Sheffield social

Anyone up for it?

33,781 to 33,800 of 34,178 messages
08/07/2013 at 11:50

Well done everyone for surviving the heat, we had to shift afternoon dog walks to the evenings, which in turn meant that we were at a friends with them until late on saturday and ruined our plan to get up and run around Derwent and be back before 8 ish when it would be warming up and the fairweather tourists start thinking of filling up the paths

We've decided to attack it tonight after eating, so it should be pretty quiet up there, and my oh can use her Tuesday pilates to stretch out any muscles (it'll only be her 3rd time running over 10 miles)

08/07/2013 at 15:10

Well ran baz allways nice to get a pb

enjoy the run around derwent ben looks like a nice evening for it

08/07/2013 at 20:25
Some good fell racing this weekend.

1st off is the triple chase challenge
Sat - thurlstone chase, 4mile £4
Sun- broomhead chase, 3.5mile £4.50
Mon - trunce 6, 3.5mile £1.25

Do one do three. Your choice

Then there is the Holme moss, 16miles 4261ft of climb £6.50
08/07/2013 at 21:03

Evening all. Well done to all who raced or ran in the heat. It was certainly a scorcher and we clocked 32 degrees at Coniston during the race. I only planned to run at MP but revised this after 3 miles of heat and hills as no way could I keep up that pace. So I settled in and decided to enjoy the run. The scenery was stunning and I stopped on a couple of occasions to take it in. Some of the hills felt really tough with the heat and the terrain. The course measured 14.3 miles which didn't do me any favours when I thought I was starting the last mile. Jumped in the lake afterwards to cool down which was marvellous. Finishing time of 2:17 which put me 77 out 151. A really great race and would recommend it to anyone. I took the missus and we made a weekend out of it. Brilliant it was

09/07/2013 at 08:47

carter - well done, sounds like a cracking race and a great weekend.

nice set of races to choose from GIRO Holme Moss is a great event.I did it the year of the great floods  so the peat bogs were interesting. Great sarnies and cakes at the end.

09/07/2013 at 17:41

Evening!

Well done carter. Takes a lot of discipline to not get into racing at a race and sounds like you had a cracking weekend.

Sorry to hear that GI. It would do my head in, and has done before, ie my `PB` at Lord Mayor`s a year or two ago. Mind you, having done 4 speed sessions in 3 days you were always likely to be short - ? What`s the crack with the Thurlstone Race? Is there a Show there / something to keep family busy?

Good work Baz.

I was disappointed with the way I ran on Sunday and was still feeling the effects yesterday (way tired). That said, I was well chuffed to see I finished 52nd. Entries were down but, even taking that into account that was a lot better for me. I guess lots of folk`s times were down and maybe I fared ok relatively.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 18:13
09/07/2013 at 23:34

ET I suppose it just shows you cant take your run in issolation but need to see how the rest of the field got on. More important to do this when the weather etc as an impact.

Not good about the distance Giro especially if you get a PB, wasnt Hull marathon short a year or two ago what a nightmare if you PB

4.88 today felt like i could have gone further so pleased

10/07/2013 at 07:26

The time is an official PB on a measured 10k course. On my Powerof10 & runbritain athlete profiles they will show it as my PB.  

I Know its not.  Looks good on paper tho. 

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 07:27
10/07/2013 at 08:00

morning all

bit like my false 5k pb when the time from endcliffe parkrun was faster than i actually ran by about 20secs (even without the bonus time I had recorded a good pb that day).

anyone racing at the weekend?

10/07/2013 at 08:42

GIRO - well done on the 'PB' at the weekend. are you running all 3 fell races this weekend ?

Riggsy - some good, steady running from you. Have you been out injured recently ? I'm running the 12.12 event at Whirlow farm on Sunday I think

Ben - Derwent is a nice run. Did you do 1, 2 or all 3 reservoirs ?

