Skincare products: Just a rip off?

Or do any of them work?

81 to 100 of 103 messages
05/11/2009 at 23:11
Why buy expensive moisturisers with SPF when sunscreen will do the job?

Night creams - in my opinion they are hype. You want your skin to breathe and replinish itself at night not be clogged up with moisturiser. A bit like putting antiperspirant on before bed, what's the point?

If you use a hydrating cleanser like Liz Earle or oil based one (almond oil) your skin's not dry and stripped of its oils so you don't need a night cream.

Hydration - drinking water makes NO difference, sorry. Tests have been done with identical twins on this - one drinking 3 litres a day the other a minimal amount. NO difference is the water content of the dermal layers.
06/11/2009 at 14:59

I'm not a particularly girly girl  when it comes to make up etc but thought I'd contribute as I recently found quite a good product.  I've got fairly dry skin and patches of horrible red rosacea on my cheeks for the last two/three years (since having children -  gotta love those hormones......).  Anyway, the Body Shop Vitamin E facial oil has improved my skin and the red patches no end.  Have only been using it for the last few weeks and have no scientific proof but it seems to be working.  Oh and it's not particularly expensive

I get spots sometimes because, according to my beauty therapist friend, I have dry skin and don't exfoliate..........  But then she also thinks I should manicure/pedicure every week and straighten my hair each morning.  Clearly, she has more hours in her day than I have managed to find

I hope you find something that works for you Kitten Kat
seren nos    pirate
06/11/2009 at 20:57
towner wrote (see)

hello. this is mrs towner!

towner has been reading this thread and has asked me to have a little session with all you ladies that are having 'does it work or not' issues with your anti-aging creams,

well i am a no7 consultant, and ive been looking at some of the true and false comments about anti-aginging creams and would like to help out if i can.

firstly, those of you that believe that staying out of the sun are spot on, the major part of any good cream is the spf. you need a minimum of 15 in this climate on a daily basis.all good creams will provide this, as this is the most important part of any cream. the next part depends on your primary and secondary skincare concerns, do you worry about lines or firmness or age spots (sun damage). think about what you want from a cream and find one that suits your particular need. at no7 we provide a cream for every need.

you do need a seperate day and night cream (this is not a trick to get you to spend more money) day creams are full of anti oxidents which help to combat all the crap that your skin goes through every day,ie pollution, coffee, rubbish in your diet etc, and they also contain an spf, night creams dont need this ( cos you are asleep) and are much richer than day creams. this is because, your skin is more receptive to care while you are sleeping, so this is a good opportunity to give it a major boost,

no7 has been proven to reduce the signs of aging, and no other cream has done this, and yes we funded the research, but the research included many other creams, not just ours, but it was also independent, and the results were in no way bias towards no7, the professor that carried out the research, can be contacted thru manchester university. the research itself took over a year to complete, and was tested on over 1000 women, with different skin types, i wont use anything else.

use the serum, followed by the day/night cream for the best results, the eye cream is amazing too, i cant live without it.

all i can really say is, to take care of your skin, stay out of the sun, limit your booze, dont smoke, drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, and follow a good beauty regime which includes the right day and night cream for your needs, and use a serum first, if you are not sure, ask a consultant, thats our job, we are here to help you,

hope this helps <3

interesting info....but when you mention things to do .......you don't mention avoid makeup which I believe leads to many of skin problems as its not natural to your skin......does No 7 do a make up range as well....
06/11/2009 at 21:20
A great exfoliating face mask is to mix up some gram flour with lemon juice and honey. Slap it on to clean skin. Leave for a few mins and scrub / rinse off with a hot flannel. (My friend's mum used told me this one and she had gorgeous skin).
07/11/2009 at 10:42
seren , ill check when the good lady comes home! (pretty sure they do though)
07/11/2009 at 11:09

Siance wrote (see)
A great exfoliating face mask is to mix up some gram flour with lemon juice and honey. Slap it on to clean skin. Leave for a few mins and scrub / rinse off with a hot flannel. (My friend's mum used told me this one and she had gorgeous skin).

OMG, doesn't it make you laugh.  I spend a fortune on over the counter products and all the time i've got those ingredients sitting in my kitchen.   
07/11/2009 at 12:30
seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)
interesting info....but when you mention things to do .......you don't mention avoid makeup which I believe leads to many of skin problems as its not natural to your skin......does No 7 do a make up range as well....

No7 have a make up range. This coming from someone who use to work for the firm.

The face cream is a big market and most of them are pretty much useless.
Each product claim they will reduce wrinkles and fine lines but you are spending
huge money just to be young. Face facts, we all grow old and look old. There is no
magic formula and the market is full of creams just waiting for those to buy in the
hope it will keep their youthful looks.

seren nos    pirate
07/11/2009 at 16:30
but if they sold less make up wouldn't they then sell less creams to restore your skins....
Aitch!    pirate
07/11/2009 at 17:37
SPF moisturiser in the morning.

Eve Lom cleanser every night. It's amazing. Sorted!

M...eldy    pirate
07/11/2009 at 18:46
Minimal make up

No foundation or rubbish

Simple Cleanser

Olay or Nivea day cream

A face that could launch a 1000 ships   
Aitch!    pirate
07/11/2009 at 20:43
I don't wear make-up, it helps with not clogging up!
07/11/2009 at 22:49
If the cosmetics industry had to prove that their products worked before they were allowed to sell them there would be a lot of companies going out of business very quickly and a lot of empty shelves in the chemist. 
12/06/2012 at 14:33

I have using water and towel from last 55 year on my normal & human skin. It is simple universal solvent always on hand for addition to alcohol.

12/06/2012 at 18:16

Dear John - I prefer spam. It's much better for your skin,.

Edited: 12/06/2012 at 18:17
12/06/2012 at 19:18
John Smith 110 wrote (see)

I have using astral from last 1 year for my dry & sensitive skin. It is simple but very effective moisturizer.

I prefer germoloids, if it can shrink piles then i'm sure it can shrink my wrinkles.....  

12/06/2012 at 19:19

Yes, where is Siance these days.

12/06/2012 at 20:34

LWJ - best not to quote the spam links otherwise the link stays

Siance was fab. I've never forgotten her story about her bf's mobile phone. It seemed so out of character for her. Let's start a bring back the old forumites campaign

13/06/2012 at 09:13

Oh heck didn't think of LN

Yes, there are a few forumites who have disappeared over the months. 

13/06/2012 at 09:17
Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
John Smith 110 wrote (see)

I have using astral from last 1 year for my dry & sensitive skin. It is simple but very effective moisturizer.

I prefer germoloids, if it can shrink piles then i'm sure it can shrink my wrinkles.....  

Must be industrial strength then LWJ 

13/06/2012 at 16:34

81 to 100 of 103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.