Small, Medium or Large?

Which do you go for?

21 to 40 of 64 messages
22/06/2012 at 11:46

small

22/06/2012 at 11:48

Large is always too much so small/medium. Occasionally I like a hot chocolate but find even the small sizes are too big for me, so BF ends up drinking the rest,after his coffee...

22/06/2012 at 12:01
YOU have a boyfriend????
22/06/2012 at 12:13

;) I know it's hard to understand...

22/06/2012 at 12:24

Just as long as I don't have to say words like "venti" or "macchiato"

JvR
22/06/2012 at 13:01

I'll go for the large option in Starbucks/Costa because I'm usually in there for an hour chatting to friends and it saves queueing up again.

Anywhere else I'll go for the standard option.

I have started looking at the prices of some things that we get in our grocery shopping and checking whether buying individual tins is cheaper than buying the multi-tin packs as I noticed that there was an offer on some of the individual tins the other day which meant they were a lot cheaper than the pack I'd normally have bought.
I am trying to avoid going for the buy one get one free, two for the x pounds offers unless I know that its something that will keep and will get used or that we will use it before it goes off. 

22/06/2012 at 13:01

And while we are at it, why can't I buy a black coffee anymore?  If I ask for one they always say 'Do you mean a xyz?' and I reply, 'No, I mean a black coffee'.

22/06/2012 at 13:10
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Yeah, but if you have it at home, you eat it.

And if you go in a shop to buy one, you buy four.

So you end up eating four.

When all you wanted to do was buy one, but one was too expensive compared to four, so you bought four.

Supermarkets are forcing us to buy too much, following which we eat too much. Because it's there when we look in the cupboard.

Cobblers!  They may encourage you to buy too much, but the choice is always yours.  Same with eating it. 

22/06/2012 at 13:29

Might I suggest to the critics of multi-pack crisp offers that the manufacturers have been thoughtful enough to make each packet individually air-tight, which means that you do not have to eat all six bags at once.

I know, genius.

22/06/2012 at 13:42

I think it depends what the multibuy is.  If it is on something that forms the basis of a meal, such as pasta, tins of tomatoes etc, or something that you normally eat everyday then you don't eat any more of them.  But if it is a treat item then it would be very easy to eat them at a faster rate.

I don't buy crisps as a rule, but if I fancied one bag and found them on special offer there is a risk that I would buy more.  Then once they are in the house I would eat a packet a day until they were gone, therefore eating significantly more than I had originally intended to.

22/06/2012 at 13:47

Fair dos.  That sort of thinking actually explains why I eat so few biscuits.  Once you pop...

22/06/2012 at 13:55

I've always wondered how an odd family (3 or 5 people) get by in this world.  All multibuys are for even families.  They must have horrendous arguments about the remaining pack or bar etc. left in some multipacks.  

22/06/2012 at 13:58

Sainsbury's millionaires shortbread comes in packs of three.

22/06/2012 at 13:58

In the past I'd probably have gone for the large - portion or coffee - if the price difference wasn't that much.    

These days I'd probably think actually do I really want another 1000 calories just because it'll only cost me another couple of quid - though sometimes the answer would still be yes.   I eat fast food or visit coffee bars so rarely though that it's not a big deal - if I was popping out for coffee most days then I'd probably go smaller.  

As far as having stuff in the house goes - bit of both - I can resist biscuits or crisps but stick beer in the fridge and it's not going to last long - so I tend only to buy it if there's a football match on or I really fancy a drink but not going out.

22/06/2012 at 14:03
JF50 wrote (see)

I've always wondered how an odd family (3 or 5 people) get by in this world.  All multibuys are for even families.  They must have horrendous arguments about the remaining pack or bar etc. left in some multipacks.  

I grew up in a family of five and we used to have all sorts of arguments about this.  Some times it would come down to the bigger kids getting bigger portions (harrumph!) but you'd be amazed how many ways there are to split three Fray Bentos pies!  And yes, we did actually count the ripples on a Wall's Vienetta.

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 14:03
22/06/2012 at 14:06
JF50 wrote (see)

Or a couple of people decide they'll have the "extra one" and some poor person ends up with none at all! (Not that I'm bitter  )

22/06/2012 at 14:07

You've survived it well PhilPub.  SuperCaz there is always something to counter a well made point!!  Bet they don't do pork chops or chicken breasts in 3s though. Then again neither do chickens I suppose!

22/06/2012 at 14:16

As I am having to adapt to a household of one, I'm finding it quite hard to break previous habits and buy food in smaller quantities.  I used to have a huge kitchen, with a huge fridge and chest freezer so I could buy in bulk and store it before it went off.  I very rarely threw food out, helped by having a husband that had hollow legs so we never had left overs.

Now I have a smaller place and have nowhere to store multibuy items. Even standard packs of food are too big for me.  I bought some pesto and it did me nearly every meal for a week.  I can see the temptation to put a bit more pesto in each meal so that you use it up quicker and if you took that approach to everything then the pounds would soon pile on.

22/06/2012 at 14:18
You can buy pesto ? Strange easier to just make what you need at the time you want it
22/06/2012 at 14:22

And when I had a house with space then I would have.  But I don't have the storage space to store the left over pinenuts, or a garden to grow the basil in, or the implements to make it, and it is still a lot of faff when you only want one spoon full.

21 to 40 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.