Sheffield social

Anyone up for it?

33,821 to 33,840 of 34,101 messages
16/07/2013 at 00:13

nights all weekend but managed hillsborough parkrun on sat set off with the aim of keeping a constant pace. 8 min mile for nearly first 2 miles then felt a slight pain in left calf.Slowed a little to finish in 24:40, 67 secs quicker than week before.

came home sunday morning and after a power nap ( fell asleep on sofa) managed 6 miles with no problems.

plan for tuesday 6 or so in the peaks around burbage edge higger tor area

16/07/2013 at 09:14

Riggsy - good progress with your running.

ET - my plan does have an easy week every 3rd week. The problem is that, because of my ITB, I havent yet acheived any of the weekly mileage targets in the first 6 weeks. So I am a bit reluctant, although I know I should have an easier week, but I do actually feel quite strong and fit, it's just the knee giving me some grief now and again

16/07/2013 at 09:16

That said, I have just strapped my knee up and done 10 @ MP pace 8:29 before work. No knee pain........

16/07/2013 at 10:06

Carter,  hope the knee holds up. 

Your doing well Riggsy on your comeback. 

Hoping to run the half tour of Bradwell (15.5miles) on the 10th August but that means I really do need to find a run director for that day to cover me at hillsborough parkrun. Actually keep looking at the full distance (31 Mile) long tour. not sure I could actually make it that far but most of you guys know thats never stopped me from trying.  Usually with disastrous consequences.  

16/07/2013 at 14:03

Carter 10 miles at MP with a dodgy knee??? Not something I would have done so I hope your knee doesn't grumble later. Are you worried about missing the total mileage for the week or key sessions?

Nice one Riggsy. You always managed to build up your fitness pretty quickly so I'm sure you'll be back around 20 mins in no time.

GIRO what's the hill technique?

ET what's next? Did you decide on doing Nottingham?

Now that the story about Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell has come out I can't help but wonder if there really is anyone who can actually compete without taking drugs.

16/07/2013 at 15:01

not a secret really baz

uphill - slight lean forward, short steps on your forefoot at around 165-180 bpm and using your arms for momentum to power your legs.  Just keep stepping, walking will put too much strain on your legs meaning no power at the top of the hill which I saw plenty of people do while I hit the top and was able to run hathrown the flatter ground: I used to suffer at the trunce on the top fields because of walking up the quarry hill. Worked on my hill technique this year. Should come in useful. 

Downhill - lean slightly back, short fast steps and relaxed arms & shoulders. I already did this but did have a tendency to over stride sometimes resulting in tired quads at the bottom of hills. 

16/07/2013 at 17:06

Giro since when has not been surr you can do something stopped you from doing it. Not becoming sensible in your old age are younice run carter hope the knee is ok

8 miles in peaks this morning over 1000ft of climbiing.Longest run so far, most climbing and first on the fells.Hard work at times especially  as it  gott warmer walked the final parts of the climbs onto higger and carl walk using this as a chance to take on water. Showyyd me the fell legs need some work so planning to do my weekly long run

16/07/2013 at 19:29

Evenin!

Good running Riggsy. I`m off next week so shout up if you fancy a plod.

Hope knee is ok Carter. Early doors is the way to go at the moment.

I was at DVS today for stuff so did an interval session in the midday heat which was great. I was alone on the track and did 5 x 1k @4.08, 4.13, 4.09, 4.08, 3.55 plus a mile warm up and the same to `cool` down. Reyt enjoyed it.

I`m now planning to do Nottingham Marathon Baz and Riggsy. Not entered yet but will do when I am back into the LDRs. Also want to do Belper 30k as a long run in August too. Really need to sit down and plan properly. Feel like I ought to do some gym stuff in prep. Haven`t been for months but who wants to in this weather, eh?

16/07/2013 at 21:32

Baz - it's the weekly mileage that I need to increase if possible especially the long runs. I'm not doing speed sessions at the moment while trying to build up my base mileage. The knee is ok at the moment so rest day tomorrow. 

GIRO - I thought you were meant to lean forwards when running downhill ?

Riggsy - good run up there, I bet it was pretty hot ? What time were you up there ?

ET - good speed session. I hear that belper is a tricky route, have you run it before ?

16/07/2013 at 22:22

Yeah you are Carterusm. Thats what you get not concentrating and typing.  

17/07/2013 at 16:46

ET will have to arrange something. Be nice to have some company. Nice session at DVS.

carter i got back to fox house around 1130 temp then was 27/28 very little breeze even on the top. The section through the woods at padley was nice and cool

17/07/2013 at 18:35

Another Sports Day at Don Valley done. Went well. What a waste knocking it down is.

I`m hoping to get over to DVS again next week for some speed work. If anyone fancies it and is free during a day-time, let me know. Also hoping to watching the cycling which I think is in town next Wednesday.

carter - not done Belper before. Folk say that is at least the equivalent to a 20 mile run. It`s hilly but doesn`t require proper navigation which I CBA with.

