Slimming World vs Weight Watchers

which is better for runners?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
24/07/2008 at 22:46

I found when I did WW, I was hungry all the time, but with SW I could eat lots and lots and lots of free food.

Neither seemed to address "why" we have poor eating habits, and the SW exercise scheme seemed easy in the extreme, from what I remember, you could get reward certificates for parking your car a bit further away from Tescos main door.

The SW group leader couldn't explain why I could eat canned macaroni cheese till it came out of my ears if I wanted to as a free food, but if I made it from scratch myself I had to count the flour, milk and cheese as Sins.

25/07/2008 at 14:17
I found that with sw, I wanted to whizz som Macaroni Cheese down to make a cheese sauce, but I was told I could do that with out counting it as i sin!!!!!
25/07/2008 at 20:42

Well, it's all much of a muchness as far as I'm concerned. I'm doing WW (points) and have lost near to 5 stone now (with another 6 to go - gulp!).I only go to get weighed - I can't abide the meetings. So I can tell you that it works when combined with plodding. However, I have to see it as a lifelong thing as although I can lose it, I cannot keep it off. In that respect the core programme on WW will help - basically eating from a list of free foods in unlimited quantities with an allowance of pointed goodies every week and I'll be switching to that when I start my marathon training. I also think that this is more sustainable.

I know very little of SW although a friend of mine has done half heartedly for years with no effect whatsoever. And I'm not sure I like food to be called a 'syn' thank you very much.

Ultimately you need to find something that suits you and your lifestyle but once found, you'll be away.

Best o luck.

25/07/2008 at 21:34

I agree with Wilkie. Eating less calories and exercising more works every time.  Cost me nothing and I lost two stone and have kept it off for 5 years.

I am extremely sceptical about the dieting industry - it only succeeds cos most diets fail to teach people that they need to eat healthily for the rest of their life not just the duration of the "diet" and so the cycle goes on.

Re WW v SW  - I think WW is more straightforward as it steers you towards a regular pattern of healthy eating, it's simple and doesn't encourage people to view it as a quick fix diet.   Who the hell has the time to work out what to eat on red and green days anyway!!!  Can't see how that fits in if you have meals as part of a family. You'd either have to get them all on the diet or eat different food from them forever otherwise you'll simply put the weight back on, no? With WW you can simply exercise portion control. Easy

25/07/2008 at 22:59

I lost a stone and a half through SW diets. I don't think its diffiucult to work out once you've got your head round it. I have a big appetite as I've always done loads of exercise and found the free food on SW excellent. it works on my psychology really well. As soon as I'm told I can only have this much - i want more. If someone says - have as much of this as you want - I eat less. Thats how its meant to work, you eat foods that fill you (the free foods) and therefore aren't hungry for the others. I find it fits well with my training as I can have lots of carbs whenever I need them for training or events.

I've never tried WW so maybe shouldn't comment but weighing everything would do my head in. And I probably have a chocolate bar within my points and not eat any nutritional food! I exercise so much anyway that I don't feel encouraging me to do more so I can eat more would be good. And I know thats just what I would do!

I think it depends on your own mindset. SW principles work really well for me personally. Both SW and WW are based on healthy eating and are a good way to change eating habits and the stimulus of a group meeting is a good motivation, no different to joining a running club really....

Edited: 25/07/2008 at 23:01
25/07/2008 at 23:02

i only weighed stuff once

then i knew how much it was

i think what we are all saying between us is go with what suits you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.