Six Nations - 2011

The wonder of rugby ;-)

81 to 100 of 130 messages
26/02/2011 at 21:08

Can someone explain to me why England keep picking Danny Care? He seems almost ponderous compared to Young, or indeed, a glacier.

It was certainly tight, but you were waiting for France to let rip - shame they never quite did. Mind you, the rain probably didn't help.

26/02/2011 at 21:12

TBH one fo the best games of rugby i have seen for ages...not good for the nerves as an England supporter though....Thought Hartley was awesome throughout.

Crash Hamster    pirate
27/02/2011 at 19:59

England's back row is damn good; not sure Mr Moody would get back in the side...

Seems to have been lots of focus on how France might have scored, when England had two tries disallowed (no quibble over the forward pass, but I ve seen them given; the Trundle try looked perfectly legit to me...)

Couldn't agree more about Danny Care; here's a radical thought; why not play Youngs for the whole 80 minutes..?

27/02/2011 at 20:30

Rougerie came close, just needed the ball to bounce differently. But apart from that most of the moves were a bit lateral.

Not convinced by Ireland today, Scotland came close to nicking it.

Think England will probably get a Grand Slam.

A small part of me sniggered when Ashton swan-dived his "try"

28/02/2011 at 09:03
hmmm

Wales won without playing rugby - if Italy had kicked their penalties it might have been interesting

England v France game was good - some interesting stuff and the right result in the end

Scotland v Ireland was a dull game - I fell asleep - but Ireland deserved the win due to their tries, but it really could have gone either way. the game was also ruined by my countryman Nigel Owens who had a shocker - he can't ref a scrum to save his life at the mo.
28/02/2011 at 09:34

The Irishman sitting behind me was of the same opinion re Nigel Owens FB and I kind of agree.  I much prefer Southern Hemisphere refs ... they tend to be more inclined to let the game flow ... and also they're better eyecandy

The last 20 minutes was anything but dull.  Lots of Scotland pressure and good defending by the Irish.  I thought we didn't really deserve a win .... would  have been nice but not earned.

28/02/2011 at 10:45

England V France game

If Ben Youngs would have had just a little bit of support from some of his teammates when he was probing the gaps, England would have won by a far greater margin - I counted at least two occasions where Young was looking for a short offload and nobody was awake enough to support him - on the inside nor on the outside.

If England get that part of their attacking game right - they'll be some team.   I'm really looking forward to the World Cup now.  I'm not sure they can win it, it may have come too early - but this is a team on the ascendancy and if they continue their form and don't hit too many injuries to key players they can only get better.  

Edited: 28/02/2011 at 10:48
08/03/2011 at 13:30

BOING!

Penultimate weekend coming up: Italy v. France, Wales v. Ireland and England v. Scotland

I see Lievremont has made some more bizarre changes for the match against Italy:

Il est fou! 

Chabal starts, Harinordoquy is on the bench and Vincent Clerc will be playing at No 9. I think he has finally lost the plot...

08/03/2011 at 13:39

LN

I think some selections are with the World Cup in mind.  If they always play the best 15 there isn't game time for players on the fringe who might be needed in the case of injury.

08/03/2011 at 13:46
Actually that's a good point bos1. But I don't understand why he keeps playing Chabal, he's been awful the last 2 games.
08/03/2011 at 13:55
Agree with you, chabal always seems capable of messing up.
08/03/2011 at 14:09
Chabal is no longer the player he was - am surprised he's been picked let alone starting. But I guess against Italy it gives him an opportunity to do something ahead of WC selection as theoretically, France should turn Italy over easily - if he doesn't perform against Italy then he's out of contention. Medard coming back at full back will help as well as Poitrenaud was awful against England - well out of sorts compared to last season.

I see my lot have selected Hook at fly half again - not sure about that, but at least we have the ever reliable Wellies on the bench to pick up any shit Hook leaves behind (although I hope he doesn't!!). It should be the closest game of the weekend and and I fear we could lose if we don't play well or give too many penalties away (although Ireland have been guilty of that as well) - and Ireland have a very good away record in Cardiff.....
10/03/2011 at 15:40
Hope that the standard improves, lot of mistakes in the games so far.  Wales Ireland could be a good game, the Ireland team is not far off from the best 15 - Kearney and Ferris the only notable absentees - but the form hasnt been there yet.  Maaybe old age is catching up with too many of them.
10/03/2011 at 16:46

I suspect a lot of the Irish team will be retiring after the World Cup, bos1.

Wales v. Ireland is the hardest to call as both teams have had good games and bad games. And Ireland have a good record in Cardiff, as Wales do in Dublin!

France should beat Italy but maybe Italy are due a good result, would be typical if the first "big" team they beat in the 6 Nations is France.

Can't see anything other than an English victory against Scotland and probably by a large margin.

10/03/2011 at 18:53

While the standard hasn't been too high, I thought there have been some exciting games so far.  Is that reduced standard in the basics the price of teams trying to play a game that doesn't come naturally - the open running game which is favoured by the SH?

I'm pretty nervous about Sunday's game.  Scotland may not have won at Twickenham for 25+ years, but they always raise their game for an England encounter.  And England are bound to slip up at some point as all teams do.  The good thing though is that of the press coverage I've seen, all the England players and coaches are saying how much they respect the Scots and it's going to be a tough game etc, so at least they wont have antagonised them.  I'm sure behind closed doors it's very different though. 

Predictions - France, Ireland, England.

12/03/2011 at 14:05

Forza Italia!

Allez Les Bleus!

Good luck everyone else!

*settles in for afternoon on the sofa*

12/03/2011 at 16:21

Well done Italy, thoroughly deserved win and special well done to Mirco nailing that last kick.

France need to do something and quickly as they are playing like they don't know each other.

Off to sulk now

GKD
12/03/2011 at 16:26

Well I didn't expect that!

And now onto the main course.......

GKD
12/03/2011 at 16:33
With you on that one mate..top job Italy
12/03/2011 at 16:34

F*** off John Inverdale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you not spend 5 mins NOT talking about how England are going to win the Grand Slam and the World Cup?!?!?

They're not playing until tomorrow, how about spending a bit of time talking about Wales and Ireland?

81 to 100 of 130 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.