Single, would like to meet....

RW dating thread

81 to 100 of 145 messages
15/01/2013 at 15:35

I suppose the answer for us, Eggyh73 and by eck is that we will just have to look outside of the normal circle of friends and acquintances when the time comes. It's daunting. I'm not that thrilled about the prospect of "dating" etc after about 7+yrs!!

15/01/2013 at 15:48

Um, chaps, this thread is 'Single, would like to meet' not 'Single, would NOT like to meet'

15/01/2013 at 15:50
Demon Barber wrote (see)

It's daunting. I'm not that thrilled about the prospect of "dating" etc after about 7+yrs!!

I was the same after 17 years. Although there wasn't much in the way of dating happened anyway, so the dauntingness in my case was unwarranted!

15/01/2013 at 15:51

Too true. That did occur to me, I was just reading some articles and started noseing around this thread. I might look it up again in a while when I'm in better shape.

Cheers chaps, I should be doing actual work anyway!

15/01/2013 at 16:15

I was single for a couple of years (in my early 40s).  Most of my friends were married or living together.

The single male friends were lovely blokes but...  None of my women friends were single.

I met someone at a social organised via this very website.  That was seven years ago 

15/01/2013 at 16:16

Been through it myself DB.  Send time with friends that don't demand anything from you, and don't rush.  Good luck x

15/01/2013 at 17:48

I don't intend to be doing the dating bit.  I've never gone looking for anyone and I don't intend to now.  Either someone will come along and we will click straight away, or something will develop from a friendship.

I think that dating puts you in a false environment.  You do stuff you wouldn't normally do because you are trying to impress rather than just relaxing and seeing what happens.  You are never going to impress if you are trying too hard and the more stressed you are about it all the more likely you are to do or say something stupid.

15/01/2013 at 20:49

Demon Barber - Look on the brightside you have a son to love and look after. That's more than many have.

SuperCaz - That sounds like an interesting plan. Guess it could work if you have a good social circle. I've always been laid back (been told too much so by a mates wife) and never did try to impress or be someone I'm not on dates. That seemed to work fine when I was younger, but on the very few dates I've had since becoming single I've went one and out each time.

Although having never really had to date in my adult years meant I really struggled to figure out what to do on a date. I always thought it was about getting to know the other person, but from reading many a profile on dating sites it seemed many women wanted to be "surprised" or have some sort of epic adventure as the first date.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 20:50
15/01/2013 at 21:31

(peers nervously in, afraid of being mobbed by all the laydeez)

Well, I'm single since getting divorced just over 10 years ago and I have to say that I'm perfectly happy. Oh yes, the specifications: early 50s, reasonable shape for age (I hope), gsoh, solvent and moderately presentable (again, I hope). Had a couple of dates in that time but they led nowhere and I'm relaxed about that. Not really searching, tbh - women can smell desperation. Good things come to those who take it easy. But on the other hand, I might be quite set in my ways and not a good candidate to share my space ... dunno, really ...

15/01/2013 at 21:46

i was once single - i'm now 55 and  proud grandad to 5

not quite sure where the years have gone though-

16/01/2013 at 06:25

Oh Muttley (batting eyelashes) you sound purrfect .  Do you like cats?

16/01/2013 at 17:27

I could describe myself as mature gent, loves cats

I don't have any of my own but the neighbours do, on both sides. And across the road. I get plenty of quality time with them without the food and vet's bills!

16/01/2013 at 20:02

Good start.  Where do you stand on housework / cooking?  This is a very tricky question and difficult to answer correctly.

16/01/2013 at 20:11
I tend to stand on the floor. Makes much less mess
16/01/2013 at 20:49
kittenkat wrote (see)

Oh good grief.

How did that get there?

17/01/2013 at 19:54
LouiseG wrote (see)

Good start.  Where do you stand on housework / cooking?  This is a very tricky question and difficult to answer correctly.

Hmmm. Well, Muttley mansions gets a quick dust and hoover usually every springtime, whether the place needs it or not. When cooking, I tend to stand between the hob and the bottle of wine.

My favourite ever quote, which is about cats inter alia, is by a writer called Robert Heinlein - "Cats and women will do as they please and dogs and men should just relax and accept it."

18/01/2013 at 08:34

Well, that answer, along with reasonable-lookingness (already attested) is pretty much what I was looking for.  Good work.  Assuming it is (i) Champagne or other sparkling appropriate to circumstances (eg Prosecco / Italy) before any cooking activity starts (ii) full-bodied red wine during (iii) glass of tawny Port after .

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 10:02
23/01/2013 at 15:49

This thread has died a death I think, none the less, I thought I would put my details down here for anyone who might view and be interested in a chat.

I'm 31, Male, Single (separated but will be happilly Divorced this year!!) I have a young Son, he's a happy little man. I have short Brown hair, Blue Eyes, I'm 5'10 or 11, Im in good shape.

I'm honest, I like a laugh, I like to chat, probably talk too much. I like Films, Wine, Music, and to generally be entertained!! I like outdoor things as well, Running (of course) but I also like just going for a walk etc. I'm quite laid back. I don't tend to get stressed too much, what will be will be.

Ideally I would like someone my own age or older although I don't consider age to be an obstacle. Looks are not a big deal either, there are are more important things to consider. Would like someone with a good sense of humour, likes to just hang out really, I'm not a Clubber, I like going to the Pub with my friends, someone quite chipper or chatty would suit me well, I like people that have a positive outlook and really enjoy life. I like people who are up front about what they think or feel and can easily communicate those things. If I decide I would like a new relationship I will be taking things nice and slowly but relationships should be fun and although I don't need anyone to have a fulfilling life, I would like someone to have some good times with. If any of this stuff strikes a chord feel free to send me a message to chat.

23/01/2013 at 21:28

oh to be 31 again

23/01/2013 at 21:28

or 41 even

81 to 100 of 145 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.