Small, Medium or Large?

Which do you go for?

1 to 20 of 64 messages
22/06/2012 at 00:00

I look at the price and then if I could afford large I actually ask to see the container, then decide

22/06/2012 at 00:55

small.

coffee I don't drink, I drink tea and I buy acording to how thirsty I am but don't always have milk never large, usually small or medium or a pot of tea.

If it's fruit, it's large. My failing is fruit.

22/06/2012 at 01:20

Small.

22/06/2012 at 06:39

depends on what it is & price.

No, I didn't see the programme.

Oddest manifestation of this I remember seeing was when I lived in the states, they had 3 different drinks sizes - but it was free refills. I always bought a small, why would you do anything else?

22/06/2012 at 08:01

Usually depends on the actual size of the thing and what mood I'm in. I don't think I'd ever get a large in Starbucks for example, but might go for a large coffee in a cafe as it's not actually that big.  

And that breakfast was madness O_O

22/06/2012 at 08:23

I watched it. I'm always wary of food portion sizes and this has helped me lose quite a bit of weight, but strangely I'd never considered drink sizes before......I will now !

22/06/2012 at 09:03

I drink black tea and coffee (no sugar) so it makes very little difference to me if it's small medium or large. (And makes going to starbuck as bit of a waste of time)

22/06/2012 at 09:15
If you buy a tall(smallest) coffee at Starbucks you get a free refill.
22/06/2012 at 09:16
I tend to have very large cups for hot drinks and only large glasses for cold drinks. This helps me to keep hydrated.
22/06/2012 at 09:19

I very rarely buy coffee, when I do it's a small.

In food, I'd ask how big was a small/medium - I'd base my choice on how big the portion was rather than the cost.   Large would almost certainly be too big for me.

22/06/2012 at 10:00

Medium generally, but in some coffee places I will have small as they are still huge.

22/06/2012 at 10:00

I would have the size appropriate for my requirements at that moment in time

(With out having to have the government or other nanny state telling me what I should do.  I didn't watch the program as I was happy sticking pins in my eyes after last weeks episode)

22/06/2012 at 10:10
The multi buy offers are something I would like to see the back of. It encourages people to buy more than they need and waste food.

Interestingly, Sainsburys started doing a price comparison printout with your receipt. If you paid more at Sainsburys than elsewhere then you got a voucher for money off your next shop. Anything from a few pence to quite a few pounds. Very fair I thought.

Then after a while the vouchers started saying. Your shop was x pounds and pence cheaper today. It seems that they changed the way the scheme operated.

Reasons why? Maybe because it was costing them a lot of money and also because it was making them look expensive compared to other places.

I'm quite happy to pay a bit more for a better shopping experience but I hate all this marketing crap. I think I'm going to make a badge to wear in Sainsburys with "No I don't have a Nectar Card so don't ask!!" written on it.
Edited: 22/06/2012 at 10:12
22/06/2012 at 10:22

The first two programmes in that BBC2 series have been great. You start to realise the people who sell us food are enemies, not friends.

I object to the title "The men who made you fat" though. I'm sure one or two women have been involved too? 

The government should oblige supermarkets to sell us one of everything at the same price a multiple of anything works out at per item, rather than force us to buy 4/6/12/16/24packs because it's made cheaper to buy in bulk. (If you don't buy it, you won't eat it.)

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 10:23
22/06/2012 at 10:27
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

rather than force us to buy 4/6/12/16/24packs because it's made cheaper to buy in bulk. (If you don't buy it, you won't eat it.)

No one forces you to eat it.....................

22/06/2012 at 10:34

Yeah, but if you have it at home, you eat it.

And if you go in a shop to buy one, you buy four.

So you end up eating four.

When all you wanted to do was buy one, but one was too expensive compared to four, so you bought four.

Supermarkets are forcing us to buy too much, following which we eat too much. Because it's there when we look in the cupboard.

22/06/2012 at 10:37

e.g. I can't buy a packet of crisps, it's prohibitively expensive. I have to buy a pack of 6.

So I end up eating 5 more packets than I needed to. And quite quickly, probably.

Why can't I just buy one packet at crisps, at a sixth of the price of a six pack?

Because the supermarkets won't let me.

22/06/2012 at 10:38
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Yeah, but if you have it at home, you eat it.

And if you go in a shop to buy one, you buy four.

So you end up eating four.

You might, but that is only due to your poor diet and lack of self control

(But I suppose it is easier to blame someone else)

22/06/2012 at 11:31
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
If you buy a tall(smallest) coffee at Starbucks you get a free refill.

I didn't know that and I always by the tall/small size in Starbucks ... good to know for future!

If given a choice, I'd order the small size - it tends to be larger than a portion I'd have at home anyway, so I'm not missing out. My favourite is in cinemas, if I ask for a small popcorn or drink they always try to upsell it for a seemingly minimal amount. Its not the price that puts me off the large sizes at cinemas, its the size of the portions - small is easily enough to see me through a 3 hour film, medium would be too much and I'd have to sit there all day to finish the large size. Why would I want to spend extra money just to waste food?

22/06/2012 at 11:35

Small.

1 to 20 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.