Smoking before a Parkrun

Is it part of your warm up?

41 to 44 of 44 messages
05/12/2012 at 12:48

hardly spam - the Allen Carr book is a very famous and successful book

05/12/2012 at 12:52
Too Much Water wrote (see)

hardly spam - the Allen Carr book is a very famous and successful book

Oh right, I thought that you meant that the comedian Alan Carr had written a stop smoking guide. 

Ooooh errr missus, put that fag down!"

debbo    pirate
05/12/2012 at 13:22
I found the Alan Carr book really helpful when I stopped smoking and I think what Ojisan is saying is that by believing you need willpower to give up smoking implies that smoking is something that you will be missing if you don't do it, whereas AC's main premise is that if you think of yourself of having freed yourself of something undesirable it is easier. Thinking 'yay, I no lomger have to stink, waste my money blah blah' rather than focussing on the 'giving up' cos that implies by not smoking you are being deprived.

Or something like that
05/12/2012 at 15:58

EKGO wrote (see)

As long as you don't smoke during the race I suppose it's no problem, each to his own

I can remember turning out in the 80s to support my dad running the Glasgow marathon and seeing dozens of blokes puffing away at about the 15 mile mark without breaking stride. A lot of them were in front of him and he was running 3:15 - 3:30.

the dude abides wrote (see)

giving up smoking is easy

Yeah, I've done it dozens of times. LOL!

Do agree that telling everyone it's so hard to give up makes it very easy for folk to fail and not feel too bad about it. I've always suspected the 'harder to quit than heroin' thing was started by the big tobacco companies. Each time I stopped I just went cold turkey and didn't think about it after the first three days or so. Usually went back to it by drunkenly accepting an offered cigarette without thinking. The ban on smoking in pubs was probably what made me chuck it for good a few years ago...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 44 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.