Skincare products: Just a rip off?

Or do any of them work?

1 to 20 of 103 messages
02/11/2009 at 09:42
parce que je vaux bien
Edited: 02/11/2009 at 09:44
02/11/2009 at 09:56

I use Olay Total Effects - not terribly expensive compared to some of the "miracle" stuff you can shell out on (about £12 compared to £40+ for some) and the few times I've stopped using it for a while (if it's not been on special offer in Tescos.......), even Mr Nessie has noticed that my skin doesn't look as good.

I did treat myself to a jar of posh (Lancome) stuff at £45 once (had gift vouchers) but I didn't find it as good.

I also have naturally dry skin, the odd spot, and some "character" lines.........

02/11/2009 at 10:13

I don't know if it's really true, but I think it's the case that much of the damage to your skin (causing ageing) is sun damage, so I always use something with factor 15 protection - usually oil of olay.

I don't think I'm very wrinkly at all but think my face is looking a bit "loose" 

02/11/2009 at 10:14
My girlfriend repeatedly suggests I get wrinkle cream.
02/11/2009 at 10:18
for the bollocks??
02/11/2009 at 10:20
Don, I think she said winkle cream.  Try it.  It may help with the itching.
02/11/2009 at 10:22

I use Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion everywhere - even on my face.

I can't be doing with spending a load of money on that kind of stuff.  I tried some of the l'Oreal products a few years ago, but they didn't seem any better than the cocoa butter!

I have a few (OK, quite a few) 'laugh' lines (and a couple of frown lines, too), but what's the point of trying to look younger than you are?

02/11/2009 at 10:26
I find Clarins pretty good.
02/11/2009 at 10:37

I use cocoa butter too.  Love the stuff. 

I find it no different to the expensive creams

02/11/2009 at 10:49
Estee Lauder Night Repair is really good.
Also something called Bio Oil which can be used day and night.

02/11/2009 at 11:11
02/11/2009 at 11:23

KK - it depends where the spots are.  Spots on the jaw and chin are more due to hormones than anything else.  I can't use Olay as that brings be out in spots.  Currently using Simple products and they're pretty good.

02/11/2009 at 11:25
kk, you been into Boots and came away with nothing.
I think some Boots stores do have skincare advisors. Don`t ask me why but I use to
work for the firm. The No7 Protect & Perfect body serum which create a stir last year is
very popular with ladies and wrinkles and they are normally 3 for 2 on the No7 range.

Personally, I use Nivea Q10 Firming Lotion in the morning and Cocca Butter skin soothing lotion
at night and it seems to keep my face young. As a bloke, one must look best for the ladies.
02/11/2009 at 11:27
i use SIMPLE range very good
02/11/2009 at 11:29

KK- I use neutrogena norwegian formula face cream. I was given it last year as a present when I was doing my FLM training in the wind rain and snow and I have never used anything else since. Its about £7 a tube.

02/11/2009 at 11:36

KK, I get spots when I'm stressed or tired.  Maybe you are a bit run down?

I never got spots when I was younger and a teenager, I've only started getting them when I got into my 20's. 

Now I'm in my 30's I seem to have permanent ones on my chin.  I'm always stressed about something

02/11/2009 at 11:38

I think skincare it utterly hit and miss.  As with most things in life, what suits one person doesn't suit another.  You have to try lots of different things and use what works for you.

Lots of the concession stands in department stores will give away samples for you to try.  Lots of websites of skin care manufacturers will send you samples too.  Try lots, decide for yourself.  Best to have something with sunscreen in for march to October.

Spots might be hormonal, stress or diet related, rather than skin care regime.  Having said that, on the recommendation of a friend I bought some origins face cleanser and my skin has been clear ever since.  Its lovely stuff.

As for looking younger, there are products that smooth the lines, taughten the skin etc but its a faff about with eye cream, serums etc.  Nice for the odd nice out, but not for pre-school run.  You are of an age where you are just going to get lines.  Just move so fast no-one will notice!

02/11/2009 at 11:46

I use E45 moisturising lotion or the thicker cream when my skin is really dry. The lotion is under £6 for a huge bottle. 

The No.7 protect & perfect serum has been clinically tested and peer reviewed and was the only stuff out of the most popular (and expensive) stuff on the market that had ingredients in it that would actually work to reduce wrinkles - that's why it caused such a stir.  I don't know if the rest of the range has undergone the same process.

Still get spots now and I'm nearly 50 .

02/11/2009 at 12:00

KK, get the No 7 serum but don't bother with any of the creams that go with it; just use your usual moisturiser.  Give the serum time to dry before putting your moisturiser over it.  I had a huge allergic reaction earlier this year, which left the skin on my face with dramatic lines where there had previously been none, which the dermatologist said had been caused by the swelling that stretched my skin.  He thought it would be like it forever!  The No 7 serum has really, really helped.

Sass xx

02/11/2009 at 12:42
kittenkat wrote (see)
The thing is that if you look at any of the major brands, they all have day cream/night cream/eye cream. This is where I get cynical......

The day/night creams are a gimmick to get you buying them.
They are no different to each other. Its just classic marketing to make you think you
need the day cream and night cream and spend a fortune on the same stuff.
1 to 20 of 103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.