Skincare products: Just a rip off?

Or do any of them work?

21 to 40 of 103 messages
02/11/2009 at 13:43

I can highly recomend the No 7 serum. I have used it for a few years now; and while to a large extent any moisturiser is better than nothing I am convinced the serum has helped prevent ageing and wrinkles. I agree with Sass, on a morning I put the serum on, leave it to sink in then I use a tinted moisteriser and thats it.

I must confess to using the No 7 night cream though, I'm as much a sucker for  a nice marketing campaign as the next girl .

By the way you can really cut down on the cost by taking advantage of their 3 for 2 offers, makes it quite reasonable then.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
02/11/2009 at 13:56
Carol48 wrote (see)

I can highly recomend the No 7 serum. I have used it for a few years now; and while to a large extent any moisturiser is better than nothing I am convinced the serum has helped prevent ageing and wrinkles. I agree with Sass, on a morning I put the serum on, leave it to sink in then I use a tinted moisteriser and thats it.

I must confess to using the No 7 night cream though, I'm as much a sucker for  a nice marketing campaign as the next girl .

By the way you can really cut down on the cost by taking advantage of their 3 for 2 offers, makes it quite reasonable then.

still not sure why any moisturiser is better than none......if the moisturiser just clogs up the pores then can't be good..........

I'm cynical of the whole market. If wrinkles are a sign of age then I will just have to get used to them....If the anti wrinkle cream just hydrates the skin why not just drink plenty of water and let your body do the work......

I don't do makeup or moisturiser or any creams whatsoever and i don't think i look any older than my age......unless I have a hangover.........

is it the case that the more makeup you use the more other creams you have to use to undo the damage the make up does??

02/11/2009 at 14:09
I got a free trial of the Nivea Q10 plus Eye Cream, i have horrible black bags under my eyes and this cream has definately helped reduce them, not sure about wrinkles though as ive not got any round my eyes....yet!
02/11/2009 at 15:50
I got an anti-aging cream in the goody bag at the Cardiff Half.  Nivea for men, it was.  I've used it every day since, and I don't think I look any older.
02/11/2009 at 15:54

I am just wondering whether in the days before all these products were pedalled, women had really bad skin and those in other cultures with no products like that also have bad skin?

innit to do with a media generated insecurity and providing a "solution" that will cost you?

02/11/2009 at 15:55
There was Nivea for Men anti-aging cream given away at the Bristol Half.  I gave it to my 42-year old running mate, he now looks 12.
Double 0    pirate
02/11/2009 at 16:06

I'm not sure there was a time before skin care. Olive oil, milk were used before there were products. In fact egg white can be use as a mini face lift.  

I'm quite atopic so I need moisturiser, it fills in the gaps between the skin cells and stops dust and other yucky thing getting in to your skin. Moisturiser also stops the skin losing water, it doesn't put any water in to your skin, you need to drink more to do that.

As for anti-aging stay out of the sun. I do use boots number 7 because I like it.

02/11/2009 at 16:13

mm Double 0 - yes we have took care of our skin and other cultures have. Nature provided. We did not spend a lot of money on a specifically made product. Women and menm managed before didnt they?

Isnt it merely making a market out of it?

02/11/2009 at 16:16

Oh, but it's all got elasticated collagen enhancing science bits now!  Surely that's worth it's weight in gold?

It's lucky I got a load of moisturiser for xmas because I was looking around for a large number of female virgins so that I could bathe in their blood.  It's a tough market for them around here!

02/11/2009 at 16:18

virgins? -not many round my end

(not these days anyway)

Edited: 02/11/2009 at 16:19
02/11/2009 at 16:19
Must be your pick-up lines...
02/11/2009 at 16:20
lol -wouldnt know where to start now
Double 0    pirate
02/11/2009 at 16:22

I think the moisturisers that are in the shops now are better than what you can use from nature. Egg and olive oil do the job but they are quite messy and not nice to use. You also needed more time to use them.

I do make my own body salt scrub, good olive oil and fine salt.  

02/11/2009 at 16:22

It is creating a market, but I'm happy to spend more on face creams because at the end of the day it's my choice. I'm fully aware they're expensive because of their advertising budgets, layers of packaging and the twice yearly "free" promotions (buy 2 of our products and get a goody bag free) I also know that a simple cream such as E45 will probably do just as good a job at preventing wrinkles.

People spend money on make up on and skin care for a whole host of reasons that have nothing or little to do with how well they actually work, in the same way what some people will also be happy to spend money on designer clothes, £150 running shoes and £30,000 cars.

I was at a recent day at my local hospital where the 12 of us there came home with goody bags stuffed with between £250 and £300 of cosmetics. It was free for us all, and 2 Boots beauty reps were there to give us all a makeover. It's an acknowlegement by the cosmetic companies that looking good can help women feel better, and to have all these cosmetics to play with was a great boost to many of us. I had to wait over 3 months to get a place, which shows how popular it is.

02/11/2009 at 16:23
How about "Hi, do you use anti-aging creams?"
02/11/2009 at 16:23
Has anyone tried single cream or butter. My Gran swear that using this made her look so young, she attracted toyboys.
02/11/2009 at 16:25
didnt she fall off the bed though RM?
02/11/2009 at 16:29
Butter, turns my toast back into bread if I use enough!
02/11/2009 at 17:09

I was asked if I had any ID the other day buying beer and fizzy cola laces

I thought the checkout woman was either paritally sighted or joking! She asked me 'my secret' and the only thing I could offer was 'sunscreen'.

I've never used soap or normal cleansers on my face - i massage some almond oil in then wash it off with a hot flannel.

I wear a sunscreen lotion instead of moisturiser all year round. For extra moisture occasionally I'll use body shop cocoa butter on my face.

Hope    pirate
02/11/2009 at 17:26

It took me ages to find a cream I liked. I can suffer with spots too but I really wanted to steer clear of stuff loaded with chemicals.

I found the Dr Hauschka stuff good and not too pricey. The boots No7 moisturiser brought me out in a load of horrible spots and red blotches!!  Sunscreen is the way forward though I think, especially when training out doors as much as we do.

Linky /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

21 to 40 of 103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.