Sheffield social

Anyone up for it?

33,781 to 33,800 of 34,102 messages
05/07/2013 at 19:54

16 miles of pure hell for me today. The heat was quite intense, I was struggling to breath, my feet were on fire, I lost my tape so was struggling with chafing. Basically, it was a bloody hard day and I really struggled

05/07/2013 at 21:11

Carter - what time did you go out? I ran home between 4 and 5 and it was warm but with enough of a breeze to make it ok.

05/07/2013 at 21:25

Baz - I was out about 3:30 and was up Ringinglow 

06/07/2013 at 11:18

Good work carter. That`s one of those tough ones that will get you the target you want. Lots of response on that dog thread eh?

Still planning on doing Spire but concerned about the temperature. Not intending to race it though so we`ll see.

Edited: 06/07/2013 at 11:19
06/07/2013 at 11:30

Good run carter like ET said its the tough ones where nowt feels right that really count

enjoy the spire if you go ET

Hillsborough parkrun this morning  first time running not taking pics. Target time was 26 -28 managed around 26 so pleased with it.

07/07/2013 at 08:56

morning

good luck to anyone racing this mornng or doing a long run

07/07/2013 at 13:15

Afnoon!

Back from Spire 10. It was TOUGH.

Race Report 7/7/2013

Didn`t have any solid goals as I didn`t know how I`d feel. Vague ideas of beating time from 2010 which was 78.## or at least being under 80 or, if I felt good, get a decent time. Obviously it was very hot and I can`t pretend to be good in the heat but who knows? Also was planning just to plod it but it`s tricky to `take it easy` when the course is so hilly.

First mile was 8.15 then an 8.00 so good start climbing. Saw Moz and those Tangerine kids on bikes. Then the bigger hills and I reached hallway in 40.45 and had overtaken lots of runners and only been passed by 1 bloke. Then it`s down for 3.5 miles. Started to feel a bit `flat` and hot but got some quick miles in there around 7`s. Feeling it though and was passed by a couple of runners I had passed earlier. Started to lose it from 7-8 and time was slipping away. Then the last mile and a half climb was painful. Really struggled. One or two runners passed me but surprised it wasn`t more. Overtook a Rotherham runner who was walking but he passed me in the last 200m.

Very glad to finish. Welcome beer. SO HOT. Clock was 80.## which I was disappointed with but it makes no odds really. One of the very hottest races I have done. 27 degrees allegedly. I do like NDRC events though.

Hope there was plenty of shade in Coniston for carter!

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 17:01
07/07/2013 at 23:26

sounds like a tough run ET. Hills and heat are not a good mix. 

We will just get used to the heat then it will be back to the normal weather.

Just the 3 for me today. Legs a little tired after the parkrun but no aches and pains

08/07/2013 at 07:16

36:58 for me at brinsworth 10k.

New 10k PB? Yay

Sub 37min ? Yay

But all is not as it seems. Because the course is measured on the road & because you spend most of the time on the pavement/cycle path you only really run 5.9miles.  

Will do a full report later but in short

Started with a fast 5:45mile but 4 speed sessions in 3days mon -wed & hill technique training on Thursday combined with the heat & hills meant I just couldnt maintain the pace. Hilliest mile was 6.34min. Uphill start & uphill finish

08/07/2013 at 08:35

still a great run after a hard week giro

08/07/2013 at 10:14

Nice one with the parkrun Riggsy. Always nice to get the first one back done.

ET and GIRO. Good running in the heat.

GIRO are they allowed to measure a course on the footpath/cycle path? I know it's road running but if the road isn't closed then people will be on the path.

I did a 7K race yesterday starting at the nice cool time of 11am. Ended up with 35.49 which I was happy with. Went out too quick so faded a bit on the second lap but it's all progress and it's a PB

08/07/2013 at 11:30

The road isnt closed but is very quiet and well marshalled. You are supposed to run on the road but you take the shortest racing line you can find which is in a lot of the course the pavements.  its a nice small race as part of the brinsworth show and UKA  wont put their name to it but has an official measured course certificate

08/07/2013 at 11:50

Well done everyone for surviving the heat, we had to shift afternoon dog walks to the evenings, which in turn meant that we were at a friends with them until late on saturday and ruined our plan to get up and run around Derwent and be back before 8 ish when it would be warming up and the fairweather tourists start thinking of filling up the paths

We've decided to attack it tonight after eating, so it should be pretty quiet up there, and my oh can use her Tuesday pilates to stretch out any muscles (it'll only be her 3rd time running over 10 miles)

08/07/2013 at 15:10

Well ran baz allways nice to get a pb

enjoy the run around derwent ben looks like a nice evening for it

08/07/2013 at 20:25
Some good fell racing this weekend.

1st off is the triple chase challenge
Sat - thurlstone chase, 4mile £4
Sun- broomhead chase, 3.5mile £4.50
Mon - trunce 6, 3.5mile £1.25

Do one do three. Your choice

Then there is the Holme moss, 16miles 4261ft of climb £6.50
08/07/2013 at 21:03

Evening all. Well done to all who raced or ran in the heat. It was certainly a scorcher and we clocked 32 degrees at Coniston during the race. I only planned to run at MP but revised this after 3 miles of heat and hills as no way could I keep up that pace. So I settled in and decided to enjoy the run. The scenery was stunning and I stopped on a couple of occasions to take it in. Some of the hills felt really tough with the heat and the terrain. The course measured 14.3 miles which didn't do me any favours when I thought I was starting the last mile. Jumped in the lake afterwards to cool down which was marvellous. Finishing time of 2:17 which put me 77 out 151. A really great race and would recommend it to anyone. I took the missus and we made a weekend out of it. Brilliant it was

09/07/2013 at 08:47

carter - well done, sounds like a cracking race and a great weekend.

nice set of races to choose from GIRO Holme Moss is a great event.I did it the year of the great floods  so the peat bogs were interesting. Great sarnies and cakes at the end.

09/07/2013 at 17:41

Evening!

Well done carter. Takes a lot of discipline to not get into racing at a race and sounds like you had a cracking weekend.

Sorry to hear that GI. It would do my head in, and has done before, ie my `PB` at Lord Mayor`s a year or two ago. Mind you, having done 4 speed sessions in 3 days you were always likely to be short - ? What`s the crack with the Thurlstone Race? Is there a Show there / something to keep family busy?

Good work Baz.

I was disappointed with the way I ran on Sunday and was still feeling the effects yesterday (way tired). That said, I was well chuffed to see I finished 52nd. Entries were down but, even taking that into account that was a lot better for me. I guess lots of folk`s times were down and maybe I fared ok relatively.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 18:13
09/07/2013 at 23:34

ET I suppose it just shows you cant take your run in issolation but need to see how the rest of the field got on. More important to do this when the weather etc as an impact.

Not good about the distance Giro especially if you get a PB, wasnt Hull marathon short a year or two ago what a nightmare if you PB

4.88 today felt like i could have gone further so pleased

10/07/2013 at 07:26

The time is an official PB on a measured 10k course. On my Powerof10 & runbritain athlete profiles they will show it as my PB.  

I Know its not.  Looks good on paper tho. 

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 07:27
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.