shoelaces

turns out I've been tying them wrong

14 messages
15/03/2013 at 13:19

Interesting webpage on tying shoelaces. There are 2 ways to do it - a "granny knot" (wrong) or a "reef knot" (right).

I've been doing it wrong for 25+ years! I've been trying my shoelaces with a double knot to stop them coming undone, all I needed to do was tie the first knot properly instead.

I think I'll wait a few days before I look up how you're really meant to tie a tie, the shock might be too much.

15/03/2013 at 13:34

There's a world record for tying shoelaces. (14 in one minute) 

From open laces to a tied bow, undo and repeat. 

I did 17 out of curiosity.

My life is full of thrills.

15/03/2013 at 14:00

Tom, I wouldn't worry, I do about 10knots in my trainers pre race, such is my paranoia about them coming undone.

Which they have done on a couple of cross country races, which was a little hairy, but just about ok.

Losing the bottom half of my shoe ina  race once was more of a worry!

Rafiki    pirate
15/03/2013 at 15:18

elastic laces - simples!

15/03/2013 at 15:31

Sandals!

16/03/2013 at 14:58

Went to the gym last night. Tied my laces. Turns out I've been tying granny knots for 30 years! I tied the other one the correct way. Made little difference to my gym session (then then I do double knot by laces so they never come undone anyway!). The properly tied one did look better!

16/03/2013 at 17:25

I tie my laces in a multitude of different ways - the knots and bows, they still all come undone. 
I have tried a variety of lock laces or elastic laces, they all have their problems, it's mainly because I have such strange shaped feet.
I hadn't realised before but I've been looking at other peoples feet in the shower after swimming and I do declare that my feet are the strangest shape I've seen.

16/03/2013 at 17:28

Tuck the loose ends of laces under the rest.

Its the bouncing about that undoes the knots.

16/03/2013 at 17:34

I went to that website and now I can't tie my shoes. Looks like it's going to have to be barefoot from now on.

16/03/2013 at 18:33

I just read that webpage 3 times - still dont understand how to do it the right way...

16/03/2013 at 19:24

If your laces are coming undone have you tried just knotting them - after you've tied them in a bow just cross the two loops and put one through underneath and pull tight - no way that will come undone on its own.   

16/03/2013 at 20:19

Im 37 .......... the last thing I want to do now is learn a new way to tie shoelaces ...... think of what else I could do with that time ..... learn a language ...... discover ancient ruins in Peru .......

17/03/2013 at 00:25

I still do bunny ears. Not sure what the website would say to that!

17/03/2013 at 09:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA

This demonstrates it perfectly.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.