I enjoy hills. I usually feel pretty confident on them gaining places up and down normally but I do find I really have to focus on running off the hill i.e. keeping the effort up when it flattens out rather than, `phew, that`s done` and ease off. Similar to you GI, I find that I have to concentrate so as not to overstride coming down but my body usually tells me if I`m going wrong.

18/07/2013 at 10:49

Is (was) Don Valley used a lot for school sports days?

Hills for me last night. Four reps (two mins) up the hill with about 2:15 recovery. Felt pretty good even in the heat.

ET - I'll keep an eye out for you in Nottingham. I'm not completely sure what I'm going to be targetting yet but I'm hoping it will come out below 1:50.

I wonder if Iron Blade has been in touch with any of the tri clubs yet given that we couldn't really help him.

19/07/2013 at 00:01

Evening chaps. A planned 20 miler this morning ended up with me doing 15 before the heat got the better of me. I've decided I perform better in the winter rather than the summer. As lovely as the weather is I don't find it conducive for running longish distances. I'm going up in the peaks on my bike in the morning then will settle down and watch le tour. Saturday im running the mickledon straddle route (I think that's what it's called) which starts at Langsett reservoir and heads to ladybower across the trails before heading back. 

Hope you're all keeping cool

19/07/2013 at 06:39

Its a tough route Carter.  That's my training ground for hard fell being from stocksbridge.  Some of it is brutal with very little cover from the elements.  

Good session Baz  

Had a fairly easy week after last weekend with 3 whole days off any kind of training but came back with a bang with a hill interval session in don Valley bowl. Basically long rep of from the steps of ice Sheffield, around the path, up past the crucible on the hill keeping working down the hill, recover at the bottom till the paths meet then power across the grass field and up the steep grass banking to the crucible and fly bsck down the banking ala fell stylee and recover back to the steps x 5. It was very hot and no air but a good session.  

Then second run of the day was a 4.5mile commute run from work to middlewood.  Was supposed to be easy paced but ave 7.15min mile says I failed in that.  Probably running the hillsborough parkrun Saturday with sub 18 again the aim.

19/07/2013 at 08:01

Morning

Some good training going on making me feel rather lazy as I havn't ran since Tuesday, was planning on running yesterday but getting up later than planned after nights, going to watch the youngest in a play at school and then having to much to eat when we got back stopped that. Hopefully get out for a run this afternoon after taking the middle child back to leeds.

Giro might be at parkrun in the morning depending on how I feel after work.

ET I am planning on going to the cycle racing in town on wednesday with the camera to get some practice in before Le Tour next year. I was always told that when doing hills reps to keep going for a bit over the top of the hill so that you don't get into a mindset of stopping/slowing at the top of the hill.

Enjoy your run Carter sounds like a great route.

Crowden Horseshoe fell race on Saturday a great race that I would be going to if I wasn't on nights (11am start for race is to late especially after first night shift) but a really good route, challanging and tecnicall in places with a mad descent near the end http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=2727

Edited: 19/07/2013 at 08:12
19/07/2013 at 16:22

Managed to get out for a very hot and sweaty 4 miles nearly all off road, legs ached a little at first probally from tuesdays run. Got into a rythm of steadily faster miles until just over 3.5 miles when the path I was following along side a field of rape seed became unrunable due to the height of the rape seed. Legs a bit scratched but can't complain as it is not a reconigsed path but one that most of the year is used by dog walkers etc.

Still deciding about parkrun in morning as I don't want to over do it at this stage.

Now trying to follow the ashes and the tour at the same time but everytime  flick over to the tour the aussies loose another wicket. Good times to be a British Sports fan (apart from footie)

20/07/2013 at 12:52

Mornin!

Good hills Baz and GI! And 15 miles is still a good effort carter. I`m looking at either 13 or 15 tomorrow, hopefully.

Managed a swift 8 in Eccy Woods yesterday and then into town for Tramlines fun! Then did a ploddy 4 miles this morning. Hols now so want to crack on with training, but not end up with a stress fracture like last year!

Riggsy - hopefully see you there. I`ll PM you my mobile number as I think I have a different one to last time we met up.

22/07/2013 at 08:10

GIRO - how did parkrun go on Saturday ?

Riggsy - good running in the heat, did you do parkrun as well ?

ET - parkrunning too ? Did you get a long run in as well ?

So, I drove into Langsett car park on Saturday morning with GIRO's words ringing in my ears; brutal, tough, little cover from the elements. Fortunately the weather had cooled right down - http://app.strava.com/activities/68423642..

I joined the missus for her C25K training in the after and on Sunday we cycled around Ladybower, Derwent and Howden. Last night I took the mutt up tio Burbidge for a 3 mile recovery run

22/07/2013 at 09:29

Bloody hell carter. That sounds like a lot of running over the weekend. How's the knee.

ET hope you enjoyed Tramlines. Did it feel any different this year with some venues charging?

I did Burnage parkrun on Saturday. Pretty hot and quite a hilly route with a section of steps so very happy with 24:40 given that it's only three weeks since I was very happy with 24:43 on a flat course. I think there are pacers again at South Manchester this week so I might try and stick with the 23 minute pacer and see where I get. I did 9 ish yesterday and my legs are feeling it today.

GIRO how did the sub 18 attempt go?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.