Singers/Bands that you just can't understand why other people like

61 to 74 of 74 messages
23/10/2012 at 13:53

I like Tindersticks a lot

However, SWMBO, or anyone else I know can't understand why?

I point to tracks like;

Cherry Blossoms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKHWsaXbg

My Sister

BearSkin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbc7GkZkTtA&feature=fvwrel

Tiny Tears

Buried Bones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvFnn8ZHQw&feature=related

Travelling Light
Lets Pretend

City Sickness

No More Affairs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrIBlFEUqM&feature=relmfu

Etc........ and I still get asked "Why?"

23/10/2012 at 14:27

Bands/artists that people rave about that I don't get :

Hate:

Coldplay if I never hear them again it will be too soon. I know a girl who has Coldplay lyrics tattooed on her ribs. Out of all the songs, plays, books, poems, historical quotes in the English language she chose two lines from 'Paradise' by Coldplay. Ugh.

The Smiths and Morrissey, can't stand his stupid voice. I can appreciate that he must have some modicum of talent as a songwriter, because I really like covers other artists have done of Smiths songs but every time I hear Morrissey I want to smash something

Bob Dylan. I had a flatmate who used to play the same Bob Dylan album for hours on end every day. Put a sock in it!  (but, again, can appreciate that he's a good songwriter, love Hendricks' 'All Along The Watchtower' and Rage 'Maggie's Farm')

Ambivilent : The Foo Fighters Yeah I get that Dave Grohl is a good drummer but they just leave me cold. I quite like The Pretender but I'd rather listen to Nirvana.

Oasis Had some decent songs but haven't done anything good since about 1998. Didn't Noel admit they had basically written the first two albums before they were signed, and were unable to come up with anything good after that?

The Beatles ... nope, sorry. Just don't get them. Catchy, inoffensive music but why are they revered so much? I do wonder if John Lennon was still alive whether people would make such a fuss over them. I'd rather listen to The Rolling Stones any day.

I love David Bowie though! And Prince. Two of my all time favourite artists  Both super-creative and both seem to make music for music's sake, not chasing a Christmas No 1 (I'm not counting those years when Prince released a stupid number of albums to end his contract with Warner Bros).

23/10/2012 at 14:29
Richard A Thackeray wrote (see)

Me too! They are awesome. My mum knows one of them really well too

23/10/2012 at 14:30

Hendricks? Thinking about gin again  I meant Hendrix

Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2012 at 14:52

Xine267..  you asked about The Beatles..

The Beatles were hugely significant and it goes well beyond the songs they wrote.  They were hugely influential in pioneering multi-track recording techniques...  they constantly pushed the boundaries, invented new sounds and ways of recording and the sheer volume of their back-catalogue is still vastly bigger than most bands that followed...     the actual songs themselves, like all the bands talked about here, is obviously personal taste..

23/10/2012 at 15:14

Agreed with Darth Vader re: The Beatles and the massive influence they had. Also, I think the art of writing a catchy pop song (and not in a throwaway way, but a tune which will stand the test of time and still be known and sung along to by pretty much everyone in a pub 50 years later) is a massively underestimated talent, and Lennon/McCartney were absolute masters of that. 

I think with a lot of the bands mentioned - Beatles, Hendrix, Stones, Bowie etc. - you have to put them into context of when they were about and what the music scene was like at the time to understand why they stood out and became quite so revered - usually what they were doing was quite groundbreaking for the time.

Also The Smiths/Morrissey seem to be cropping up a lot. I think the problem is that Morrissey's voice is definitely an acquired taste and I can understand why a lot of people hate it and can't see past it. But he was a great lyricist and there can't be many indie guitarists out there who aren't at least indirectly influenced by Johnny Marr's work, and as a songwriting duo they worked brilliantly together and were a hugely influential band.

Personally, I've never really got Radiohead, even though I usually quite like miserabilist music. A bit too self-indulgent for my tastes I think.

23/10/2012 at 15:19
xine267 wrote (see)
Richard A Thackeray wrote (see)

Me too! They are awesome. My mum knows one of them really well too

Blimey someone else!!!!
Part of the problem is describing them & what they write/play

And 'ditto' British Sea Power & Arcade Fire

23/10/2012 at 15:26

I used to have a Tindersticks album - the one with Milky Teeth on. I really liked that song.

23/10/2012 at 15:35

+1 for Radiohead - always reminds me of the episode of Father Ted with the depressed priest though 

23/10/2012 at 16:14
lardarse wrote (see)

Pet shop poofs, can't stand that dicks whiny voice.

Have you beamed here from the 1970s?

24/10/2012 at 15:26

abba, coldplay, rihanna, all dubstep, radiohead

i cant stand any of the above.

24/10/2012 at 16:48

I rarely put music on. 

I couldn't name, or hum, an Adele or Jessie J song, the only Amy Winehouse I would recognise is the one about rehab.

My car radio is usually on R4, and I don't ever turn the radio on in the house. 

My OH subjects me to Paul McCartney, the Beach Boys, Roy Harper...   It's cruel!

24/10/2012 at 16:58

Leona Lewis (has anyone mentioned her yet?)

24/10/2012 at 18:45

3 bands whose enormous popularity I have never been able to fathom are:

1. Queen - accepted that Freddie Mercury was an exceptional frontman, but the music ?

2. U2 - I didn't like them when they first emerged on the "post punk" scene in the late '70's and I've never liked them since.

3. Coldplay - just dull and derivative.

Others artists I can think of are Tina Turner, Cher and Meatloaf (for similar reasons - far too overblown and mock-dramatic), Barclay James Harvest (the '70's Coldplay) and almost any American hard rock band like Aerosmith, Van Halen and their like.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 74 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.