16:15

Could we not just see if Coops would shag her ?

If he would it's a woman

if he wouldn't it's a bloke

and if he had to think about it it's DM

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/08/2009 at 16:23
but he still might?
26/08/2009 at 14:51
an interesting take on the story....

26/08/2009 at 15:27
Wow .........I've got to find a new forum! Hilarious
26/08/2009 at 16:11
I thought you'd like that site ZZ....

I dip in from time to time for a laugh
JPenno    pirate
10/09/2009 at 21:53
10/09/2009 at 22:55

dont comment much on here - but the iaaf changed its rules on this a few years back -

Basically if she is ( and i use she as thats what she has been brought up as) unfortunately or fortunately one of of percentage of folk that have both female and male hormones, then if she has spent her life as a female the they will look upon them as a female and would allow them to represent there country etc etc.

However this is all speculation through the press and until Iaaf make a ruling then I congratulate her on winning the 800m

10/09/2009 at 23:37
PloddingOn wrote (see)

I think it's sad and appauling that people can't just allow someone to be great!

Bolt is on drugs because he is a bloke, so the only explanation for a female is to be a hermaphrodite

Twats

Mmmm......I'm pretty glad you're not in charge of the IAAF PO!

3X testosterone levels and internal testes. The South African athletics board should get a massive fine for this. Total incompetence. They have thrust an 18yr old 'girl' into the world media for their own gratification.

Normal 18yr old girls don't look like Semanya and they definitely don't run as fast! I'm sure within a few weeks everything will be out in the open.

All the others that said this was a disgrace testing Semanya, should hang their heads in shame. Athletics cannot prosper if genetic abnormalities are allowed to compete, just because it is a sensitive matter.

Well done the IAAF. Congrats to Jenny Meadows, you will be collecting a silver medal, and so close you were, to getting gold.

pirate
11/09/2009 at 07:41
I'm wondering how South African is now going to respond to this. The blame certainly lies with South Athletics board, no doubt, they had warnings that thsi was gong to happen and stil they sent her to Berlin. Shame on them really.
12/09/2009 at 22:39
Can I put in a point of view I think is going to get some pretty fierce argument here?

South Africa as a country has some seriously screwed attitudes around sex and sexuality - you are talking about the country which has finally got rid of it's president who was denying HIV/AIDS was a sexually transmitted disease.

From what I have read, Semanya is from a rural area of South Africa - and the chances of her having had more than cursory medical care (vaccinations etc) is highly unlikely. Intersex individuals ARE more frequent in the Southern African communities, but even in the UK approximately 1 in 1000 births will require that some simple examinations are made to work out the actual sex of the infant - but if it was a traditional midwife delivery for Semanya, then this would probably never have been even considered.

In addition, she could have "just appeared" on the SA athletics scene - given a simple time series where she made a local win, then a regional win with a national coaching representative present, she could well have gone on to the world championships in less than a year...we are talking about a country with much less organisation and structure than most european countries.

I still think the IAAF messed up by broadcasting their doubts to the world. SAA officials perhaps SHOULD have suspected the possibility of intersex, but it would be interesting to know what kind of medical expertise their advisors have - after all, there is clearly a LOT of ignorance out there about intersex individuals, as shown up by the various reactions to the news about her.

12/09/2009 at 23:24
I think its all a bit of a shame. No idea what the why's and wherefore's are re whether she should be stopped from running, but she's only 18 and it must be pretty horrible to be the subject of all this. This sort of thing is a complete genetic lottery and there but for the grace of God...
18/09/2009 at 22:38

Looks as if the ASA weren't innocent in all this...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/article6840356.ece

"South Africa’s athletics authority carried out gender tests on the runner Caster Semenya before she travelled to Berlin last month, finding that she had internal testes but covering up the findings.

According to e-mail exchanges published today officials at Athletics South Africa (ASA) were aware that a Pretoria clinic had found that Ms Semenya had internal testes and produced abnormal amounts of testosterone for a woman."

Can't wait for the excuses

pirate
20/09/2009 at 21:09
looks like head of SA athletics is gonna resign.....awful that they knew ahead of Berlin!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 216 of 216 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.