ET - well done on the Spitfire, sounds like a tough course. Like Riggsy says, you may have been disappointed but when you compare it to the other racers times you havent done badly at all.

9.5 miles for me last night at MP pace of 8:30. They are resurfacing Abbeydale Road at the moment so I did most of my miles on a nice, flat road that was closed to traffic. I have a LT run planned for lunchtime today so glad to see it's cooled down a bit today

10/07/2013 at 09:11

Carterusm, i fancied the Holme moss but getting there and somehow catching a summer cold means it might be a no go.

would like to do both Thurlstone & Broomhead but only way i could get to thurlstone would be a 7mile cycle ride which wouldnt be a problem. Work hrs means i cant make the Trunce, but if i do both thurlstone & broomhead i may do a deal with work to finish an hr early. I may just end up doing broomhead.

well done on the MP run  

10/07/2013 at 12:21

carterusm - Just did the top two for now, and then the oh wants to do the 3 sometime in August before i drag her aroudn the Ladybower 20 in september

Not doing a lot else this week, going out for leaving drinks on Thursday, and when i get home I'm going to go for a test run in costume under the cover of darkness to iron out any potential issues before i attempt to wear it on Saturday in the british 10k, I don't really fancy running around london with a bit split in the bum of it or something and looking (even more) like a tit

10/07/2013 at 16:45

Carterusm, been out of running since around October/November last year, now go the go ahead to run again so trying to get some fitness back. Sounds like you are getting some good training in ready for your marathon.

Giro enjoy which ever race you get to. Holme Moss is a great event and if I can stay fit etc will be on my list for next year.

Good luck with the test run tonight Ben.

Racing wise I think this weekend will find me at Hillsborough parkrun on Saturday. On nights from now till Tuesday so not much time for anything else

Just over 3 miles this afternoon, cooler but humid.

10/07/2013 at 16:54

Good running Riggsy , Ben and carter. Still waiting for a proper race report from carter. Been to Coniston a fair few times and that must be a special race?!

10/07/2013 at 17:42

We travelled up to the lakes on Saturday morning and it got off to a promising start by not getting lost. We were staying above a pub a couple of miles outside Coniston in the middle of nowhere. It was a nice old place and the food was great. I went to register in the afternoon and it all went very smoothly. The weather was lovely so we opted to sit outside a pub for a couple of shandies, had some food then a couple more shandies. My preperation wasnt ideal as I have been greedy for a couple of weeks and been drinking to many beers. That needs so improve with my training stepping up from this week.

The start line was on the banks of the lake and the scenery was stunning and the weather gorgeous. There was marathon challange and race and half marathon challenge and race and they all started off at hour intervals with my race off at 11. I wasn't feeling particularly good so I decided I would run at marathon pace; it didnt take me too long to realise it wasn't going to be that fast. Thre first mile was heading away from the lake, through the village and off on to the first trail. Then it was undulating for the next two miles but definitely going up rather than down. I was pushing quite hard and the splits were 8:41, 9:21 and 8:35. Not bad at all but I knew there was more climbing to come and no way I would be able to maintain that pace. The first drinks station was at the top of a rocky trail and I passed quite a few people who were already walking. And then the climbing began. And then the walking began too. It was stifling in places, red hot for most of the time and the heat was bouncing back of the ground. To say we were on trails there wasn't as much shade as I was expecting. Knowing I was only running this for fun I stopped on a couple of occassions to take in the views and the only word that springs to mind is breathtaking. There were lots of stunning properties that had amazing views over the lakes and mountains. It would be a runners paradise if you lived up there. Anyway, it was a strange race as I spent many periods running on my own for the first few miles and on a couple of occassions I wondered if I had taken a wrong turning. There were some real steep climbs too, not very long maybe 300 yards long, but nobody ran all the way up. The terrain was rocky in places and my feet were starting to burn. I got to the aid station at about 6.5 miles where I took on a hydration drink of some sort when I wanted plain water and I had some kendal mint cake which was bloody awful. Fortunately, neither of them made me feel badly. Mile 4 - 6 splits were 10:38, 9:41 and 9:39. The next two miles were really tough, mainly due to the heat, and I ran them at 10:47 and 10:24. About here I joined a group of a few others and it seemed like we were forever overtaking each other, stopping to walk, they would overtake you and it was like this to the end of the race. Then we ran around another, smaller lake and half way round there was a fork in the road where the marshall asked me if I had already run a lap of the lake and when I told him I had not he kindly informed me that I would need to. This was a bit of a blow as I thought we were heading for home but on I went around the lake again.

We then, thankfully, went into the woods so got some restbite from the sun. Here we began our decent; basically, in the distance we were running uphill in the first 9 miles we descencded in 2. This battered my knees so I went fairly slowly down and was passed by a few people at this stage but there were plenty of other runners/walkwers on the course doing the half marathon challenge. These 2 miles were knocked off at 10:15 and 9:42.

It was all flat for the last 2 miles and on easier trails so I stepped the pace up a bit. I felt I was running at marathon pace and although it was hard I also felt fairly comfortable

&nbs

10/07/2013 at 17:43

The last 2 miles were run at 8:37 and 8:26. However, when my Garmin beeped the 13 miles mark I thought we looked more than 170 yards aeay from the finish line. I find that when I know how far I've got to go I start thinking about it and can pace myself in to the end. So this was a bit of a blow but I carried on regardless. We then entered the field where the finishing line was and another kick in the teeth was that we had to run around the parimeter of the field and not straight  to the finish line as I was expecting. Anyhow, there was decent crowd there clapping everyone home so it felt really good when the announcer read my name and number out as I crossed the line, feeling quite emotional if I'm honest. I picked up my goody bag and tee short and proceeded to drink a copious amount of water. Mrs C came over to me and she was nearly in tears as well and told me how proud she was and the such like. This did take me back a bit as she hasnt really been that interested about my running. It must be the sun getting to her I thought. I then went for a paddle in the lake to cool down a bit and my feet and legs really seemed to appreciate this. It has got me thinking whether a cold bath after a run might be beneficial after all. Today I havent felt aching or stiff at all. So, we sat in the sun for an hour and then I heard the name of another forumite so I went over and introduced myself and we had a bit of a chat (for those of you who listen to the British Trail Runner podcast it was Alistair 'Archi' Stewart - for those of you who dont this wont mean anything to you !). So, I finished in 77th position out of 151 in this event.

My overall thoughs of this race were that it is in an absolutely cracking location, very well organised, the marshalls were brilliant and the enteratinment and facilities on the start/finish line were top class. I would highly recommend this event to anyone, I am looking to do this again next year for definite.

Mrs C and I then went into Coniston and sat outside a pub with a couple of beers. We then went back to our lodgings and sat outside for a couple more. It was at this moment that Mrs C made an astonishing comment. She said she had really enjoyed being at the race, was impressed with what I had done, to the point where she was jealouse and made the remarkable statement that she wanted to run a race like this herself. I was quite speechless for a while with this revelation. So, we have agreed to enter the half marathon challenge (cut off time of 3.5 hours rather than the 2.5 hours for the race).

10/07/2013 at 17:45

For those interested, here is my run from Sunday - http://app.strava.com/activities/65589333

Poetry in motion....

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/633987/gallery/coniston_2.jpg?width=350

10/07/2013 at 18:59

Good work and great pic!

11/07/2013 at 17:02

great report, sounds like a great race. Nice pic as well.

12/07/2013 at 19:16

Right, decided

Saturday

Event directing at hillsborough parkrun then cycle stocksbridge to Thurlstone, Thurlestone chase then cycle home to stocksbridge

Sunday

broomhead chase

Monday

Work then decide if I feel like doing the trunce

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.